Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times

Advertisements

I have never seen a barren area of Houston anywhere at all in the same sense that I see sparse, brown, barren areas all over DFW...except maybe just past Sealy, if anyone considers that the Houston area.

But in Dallas you can travel through parts of the Metroplex that look completely desolate for as far as the eye can see. The areas of Houston that Ive seen without tall lush tree coverage, are still very, very green albeit with a lower treeline. I even had a coworker, who is a very ethnic immigrant from Lebanon, comment on how sterile/barren, and "so bland" (in her words) DFW is after a coworker talked about moving there. Now, people might not be chomping at the bits to move to Houston for its greenery either, but people on here (CD) arent the only ones who've noticed this difference.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,446,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I have never seen a barren area of Houston anywhere at all in the same sense that I see sparse, brown, barren areas all over DFW...except maybe just past Sealy, if anyone considers that the Houston area.

But in Dallas you can travel through parts of the Metroplex that look completely desolate for as far as the eye can see. The areas of Houston that Ive seen without tall lush tree coverage, are still very, very green albeit with a lower treeline. I even had a coworker, who is a very ethnic immigrant from Lebanon, comment on how sterile/barren, and "so bland" (in her words) DFW is after a coworker talked about moving there. Now, people might not be chomping at the bits to move to Houston for its greenery either, but people on here (CD) arent the only ones who've noticed this difference.
Well If Dallas is the definition of barren then I can find alot of spots that resemble Dallas in Houston.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
As I've mentioned before, Houston's fixation on the size of its trees is explained by Freud's work on the Libido Theory. It's quite common among a suppressed, downtrodden population that wants to compensate.

Another example is Houston's fixation on the height of its office buildings. I can't think of a better illustration of Freudian abnormal psychology.
Huh? New Yorkers boast about their amenities, so do Californians. A lot. Austinites boast all the time about what we supposedly do better. Does that mean we all have complexes too?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
In the spirit of the The Amazing Spider-man movie that just came out, I think we should mention Houston's own Scarlet Spider....

Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM

392 posts, read 633,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Huh? New Yorkers boast about their amenities, so do Californians. A lot. Austinites boast all the time about what we supposedly do better. Does that mean we all have complexes Yes, yu all have obsessions and compuksions th dramatize. ?
Yes, yo do.

If you did not, you would just accept things as the way they are.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
But in Dallas you can travel through parts of the Metroplex that look completely desolate for as far as the eye can see.
You're locked in an exaggerated world of Houston Braggadocio and delusion.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM

The reason people brag or rag on about their home towns...

They feel the inferiority, and it restimulates a desire to fight back.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Yes, yo do.

If you did not, you would just accept things as the way they are.
That makes no sense. Nor does your strange sentence with mispellings that was added to my quote.

I think this is just another case of pulling the inferiority/jealousy card that is done all too often by those who think they know it all. There's nothing wrong with someone sharing their opinion on what they like about where they live.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Another view of the Dallas skyline from the "barren" Great Trinity Forest:

Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm from Colorado bro.

That might explain why the hills in DFW don't really impress me.

stoneclaw
They impress the hell out of this Houston native. I feel like I'm going into the Rockies when i get close to Cedar Hill, and those big hills look like mountain tops from South Arlington/Mansfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas