Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTx View Post
I like what you said Stoneclaw, that is a very fair analysis. However, you cannot fairly compare Dallas to Vegas, although I understand what you are saying. At least Vegas has interesting terrain (albeit arrid) surrounding it and proximity to California and Grand Canyon. Those new flashing lights in Dallas are pointing in directions no one really wants to go! haha.
Decorative lighting schemes are used to draw attention to the building not point you the opposite direction....This is what Dallas' skyline draws you into:

World class Arts Venues

World class Dinning

Museums
Bad A** Hotels
And Extraordinary Living
Oh....And nightlife
And I missed alot of stuff.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM

350 posts, read 867,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Houston is much more international in feel.
You say that...

Right after I said that Houston "felt" like a squalid hellhole to me.

My feelings about Houston are just as valid as this stupid international/cosmopolitan "feel" bull**** that people on here make up.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
You say that...

Right after I said that Houston "felt" like a squalid hellhole to me.

My feelings about Houston are just as valid as this stupid international/cosmopolitan "feel" bull**** that people on here make up.
yes i agree. your reality is your own reality. Even if it is twisted

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTx View Post
Dallas, even with all its growth, still lacks the cosmopolitan feel of Houston. Perhaps that cosmopolitan feel is more an illusion than reality but nevertheless it is there. It partly has to do with the fact that Houston is greener and lusher also. Much more lusher than Dallas. Dallas has this raw, barren feel to it. After all it is a city made out of nothing. It is a pretentious, pretend city with no real geographical reason to exist. Oh and touching on a post by someone else earlier on Fort Worth; it is so true. Fort Worth has managed to create an enjoyable, vibrant downtown and even the Trinity River there has been tamed to allow for various water activities and walkways whereas Dallas has only been arguing about doing just that and hasn't really moved forward.
A little harsh, but I don't disagree.

Last edited by Nairobi; 06-28-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM

229 posts, read 305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is less socially conservative than Dallas & it shows doesn't it?
Less socially conservative, yet Dallas County votes more Democratic than Houston?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM

229 posts, read 305,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
A little harsh, but I don't disagree.
You guys are dilusional about your city. You need to face facts and accept your cities faults and try to improve it, or it will never be the city that you actually think it is. There is nothing barren and raw about Dallas and throwing out statements like that only makes your arguments look even less legitimate. And I think that if you took a poll of folks in the US, Houston would definitely not come out ahead of Dallas as far as being cosmopolitan. I don't think most folks consider Houston to be a cosmopolitan city, it just does not have that cool factor, or the reputation. I think it is considered by most folks in the US to be a big, blue-collar city.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
You guys are dilusional about your city. You need to face facts and accept your cities faults and try to improve it, or it will never be the city that you actually think it is. There is nothing barren and raw about Dallas and throwing out statements like that only makes your arguments look even less legitimate. And I think that if you took a poll of folks in the US, Houston would definitely not come out ahead of Dallas as far as being cosmopolitan. I don't think most folks consider Houston to be a cosmopolitan city, it just does not have that cool factor, or the reputation. I think it is considered by most folks in the US to be a big, blue-collar city.
He agreed..... Don't think there was anything there to show any dilusion.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 76,433 times
Guests came to visit Dallas from back East for first time. Well, Reunion Tower was the best way to see the city and so up we went. As they were looking around they asked me what is that over there? Answer: oh that is west Dallas and the Trinity River. The Trinity what? Oh...well what is that over there? Answer: That is South Dallas. Ugh...well what is that over there? Answer: that is North Dallas. Oh. Well what is that over there? That is east Dallas. Oh. Well you ready to go back down? Answer: Most definately! Draw your own conclusions.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Less socially conservative, yet Dallas County votes more Democratic than Houston?
Dallas County is almost half the size of Harris County. To make it a fair comparion you would have to include another county adjacent to Dallas County to equal Harris County as Harris County covers way more rural land & unincorporated areas than Dallas County does. Going by percentages, its only natural Dallas County may lean slightly more Democratic.

Dallas County: 2.3 mill.

Harris County: 4.2 mill.

Dallas has never elected a Lesbian or Gay mayor & that's pretty much the peak of local policitics. Not only that Houston hasn't elected a Republican mayor since the late 70's/early 80's where Dallas has had several in that time frame.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
And you think Dallas is considered a city with a cool factor? Honestly I think most people that buy into the mainstream mentality would think Austin has the cool factor over both Houston and Dallas. However Dallas does a better job in a mainstream sense of branding itself publicly. But when they do brand itself it's so cluttered with the old Texas stereotypes that maybe most CMT viewers would enjoy. When alot of people visit Houston they might not know what to expect since it doesn't brand itself like Austin,Dallas,San Antonio but alot of people are pleasantly surprised. And for alot of people Houston has a "cool" factor. If you were to ask a large percentage of minorities in this nation which one is "cooler" I can bet you Houston would pop up more especially among African Americans. Houston had a huge success with hosting events like the Super Bowl, Final Four, NBA-All Star weekend which left a good impression on alot of people visiting from out of town. Trust me I went to both Super Bowls and All Star weekends in Dallas and Houston and the overall impression was not the same. Matter fact I even overheard some people from Atlanta call Dallas a mini less exciting Atlanta and that kind of offended me because I like Dallas and I thought it was a swipe at Texas.

And Cosmopolitan doesn't mean cool it leans more towards international/multicultural. So Houston is more cosmopolitan then Dallas. The lack of zoning allows different cultures to interact more so then DFW because in all honesty DFW is more segregated then Houston is. And Houston by far is no utopia, lack of zoning gives you that illusion but it is more interaction more then any other city in the state. I don't think Dallas is raw and barring though.

Oh and somebody said Dirk Nowitzki is the best international player of all-time. LOL, I guess he never heard of Hakeem Olajuwon. Who actually lived in Houston before he played for the Rockets and has been a stable in bringing businesses to Houston. A socialite of Houston. Not just a basketball player for the city yet doesn't really put a stamp outside of the sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas