U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 AM

485 posts, read 1,097,646 times
Default Living in the Panhandle

I had some relatives move to the Panhandle for about a year and a half. They moved back saying that it was too expensive and they had to drive too far to get things they needed. They also said that their son got a year or so behind due to the poor education he was receiving in the school they were in. I can't remember the exact town they resided in, but I know it was somewhere near Pampa. For some reason, I don't buy this. I've always held an interest in moving to the Panhandle. I think my relatives just got off on the wrong foot. Does everyone living in the Panhandle find this to be true? Also, are there any schools known to be great, as far as academic expectations go? I appreciate any information you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,347 times
Default Panhandle, Pampa, Dateline

They also said that their son got a year or so behind due to the poor education he was receiving in the school they were in. I can't remember the exact town they resided in, but I know it was somewhere near Pampa.

There are a lot of small towns around Pampa, several with populations under 750. I know all of Pampas school were rated very high last year.
Dateline NBC did an hour long Program of our football program and our high School. MSNBC - Pride of Pampa Front Page

I have three boys my youngest is a Senior this year. Pampa has its problems just like any other town, but I cannot think of any other school system to raise kids in.
It looks like I will be transferring to N.C or K.Y in the next year or two I will miss the panhandle.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Thank you for responding. I know they weren't in the Pampa school district, just somewhere near. I was pleased to see how happy you are with the Panhandle. Tell me, how cold does the average winter get? Where I am in Northeast Texas, it seldom gets below freezing and when it does, its warmed up to the upper 50's or 60's by noon. I'm looking for an area that has a real winter.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,810,004 times
All I can tell you is from what I've noticed while watching the weather reports in the news! I've never lived in the Panhandle but whenever they're talking weather, in the winter they seem to have much more of a winter than the rest of Texas, more snow, cold temps for longer periods of time, etc. I'm actually envious of the amount of snow they get compared to where I am in DFW! I think, too, that they don't get quite as hot and humid, although it does get hot there, of course. Anyway, I'm sure someone who has actually lived there can tell you!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,144,106 times
We lived in the Panhandle for 5 years, just left 2 years ago. Most of the towns there are struggling financially, drying up, very low tax base to support their schools and city. \
\
We hunted for 2 years before moving up there and decided on the town of Panhandle....about 2000 people. It's income base is much higher than most other towns in the area because it's very near Pantex (the government bomb facility) which employs about 3000 well-paid government workers. It has a good school, some very nice new homes (we bought and remodeled a l950 mansion and loved it). There is no crime (we never locked our house, never took the keys out of the cars in the driveway). '

There are 2-3 good places to eat, one nice little grocery store and some large, well-funded churches. Large Catholic population, many of the 3rd generation people are of Polish/German descent, so it is a very 'clean' town. (Don't judge it by driving thru on the highway.....you need to get off the highway and go downtown and then drive through the west side of town when the newer homes are and the north part of town where the schools are). ]\\

It's about 20 miles out of Amarillo but then it's another 20 minutes to the other side of Amarillo where most of the shopping/eating/medical sites are.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:54 PM

2,640 posts, read 20,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Thank you for responding. I know they weren't in the Pampa school district, just somewhere near. I was pleased to see how happy you are with the Panhandle. Tell me, how cold does the average winter get? Where I am in Northeast Texas, it seldom gets below freezing and when it does, its warmed up to the upper 50's or 60's by noon. I'm looking for an area that has a real winter.
robinhood,

Have you ever considered another state? I'm still looking to relocate and as I search, I just get more confused. I know I wouldn't want to live in the Panhandle in spite of more of a chance of "seasons." It may be drier too, but it's still hotter than blazes from what I'm told. I don't think it's pretty either, and I'm really into pretty. That's just me though.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Gayle - Thank you for your information. Panhandle sounds like a great place. If you don't mind my asking, why did you move 2 years ago?

KewGee- I would love to move to a state further north, but I can't convince my husband to leave Texas without proving to him that we can afford it. As far as we've seen, Texas is one of the cheapest states to live in. I would love to find out that there is a state with a cooler climate that would have virtually the same cost of living. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 AM

2,640 posts, read 20,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Gayle - Thank you for your information. Panhandle sounds like a great place. If you don't mind my asking, why did you move 2 years ago?

KewGee- I would love to move to a state further north, but I can't convince my husband to leave Texas without proving to him that we can afford it. As far as we've seen, Texas is one of the cheapest states to live in. I would love to find out that there is a state with a cooler climate that would have virtually the same cost of living. If anyone knows of one, let me know.
I think if you do some deep research, you'll find out that Texas isn't all that cheap. I have compared Central Texas to Southwestern VA and overall, many part of SW VA are less than Texas. Of course, there is a state tax there, but the property taxes and homeowners insurance is pretty much "out of sight" in Texas.

That's just one small area in which I'm interested and I know there must be others. People on the Texas forum are often blaming Californians for raising housing prices here, so that tells me housing is on the rise here. My goodness, I've priced some actual dumps in the area that I would give $20,000 for and they're going for a ton on money. Land here is also sky-high for nothing.

I don't proclaim to be all that savvy on all this cost of living jazz, but I really do believe one can find somewhere much cheaper and much cooler and pleasant to live. Another thing that holds me back in moving NOW is that I'm single, and I'm a bit of a chicken in making such a drastic move at my age. If I were married and my husband wanted to move, I wouldn't hesitate.

Good luck convincing your hubby that there is much life beyond Texas and for a better price, beauty, and weather.

I'm not giving up just yet.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,144,106 times
robinhood.....we had to close our Amarillo business because of health reason and moved back 'home' (NETExas) where our children are.

as for weather....the winters are indeed cold, lots of wind. (in the town of Panhandle, you need to live nearer the so. end of town not the north....it's an open field to the north and the snow stacks up high on that end of town). The first year we lived there we had a 24 in. snow on Christmas Day....but that's very unusual. They keep the roads and streets clear in that part of the world ....they have the equipment unlike here in our part of Texas. We loved the summers there....much cooler than here and the nights are downright chilly (higher elevation).Lots of people out walking in the evenings instead of having to sit in front of the A/C. No fireants at all!! Although there are no trees out on the prairie, the towns themselves have lots of big trees, shrubs, flowers - my DH had a wonderful vegetable garden....the soil is very good up there and will grow anything.....if you are liberal with the watering and don't mind paying a water bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas