Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,625 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old male African American male, with my class A CDL, that being said I am originally from Cincinnati, OH currently living in Memphis, Tn an looking to move to Texas, right now I am primarily looking at Austin or Houston both I've seen had there advantages and disadvantages, but most of the post I've seen when directly comparing the two have been several years old, or completely now relatable to me I'd like to know about the possible trucking jobs(in city or on the road) in both cities an housing which since it's only me could simply be apartments..thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,726,362 times
I am another black male from Austin. Houston is the 2nd biggest magnet for African-Americans in the South (behind Atlanta). As much as I love this town, Austin is losing African-Americans down from a high of 25%+ in the 1960s to 7% today - and still shrinking. Austin's historic cultural antagonism towards blacks including recent events involving the Texas Relays hasn't helped. Many Austin African-Americans have felt the pull of the big city and black culture to Houston, while others have been attracted to better dwellings and schools in Pflugerville and East Round Rock suburbs (north Austin metro) in particular.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,011,707 times
^You're forgetting Baton Rouge, Dallas, and others. Houston is nothing close to Atlanta, though I know some have tried to market it that way. I saw a national map that showed Houston (city) has actually been losing Blacks too (in percent for sure, don't recall if in raw numbers, but still....)

Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,785,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsullivan09 View Post
I'm a 23 year old male African American male, with my class A CDL, that being said I am originally from Cincinnati, OH currently living in Memphis, Tn
Coming from those size of cities, Austin will probably feel more comfortable to you. Houston is HUGE.
Yes, Houston has more AA culture than Austin, but still nothing close to Atlanta, DC, Chicago, NOLA, etc. In Houston, the Hispanic and Asian populations are growing much faster percentage-wise (actually yes, I think the other person may be correct that the AA population percentage is shrinking.) The few times recently that large national AA conferences/events (Essence, NAACP) were in Houston, they have been, well, sort of flops.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM

875 posts, read 1,653,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^You're forgetting Baton Rouge, Dallas, and others. Houston is nothing close to Atlanta, though I know some have tried to market it that way. I saw a national map that showed Houston (city) has actually been losing Blacks too (in percent for sure, don't recall if in raw numbers, but still....)
I want to see this so called map???

Houston is more of manufacturing/industrial city so it probably wont be hard for you to find a stable career. Both cities are great places but me personally I think Houston would be a better move. I advise to visit both cities to get a better feel of which one is more suitable. I have friends who went to Huston Tillotson (HBCU) and they have all left Austin to move Houston. Austin is a great city but to me the city is more of a weekend getaway than a place to live..Good Luck.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 07-12-2012 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,785,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I want to see this so called map???
I was looking around for that too, because I thought I had seen a news report about it recently. But, all I could find was this:
http://www.newgeography.com/files/bl...ange-inpct.png

So, while not a loss, it appears from that map that the Houston area's percent of Black growth has been lagging behind Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Phoenix, Las Vegas, most of Florida, lots of places in the Northeast US, even Seattle. It's about on par with San Antonio's rate.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,599,337 times
My husband drives a truck. Usually freight business is pretty good here. Today on the load boards Dallas is looking extremely busy. He does lots of runs that way, so I'd look between Austin and Dallas. He does fewer runs to Houston. He does quite a few runs to west and south Texas too. I guess you can't go wrong wherever you look.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM

657 posts, read 2,536,121 times
Houston is 23% black. San Antonio is 6%.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,625 times
Though being around people of my own race would give me a sense of familiarity even without knowing them, coming from Cincinnati with more caucasians then anything an Memphis where there is a high majority of blacks I want a city with a little more diversity

Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,151,146 times
while it's true Austin black population is declining it's makes up for it in it's metropolitan area like Pflugerville, Round Rock, Temple, & Killeen. Houston on the other hand is steadly increasing it's black population, Houston metropolitan itself has over 1 million black people alone some are from regions like Africa, and Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas