Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
etx etx started this thread

49 posts, read 105,924 times

Advertisements

Last year we drove down to scope out Texas cities for relocation. I am a native Texan living up North and freezing to death. We will be heading south in September. In Amarillo we enjoyed the zoo, the children's museum, and the parks. As far as Tyler area goes I love all the trees and lakes and everything East Texas offers the eye. I see people posting about winter in Amarillo being cold, and I wonder if its anything near the winters up North and how long it lasts? Is it sunny even in the winters?

Obviously its different to visit a place than it is to live there so if I could get a little more insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am self employed as a daycare provider - if one of these areas is saturated I would appreciate hearing that. If one of these areas is going to just absolutely reject a single parent family, I'd appreciate hearing that as well.
We are Baptists and I like that both areas have a substantial Christian population. I would like to remarry in the future so when I see people posting that there is nothing for singles in these areas I get nervous - are they mostly referring to bars and clubs or am I doomed to hoarding cats? I don't want to end up somewhere that it takes 10 years for newcomers to make friends or people are very materialistic. Please be brutally honest with me

I intend to rent first to be sure we like the area, but a priority for me is purchasing a modest home and putting down roots in the area we choose. Amarillo seems to have many seller-financed homes on craigslist, is this common to the area or some sort of scam? Are seller-financed homes likely to be in an unsafe part of town? I do have good credit but it can be difficult to get bank financing when self-employed.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by etx; 06-11-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etx View Post
Last year we drove down to scope out Texas cities for relocation. I am a native Texan living up North and freezing to death. We will be heading south in September. In Amarillo we enjoyed the zoo, the children's museum, and the parks. As far as Tyler area goes I love all the trees and lakes and everything East Texas offers the eye. I see people posting about winter in Amarillo being cold, and I wonder if its anything near the winters up North and how long it lasts? Is it sunny even in the winters?
Well, there was a VERY cold time in November, but then it warmed up in December a bit to where I wore shorts several times. Same in January, although it was cold enough for a jacket most days. Last year was strange, as it was much colder in Nov than the rest of winter. There usually are several solid snow storms during each winter, but the snow almost always melts off in a few days, especially the streets. Never spent any time up north so don't know about winters up there, but can't imagine Amarillo being worse than northern winters. As far as sunny, yes it is sunny a lot, even in winter.

Quote:
Obviously its different to visit a place than it is to live there so if I could get a little more insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am self employed as a daycare provider - if one of these areas is saturated I would appreciate hearing that. If one of these areas is going to just absolutely reject a single parent family, I'd appreciate hearing that as well.
Can't say I know anything about daycares, my children are long out of daycare age. I do know there are quite a few around though, but I am sure there is room for more. As for a single parent family, I don't know of anyone that cares. My daughter is a single parent, and no one gives her any flack, although she lives in Lubbock, not Amarillo. I just don't see anybody hassling anyone about it, nor do any of my friends talk about it. Many of them have adult single parent children too.

Quote:
We are Baptists and I like that both areas have a substantial Christian population. I would like to remarry in the future so when I see people posting that there is nothing for singles in these areas I get nervous - are they mostly referring to bars and clubs or am I doomed to hoarding cats? I don't want to end up somewhere that it takes 10 years for newcomers to make friends or people are very materialistic. Please be brutally honest with me
Don't know much about the single scene, except for several co-workers who have re-married recently, one in his 60's even. The bar scene is not something I know anything at all about, but do know some of the bigger churches around have singles scenes. Someone that is looking for hundreds of choices of single potential mates will be disappointed, but there seems to be a lot of singles around.

Quote:
I intend to rent first to be sure we like the area, but a priority for me is purchasing a modest home and putting down roots in the area we choose. Amarillo seems to have many seller-financed homes on craigslist, is this common to the area or some sort of scam? Are seller-financed homes likely to be in an unsafe part of town? I do have good credit but it can be difficult to get bank financing when self-employed.
Well, I have not looked at any FSBO or carry the note homes in Amarillo, so can't honestly answer you. Renting would be a great idea though, so you can get the lay of the land, and maybe learn some neighborhoods you would like to look at.

Frankly, Tyler will have *MUCH* warmer winters and less snow. It will have muggier summers as well, but that is the extent of my knowledge of Tyler and even that might be wrong.

I like Amarillo though, so am kind of biased. Whichever you decide, welcome to Texas!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Tyler is the place. lol No, seriously Tyler is milder in climate. Not so far removed from other parts of Texas DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio or the Hill country for trips. Tyler has a very nice Zoo, Caldwell, many people from DFW come to Tyler for the zoo, some have written letters to the editor about how they enjoyed the zoo, and to please don't advertise it, because it was not too crowded. Now, it is not a "big city zoo" a 1 1/2 to 3 hour visit would cover it. Very clean with few animals like, lions, tigers and other in cages, they are in a natural type habitat. There is a "hands on" Discovery sorta, childrens musem downtown, easy to park. Several small splash parks, and amusement park, small, on 155 South just outside loop.

You should not have a problem with a day care occupation, but just check it out.

Now, Green Acres Baptist in Tyler is large with a very active singles groups, all ages to 70 plus. Lots to do with them, this is the sort of groups you would find in DFW, Houston. Church draws about 5,000 each Sunday. Hang on, with break it down in small groups you CAN get to know people if you like, or just get lost, if you like. Great large choir with orchestra or if you like, the more contempory service that runs at the same hour, with video with preacher. The so called traditional service varies from week to week and is really upbeat, where in, it is called The Celebration Choir, they really enjoy singing, not just occuping a seat because someone needs to be "in the choir". Come and vist Tyler

Oh, all kinds of activities for kids, teenagers at church. Go over to Tyler for other posts I have on Tyler or email me direct if you have other questions I might help with, if I can.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
lived in cleveland, OH for 2.5 years and never want to go back there, especially after having moved to austin and now tyler. austin of course is warmer than tyler, but then again, tyler is considerably warmer than all of ohio hehehe. never lived in amarillo, but i hear of more winter storms and colder temps there than in tyler. between the two, i'd rather live in tyler.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
No doubt Tyler would be warmer, all around. The humidity is something I can't stand, however, so that whole region would not be as enjoyable for me. I can deal with winter cold, and summer dry heat a lot better than any amount of humidity. I freely admit to being a humidity weenie.

All that said, I have heard from many people over the years, that Tyler is a nice place to live, and I have no reason to doubt it at all.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
I would rather live in Tyler to be honest.Amarillo is too cold and isolated for me.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I love Tyler. It has a lot going for it (the zoo, good shopping, good restaurants, decent schools, and a wide variety of places of worship for all sorts of religions, diversity, etc.) and it's close enough to D/FW, Austin, Houston, and Shreveport if you want more.

Winters are fantastic here - short and mild. Summers are long and hot but we have lots of trees. The people are VERY friendly and easy to get to know. And I like the way that our local politicians and community leaders cooperate together. We also have a good job market and reasonable housing costs.

Come on down! We'd love to have you!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Tyler. Just for the simple fact I was born and raised in East Texas(Marshall /Longview) to be exact and the Piney Woods area has alot more to offer then that area of Amarillo. Tyler right in between DFW and Shreveport. Plus you have Longview which has a similar size. Lots of outdoor activities in ETX. Full of natural beauty.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 AM

28 posts, read 68,060 times
I'm also looking to relocate to Amarillo. I looked at the city-data page for Tyler and the property prices, income, median rent and unemployment rate are all higher in Tyler. So it still appears Amarillo will be my home in about 2 months.

I'm much older than the average age there, turning 63 in March, plus I'm married. So the single scene is a moot point with me. My wife - a 51 year old Filipina elementary school teacher for 16 years, will be joining me when we finish the visa process. Our daughter, graduating college in April with a degree (Dean's List) in Broadcast Journalism, will also be coming with her mother - probably in about a year. They will also be looking for work when they arrive. Both are open to whatever line of work is available, but of course would prefer to remain in their respective fields. Any thoughts in that realm are welcome.

I'll be needing a place to live when I arrive and it needs to be inexpensive. I'm on a fixed income of less than $1300 per month. I will be searching for part-time work in order to bring my income up to the point where I need to be in order to qualify to sponsor my wife and daughter for their visas. I'll need to earn between $700 and $900 per month. What are my chances of finding a decent but affordable place to live and a part-time job? I'm a very friendly, conservative Christian and have always worked well with people. I've been in Customer Service, Sales, Retail Sales/Management, and numerous other positions - including Delivery Driver - but nearly always worked with people at some level.

I love the outdoors so the winters are no problem, nor are the summers. I need input as to the ability to find work and a place to rent for myself in May and for my wife & daughter when they arrive next year. I also am curious as to how ya'll feel the community will treat a couple of really sweet, respectful ladies from the Philippines. Any problems with Asian folks there? They're both quiet, shy, conservative Christians. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I would rather live in Tyler to be honest.Amarillo is too cold and isolated for me.

Totally agree here. Amarillo is too far north, too flat and ugly, and way too isolated for me, too. And it gets really, really cold in the winter. No thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas