Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times

Advertisements

Huh, they just reported the 'passing' grades for the STAAR tests, although I did not catch the whole news story, so I am not sure what grades is covers. It may be older kids, as they were talking about biology......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Sounds like complete bull$hit to me. My 4th grader learned to add fractions last year in a TX public school. I don't know how a child can be graduated (i.e. pass the TAKS test) without a working knowledge of fractions and decimals.

BTW it is STAAR testing... Not STARR.

Also, I read the article you posted and it has nothing to do with standard public education in Texas, it is about virtual public schools. I actually know a family whose child has really benefited from this program and I personally don't have a negative view of it. Which usually IS the case with anything related to ALEC.
Sorry, a typo as I know it's STAAR. I don't know how kids can graduate nowadays either when they don't know the "simples" of math, etc. As far as the TAKS goes, it's ridiculous, but I won't even get into that.

Yes, it's a stupid article for sure. Sometimes I get so carried away and don't think things through before I post, but I get so irritated with public education and stupidity, I could scream. I shouldn't let it bother me; I must learn to control such an attitude.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Huh, they just reported the 'passing' grades for the STAAR tests, although I did not catch the whole news story, so I am not sure what grades is covers. It may be older kids, as they were talking about biology......
This is the first year for the STAAR tests for the freshmen. The 2012 sophomores are the last group to take the TAKS and biology is the science course for freshmen. So, what you heard is about the freshmen.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Sorry, a typo as I know it's STAAR. I don't know how kids can graduate nowadays either when they don't know the "simples" of math, etc. As far as the TAKS goes, it's ridiculous, but I won't even get into that.

Yes, it's a stupid article for sure. Sometimes I get so carried away and don't think things through before I post, but I get so irritated with public education and stupidity, I could scream. I shouldn't let it bother me; I must learn to control such an attitude.
What I'm not understanding is how these kids aren't getting that simple math? My daughter sure has, though she struggles with higher math, as I did.

The DMN had an article a few years back that had sample questions from the TAKS. Maybe I'm stupid, or just been out of school too long, but I didn't find the math questions easy at all and they were much more advanced than what I learned in school at the same age. I went to private schools. Anyhoo, I really despise all the state testing and am thankful my kid won't be dealing with it next year.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,709 times
TEA has released initial standards for high school end of course exams. Looks like elementary will not be set until fall and then scores released to parents in January.

Texas Education Agency

Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,292 times
An article related to the discussion...

Editorial: STAAR results should create urgency | Dallas Morning News Editorials - Opinion and Commentary for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Utterly ridiculous!!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
Default staar results

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
My daughter's (4th) came back and she did better than expected. My son usually aces the TAKS, but his results are not in - we were told we'll have to wait until January for his.
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking but when you say your child did well are you willing to say what her raw results were?
My child is in fourth grade also and we are both very anxious as to how he did.

Congrats on your child doing better than expected , that's great !

Regards,

Concerned and worried Mom.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
I just received my daughter's raw scores and was disappointed (she has missed a TAKS question maybe a total of 2x), so I started looking around on the internet to get an idea of how she did and now I guess she did pretty well, considering.

7th grade: Reading - 47/50, Math - 51/54, writing - 71/72

Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What I'm not understanding is how these kids aren't getting that simple math? My daughter sure has, though she struggles with higher math, as I did.

The DMN had an article a few years back that had sample questions from the TAKS. Maybe I'm stupid, or just been out of school too long, but I didn't find the math questions easy at all and they were much more advanced than what I learned in school at the same age. I went to private schools. Anyhoo, I really despise all the state testing and am thankful my kid won't be dealing with it next year.
I found the opposite. The TAKS tests seemed about appropriate for the grade level and werent that difficult. Teachers complain about having to teach to the test, yet if their students cant pass something as trivially easy as the TAKS they have no business teaching anything else.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I found the opposite. The TAKS tests seemed about appropriate for the grade level and werent that difficult. Teachers complain about having to teach to the test, yet if their students cant pass something as trivially easy as the TAKS they have no business teaching anything else.
If you don't mind my asking, when were you in school? I was born in 1965 and attended all private schools. I swear the work my daughter was doing in elementary and middle school math was at least a year ahead (and often times more) than what I was doing at the same age. She always passed TAKS, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: