Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Louisiana and have small children. How are the schools in canton? I also noticed that crime has gone down since 2004, why is that? Is it a safe place to raise a family and how welcoming are the people to new comers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
It's a very small town except for the First Monday weekend. Not much there besides the Dairy Palace and a Brookshires grocery...

Personally, I think you would have more opportunities for yourself and your kids in a bigger town. Look at Tyler or Longview.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
There's Walmart! It's a super Walmart at that.

Seriously, there are plenty of business places in and around Canton, ranging from banks, grocery stores, insurance agencies, churches, doctors, dentists, cafes, fast food, etc. All you need you can get and there's even a funeral home to bury you when you die. What more can you ask for?

I think I remember seeing a water park going in somewhere close on I20. Hopefully someone from the area can confirm this. It's been several years since I've been to Canton.

I don't know the schools ratings, but that would be easy enough to google.

I love the area around Canton. I lived in Edgewood and Wills Point when I was a kid and we had kinfolks all around the area, Canton included and we were always visiting. I think it's a great area, beautiful countryside.

Lake Fork (Emory) is a great fishing lake and real close to Canton.

Of course, the Trade Days have grown from when I was a kid and Daddy would take us over to look around. LOL Pretty much consisted of some farmers bringing some hogs, maybe a milk cow, maybe a mule or two, some shovels/rakes, old farm tractor attachments, etc. to sell or trade. The ladies sometimes had homemade canned goods and baked goods along with some handmade aprons/bonnets they'd sell. It was fun to go to though. Now it has gotten so big, I think the locals for the most part are sure to have everything they need in from the grocery store, etc. so they can avoid the area during that first Monday week-end.

There's always that big old town of Dallas if you feel the need to get stifled by hordes of people. Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

Here's a link listing businesses in Canton. I know there are shops in the Trade Days area that are open everyday, but there are probably some listed here that are only open during First Monday. Regardless, you'll see stores such as CVS, Walmart, Brookshires, etc. along with all the other places and it should give you an idea on this aspect.

Canton TX, Texas | Local Alphabetical Business Directory in Canton, TX

I would check the schools out, but I bet you'd have no problems there. I am familiar with the Edgewood ISD and unless something has changed there, they have excellent ratings and I bet Canton is pretty much in the same rating groups, but I just don't know. Hopefully, someone from the area will come in and be able to help out on the school situation.

I would think with you coming in from LA you would have no trouble at all being received in Canton. A lot of folks have moved out of Dallas to Canton and although some have retired to there, others still commute to Dallas.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,066 times
Lots and Lots of people commute to Dallas from Canton. We moved here two years ago instead of a suburb of Dallas. the school are rated excellent and its a mellow small town, great for kids. The band at the high school is award winning too. Hubby goes to the city occasionally and works from home some too. Trade Days is enough action for the month! It's like having the state fair come to your town once a month. Lots of good food and shopping galore. We drive up to Terrell or Forney on the weekends if we want big box shopping, that's a 20 minute or so drive up hwy20. There is zero traffic and almost no crime...nothing like the bigger cities. My kids walk all over town on foot and nobody bothers them. There is a good coffee/smoothie shop in the city square too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas