U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: In your opinion, is it okay to have no speed limits or have them severely increased if German drivin
You crazy? I can barely handle 55! 3 6.82%
Speed limits need to stay and are fine the way they are. 8 18.18%
I think speed limits are too low, but I wouldn't go as far as throwing them away. 25 56.82%
Follow the Germans! 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM

16,502 posts, read 22,990,975 times

Advertisements

The problem with that argument is that the only way it can consistently and effectively function as a money maker is if people actually violate the law. Something that seems to be overlooked a lot when people complain about the cops only handing out tickets to increase revenue.

If they weren't violating the traffic laws, they wouldn't get a ticket. Denying this very obvious fact, or ignoring it, makes me a little bit crazy, because of that whole "I'm not responsible for the consequences of my deliberately chosen actions and if there are consequences to me it must be somebody else's fault" thing so many are enamored of these days.

As for the "special lane", as long as not one penny of my tax money goes to pay for it and it supports itself, fine. Otherwise, no - I'd much rather those tax monies go to improve the roads for people who are not addicted to speed and for bicyclists and pedestrians.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Status: "Stay in Florida, scrape ice off truck. Voila." (set 15 days ago)

2,076 posts, read 2,470,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguysa View Post
Too many people don't take good enough care of their cars to be going any faster than what it's at now.

Seriously, do you think everyone out there checks their tire pressure every month at a minimum? Inspects and greases their front end components regularly?

What do you drive? Vehicles have front ends with zerk fittings anymore? I know my F150 has no zerks from the factory.

Yawn.

Most vehicles are speed limited and aren't touching 100. My truck is limited (supposedly) to 98-103 mph, but the tires are good for 112. If a Vette or a Z28 is up for it, who am I to argue?

As for the fuel consumption issue, I did a round-tripper to Tallahassee and back and got 19.3 MPGs in my F150, with lots of 80+ and 90+ mph driving on my part. Oddly enough, that's pretty much on par with my non-Florida panhandle MPG numbers...and I want to be sure those beautiful trees in that part of the country have plenty of CO2 to live on. For the split second I am in their vicinity, that is.

I'll go choice 3. There are changes that could be made, but I couldn't trust the average loser with a $900 Oldsmobuick loaded with $5000 of thumping stereo gear and $5000 spinners that congregates with his other loser friends right in the middle of the street like it's a parking lot to get that stuff right just yet.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 AM

My 1997 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel gets 22 mph loaded/empty, towing a trailer with a full size tractor on it or just me in it, city or highway, 30 mph or 90 mph.

As for the "special lane", a problem just occurred to me. There are going to be people in that lane who insist that 110 mph isn't fast enough and the person who is ONLY going 110 mph should get out of "their" lane. (Actually, pretty much anyone who would be interested in that lane being built just for them is going to be that kind of person, so this would happen pretty quickly.)

I still think those people should get their speed fix on the speedways rather than us paying for their drug of choice.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

113 posts, read 25,581 times
What's funny is when I was 8 or 9 years old, there was this page in a book that had questions about driving like, "Would you stop at a stop sign?" etc. and you had to answer yes or no.

One of the questions asked, "You respect the speed limit," and I answered No!!!

It was funny! I answered this when I was 8 or 9. I've always hated speed limits...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM

So, go get on the track! Simple solution; I know several people who took that solution (or, in the extreme, on the Bonneville Salt Flats), got their fix, and yet drove quite sedately and safely (more sedately and safely than 90% of the population) on the public roadways. They didn't make everyone else pay for their drug of choice, in other words. (Or, at least, not except for the case of tickets to the races!)

Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 AM

43 posts, read 51,633 times
Well the weekend car I drive is a well maintained 02 Trans Am that has P&P cylinder heads, 228R cam and full exhaust. The car in factory conditions could go above 150 mph. If there could be some sort of way to pay for these special lanes with just the special licensing and ticketing of vehicles that utilize this land without permits, I would be for it. It seems like a lot of people are against the idea of the special lane still but I believe that a lot of you are ignoring that people still disobey speed limits all the time regardless.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 AM

We're not ignoring that fact, in fact, the dangers of it are pointed out throughout.

I'm not against the idea of the special lane, as long as those who use it are the sole ones paying for it. I do, however, see a couple of problems with execution of the idea; pointing those out isn't necessarily being against it. The main one is that there are still going to be people in that special lane wanting people who aren't going as fast as they want to go (125 instead of 150, say) to get out of their way and stop using their road. Another is, when the inevitable crash occurs (don't think for one moment that it won't), all those speed demons are going to be stuck in traffic in their lane, anyway.

That's why I still think that going to the places already set up for speed demons, where none of these issues will occur, and getting your fix, and driving at a sedate speed of 80-85 mph where appropriate on the public roadways (and slower when that's appropriate) is the real solution.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM

113 posts, read 25,581 times
Alright, you guys are rights, it does become hard to control the car after 100 mph.

I still think Speed Limit 85 is a somewhat too low. If the car becomes hard to control after 100 mph (which it does), it should be Speed Limit 100 Minimum 75 Night-Time Speed Limit 90.

So this is as far as I'm going to accept speed limits. It's acceptable for me if the Speed Limit is 100 in Texas I-10.

As far as people pushing it to 110 or even 120 mph when they see, "Speed Limit 100", this time I wouldn't mind if it is strictly enforced because 90-100 is okay at least for me. So if they will put Speed Limit 100 (which they probably won't, they always underestimate the ability to drive safely), they should enforce it strictly. I mean 105 mph, you can let it go sometimes but not any higher than that. That's what strictly enforced is in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_U123456789 View Post
Alright, you guys are rights, it does become hard to control the car after 100 mph.

I still think Speed Limit 85 is a somewhat too low. If the car becomes hard to control after 100 mph (which it does), it should be Speed Limit 100 Minimum 75 Night-Time Speed Limit 90.

So this is as far as I'm going to accept speed limits.
It's acceptable for me if the Speed Limit is 100 in Texas I-10.

As far as people pushing it to 110 or even 120 mph when they see, "Speed Limit 100", this time I wouldn't mind if it is strictly enforced because 90-100 is okay at least for me. So if they will put Speed Limit 100 (which they probably won't, they always underestimate the ability to drive safely), they should enforce it strictly. I mean 105 mph, you can let it go sometimes but not any higher than that. That's what strictly enforced is in my opinion.
You mean that the speed limits that exist aren't acceptable to you and thus you're going to ignore them? Or that's what you, personally, think is reasonable (the autobahn, by the way, disagrees with you, they think 81 is what people should generally be driving, it's their recommended speed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas