Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 51,739 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am new to Dalhart, TX and am wondering if the city offers shelter when we go into Tornado warning? If we dont have a shelter where can we go? Let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,285,831 times
Some public places like malls will have some kind of tornado shelter. Most places don't, though. My hubby's ex-wife was caught in a Walmart this past spring during a tornado warning and they herded all the customers into their vault or something. Keep the radio or tv on for coverage. Sometimes you can hear the tornado sirens go off depending on where you live. Most people don't have basements in Texas due to the soil but go into a middle room of the house like a closet or bathroom and put a mattress or a bunch of covers over you. Stay away from windows. Get to the first floor if you're higher.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,906 times
I was born & raised in Dalhart. Lived there the first 30 years of my life. What in the world is it with all the tornado talk???? I can honestly only remember twice the sirens went off in my entire life. Usually, if there is a tornado, it is very small & out in an open field or pasture, but even that is seldom. But....just in case....some of the churces have basements & will let you use them.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,231 times
When I lived in Pampa, I always had neighbors with storm shelters. Find one. Talk to them. Use their shelter with their permission. Give them some food or flowers two or three times a year. All of that is less expensive than building your own, and people usually will share their space with their neighbors. I spent a lot of my spring time when I was a kid in shelters. My mom was terrified of tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas