Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Answer my question, dallasboi: Where in Dallas am I going to find trees as numerous and as tall as those examples that were inside the City of Houston?

Take your time.
He can't answer your question, because it is badly written.

Exactly how numerous were the trees in the Houston examples? How do you measure "numerous"? Define "numerous" in terms that someone can use.

How tall are the Houston trees? Can't tell from your photos.

Basically, your question is too badly phrased to be answered by anyone. Care to clarify your terms?

Since DFW has thousands of square miles of woodland, it's statistically certain that someplace somewhere can match your photos, just from the law of averages.

Actually, you have the burden of proof, since you are making the claim. You can only prove your point by comparing your trees against each clump of trees in North Texas. Too much trouble? That's your problem.

Why do you have the burden of proof? Well, who is really obligated to believe you? Nobody really has to.

Last edited by savanite; 07-02-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Answer my question, dallasboi: Where in Dallas am I going to find trees as numerous and as tall as those examples that were inside the City of Houston?

Take your time.
I'll answer that one as I spend almost as much time in Houston than I do up here.

NOT VERY MANY PLACES. I know there up here... somewhere. But in Houston, not only do I see more trees, and not only do I see taller trees, but I see different species of trees.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Dallas has a pretty good amount of tree coverage. But Houston has the advantage of being taller and thicker and a shade greener over all seeing that its closer to the ocean and more rainfall. Although Dallas isn't exactly a slouch on that, there is a notable difference.

It's just something about how the northside of Houston's tall pines just hit off the blue sky. Then you see gorgeous houses peeking through the large tree trunks surrounded by the dark green backdrop.

dallasboi says that those thick trees are only in Conroe, TW, and Huntsville? Please. It's up and down in north Houston. There's even some taller pines over in Memorial Drive areas.

For me personally, Trees do not say "city", it says "rural". Skyscrapers and large amount of businesses say city. But i'm slowly starting to see what an asset they are. They clean the air. Trust me, with Houston's overall lack of hills and dirtier air, Houston needs them more than Dallas. And they're there.

I give credit where its due. Dallas is a prettier city than Houston hands down when it comes to infrastructure, but naturally, Houston is prettier due to its lushness.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
He can't answer your question, because it is badly written.

Exactly how numerous were the trees in the Houston examples? How do you measure "numerous"? Define "numerous" in terms that someone can use.

How tall are the Houston trees? Can't tell from your photos.

Basically, your question is too badly phrased to be answered by anyone. Care to clarify your terms?

Since DFW has thousands of square miles of woodland, it's statistically certain that someplace somewhere can match your photos, just from the law of averages.

Actually, you have the burden of proof, since you are making the claim. You can only prove your point by comparing your trees against each clump of trees in North Texas. Too much trouble? That's your problem.

Why do you have the burden of proof? Well, who is really obligated to believe you? Nobody really has to.
It took you 19 minutes to come up with and edit your bag of excuses and straw mans, when all you could have said was "no, neither I or dallasboi are aware of any places in DFW where that volume of greenery can be found".

No one here is asking for hard facts, just a sensical response that comes from optical observation. If that's too much to ask, then don't worry about it. I already know the answer to my own question, but I just live for making people admit that they don't know what they're talking about.

Houston is more lush than Dallas, and that's the whole hog. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dallas has a pretty good amount of tree coverage. But Houston has the advantage of being taller and thicker and a shade greener over all seeing that its closer to the ocean and more rainfall. Although Dallas isn't exactly a slouch on that, there is a notable difference.

It's just something about how the northside of Houston's tall pines just hit off the blue sky. Then you see gorgeous houses peeking through the large tree trunks surrounded by the dark green backdrop.

dallasboi says that those thick trees are only in Conroe, TW, and Huntsville? Please. It's up and down in north Houston. There's even some taller pines over in Memorial Drive areas.

For me personally, Trees do not say "city", it says "rural". Skyscrapers and large amount of businesses say city. But i'm slowly starting to see what an asset they are. They clean the air. Trust me, with Houston's overall lack of hills and dirtier air, Houston needs them more than Dallas. And they're there.

I give credit where its due. Dallas is a prettier city than Houston hands down when it comes to infrastructure, but naturally, Houston is prettier due to its lushness.

All I was saying is that dallas has just as many trees as Houston .I do know that Houston's Trees ARE indeed taller than Dallas' on average;but the average Dallasite or Houstonian never even notice the difference or care. The Proof is in the pictures. We have neighborhoods just as lush as ones in Houston. They may look a lil different because like someone mentioned earlier the vegitation is different (hence shorter trees)but by no means are we lacking.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:

This is what I mean, Houston may not have the elevation that a city with hills, but its taller trees give the city a height dimension that cities with short stubby trees dont have. They assist in establishing the mood of a city's lighting scheme. Thats one of the reasons I prefer more vegetated cities with taller trees to DFW. There are honestly times when Ive drove through parts of the Metroplex, away from the skyscrapers, and thought "lord this is depressing looking"...particularly in the winter. Not objectively ugly...just depressing to my eyes.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
All I was saying is that dallas has just as many trees as Houston .I do know that Houston's Trees ARE indeed taller than Dallas' on average;but the average Dallasite or Houstonian never even notice the difference or care. The Proof is in the pictures. We have neighborhoods just as lush as ones in Houston. They may look a lil different because like someone mentioned earlier the vegitation is different (hence shorter trees)but by no means are we lacking.
Good point. Nobody chooses Houston over Dallas because of tree height. If they cared about that, they'd live in the California Redwood country.

A 40 foot tree has no advantage over a 30 foot tree. Unless you're from Houston and have a hangdog attitude about inferiority to Dallas. Then you need something to brag about.

Houston wouldn't be bragging about their trees if they had something better to be proud of.

Sigmund Freud would have a field day explaining Houston's size fixation... something about a repressed libido theory.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Quote:

Negative. Houston has more trees - M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S more.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Quote:

I concur with all of the above.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
All I was saying is that dallas has just as many trees as Houston .I do know that Houston's Trees ARE indeed taller than Dallas' on average;but the average Dallasite or Houstonian never even notice the difference or care.
To be clear, did you or did you not say that Houston's taller trees were only on the outskirts? Think about it before you answer.

That the average person would not notice a difference between Houston's and Dallas' trees is absurd. I promise that not everyone is as blind as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas