Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio, I think is the city in
Texas to watch,it is going to explode
Maybe but not likely San antonio and Austin will be fighting for third place in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Maybe but not likely San antonio and Austin will be fighting for third place in Texas.
I dont think Austin will pass up Dallas for third. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
San Antonio is already 2nd in Texas unless we are speaking in terms of Metro population

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I dont think Austin will pass up Dallas for third. At least not in the foreseeable future.
And its clear that you are speaking of City population,and I couldn't agree more with your statement.Austins infrastructure won't allow them to.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times
When you say "city", a better term would be "city government", as in San Antonio is the second largest municipal government in Texas.

When you use the most appropriate terms, you understand the issue better.

You could make a case that these governments should be smaller, not larger, since a large municipal government tends to deliver a slower and inferior level of service.

How? Why? Because it becomes more of a monopoly.

For example, Dallas. The smaller DFW governments, such as Highland Park, Southlake, Plano, Irving, Carrollton, Frisco, all are forced through competitive pressure to deliver better services, better schools, whereas the Dallas government is too ossified to respond quickly to changing trends and conditions. The Dallas government is so bureaucratic that they forced the Megabus company out of downtown Dallas over zoning restrictions. You take an express bus from Houston or Austin and you end up in an industrial zone in Grand Prairie. They were much slower in allowing gourmet food trucks to operate. It has taken them years to reroute just a few downtown streets from one way to two way.

If the Dallas government were to be split into 5 or 10 governments, they would operate much better. On the other hand, if the Dallas government annexed outward to the degree Houston has, it would be even worse in terms of public service.

So the idea that a municipal government needs to get larger, or that getting larger is a good thing... That's bogus.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
When you say "city", a better term would be "city government", as in San Antonio is the second largest municipal government in Texas.

When you use the most appropriate terms, you understand the issue better.

You could make a case that these governments should be smaller, not larger, since a large municipal government tends to deliver a slower and inferior level of service.

How? Why? Because it becomes more of a monopoly.

For example, Dallas. The smaller DFW governments, such as Highland Park, Southlake, Plano, Irving, Carrollton, Frisco, all are forced through competitive pressure to deliver better services, better schools, whereas the Dallas government is too ossified to respond quickly to changing trends and conditions. The Dallas government is so bureaucratic that they forced the Megabus company out of downtown Dallas over zoning restrictions. You take an express bus from Houston or Austin and you end up in an industrial zone in Grand Prairie. They were much slower in allowing gourmet food trucks to operate. It has taken them years to reroute just a few downtown streets from one way to two way.

If the Dallas government were to be split into 5 or 10 governments, they would operate much better. On the other hand, if the Dallas government annexed outward to the degree Houston has, it would be even worse in terms of public service.

So the idea that a municipal government needs to get larger, or that getting larger is a good thing... That's bogus.
This is random...

What are you talking about?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
This is random...

What are you talking about?
Really random.

BTW, in Houston Megabus stops right in the middle of downtown

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Really random.

BTW, in Houston Megabus stops right in the middle of downtown
The abnormal size of Houston government is the reason that the light rail there has such a limited size and got such a late start.

Another problem is that Houston people have the attention on the size of their government. Their attention should be on the size of their metro which is, very remarkably, in the top 5.

There was some comment in the Houston forum about the comparison between the Houston and Chicago governments. The posters thought that if Houston's exceeded Chicago's, the country would be impressed by that fact, and Chicago would die of shame, I guess. Well, I don't think so.

Whatever Houston has, or is worth, is dependent on the population of its metropolitan area, and the economic force it generates. The Houston government adds little, if anything, to the mix. If the Houston government were 500,000 or if it were the 6 million people in the metro, nothing would change, except the quality of government.

As long as Chicago's metro area is close to ten million people, it doesn't matter how the two governments compare.

Look at London, England. The "City of London" has a population of a few thousand people. Greater London is comprised of dozens of boroughs, actually independent governments, of a few hundred thousand each. And yet, Greater London is one of the capitals of the world.

Somehow, Houston likes to brag about things that are meaningless, and ignores things that are significant.

Last edited by savanite; 07-12-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
I was speaking in terms of metro population. I just confused the whole thread since it is dealing with city population. City population wise I don't see Austin passing Dallas ever.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I was speaking in terms of metro population. I just confused the whole thread since it is dealing with city population. City population wise I don't see Austin passing Dallas ever.
If Austin finds a way to annex the populations outside its current boundaries, it could be as large as it wanted to be.

Does that actually mean anything?

These claims take advantage of the public confusion over the word "city" and is pure and simple deception.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
San Antonio is the city to watch to many hidden advantages out slowly coming out to the business community outside of Texas. The population of the city is definitely understated, I would guess around 1.7 in CL and 2.5 overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas