Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Pop, but I suppose some do call it soda. Just as long as it's not Coke because that's just idiotic (unless you're referring specifically to the brand and not all types of pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Such an unique way of calling all Texans idiots.
Quote:
I don't see where you got that from.
I could be misunderstanding you, but the way I read it, you are saying it is just idiotic to call all types of pop (your expression, not mine) Coke, unless it is specifically the Coke brand. Every Texan (old time Texans that is - 1st & 2nd generation, etc. can very well parrot what their folks call it) I know calls the carbonated soft drinks Cokes, then specify the brand.

Of course it's not correct, but who the heck feels the need to be correct all the time. It is just what we say and I'm quite certain it will eventually be phased out along with many other wonderful Texan things we say and do. I think it will be a shame, myself. So in the meantime, I will continue to say Coke to refer to all brands even though it is not correct and I do know better and it is just idiotic to do so in your opinion.

So to answer your question, this is where that came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
First time I ever heard it referred to as 'pop' was when this gal from PA asked me if wanted a pop. LOL I thought WTH? Is she saying she's about to smack me? Here I am, thinking we were having a polite conversation and now she's ready to pop me one for some reason. I still laugh thinking about that.

I had a boss one time who called every thing sodie pops or sodie waters. OMG I never will forget how he told about the time when he told his sister-in-law (she had asked him if he wanted something to drink) that he'd have a sodie water and she brought him a glass of water with some baking soda stirred in. Too funny! I told him he deserved it.
Too funny! I'm loving this thread! My ex's grandmother (midwest) called it sodie-pop. Used to crack me up everytime she said it. I came home from college Freshman year (also midwest) and asked my mother if we had any "sodas" in the house. She laughed at me.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Shiner Bock is better.
Love me some Shiner Bock, but it's too heavy for me in the summer, so I switch to Shiner Blonde. Never cared for Lonestar. Don't hate!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
So to answer your question, this is where that came from.
When I go to Louisiana I don't ask them why they talk the way they do. Or Boston or NY.

As a Texan, the things we natives say is just because we do which I tried to imply in OP. No need to justify, no need to say I talk wrong.

Coke is one of those things. A non-native may not understand.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Another thing, not sure if someone mentioned our use of Sir and Ma'am. I've heard women from elsewhere complain about being called ma'am, they say it makes them feel old. These are just terms of respect, nothing more nothing less. As for sweetie and honey, the only time I was taken aback was when a 20-something young male cashier at CVS replied, "You're welcome, hon." to my thank you, since it seems to be a generational thing (at least here in Dallas). It just threw me for a minute, but I appreciated it.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Another thing, not sure if someone mentioned our use of Sir and Ma'am. I've heard women from elsewhere complain about being called ma'am, they say it makes them feel old. These are just terms of respect, nothing more nothing less. As for sweetie and honey, the only time I was taken aback was when a 20-something young male cashier at CVS replied, "You're welcome, hon." to my thank you, since it seems to be a generational thing (at least here in Dallas). It just threw me for a minute, but I appreciated it.
Yes, I mentioned the Sir and M'am deal. I love it.

Them that don't - whale, Ah bet they kin git over it.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I mentioned the Sir and M'am deal. I love it.

Them that don't - whale, Ah bet they kin git over it.
I loved that my daughter's teachers starting in K expected to be called Sir and Ma'am, as in "Yes, Ma'am." This was in Dallas proper. I wonder if it happens up in the Collin County suburbs?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
And there's always...

'Down the road a piece', and 'Over yonder'

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 PM

563 posts, read 910,191 times
I'm a fifth generation Texan myself and anyone I can recall that I grew up with used coke to represent all brands of soft drinks. The only one who didn't was my grandpa who was in the military and moved all over and referred to it as sodie pop. What he was usually referring to was his favorite drink in the world and a Texas treasure - Big Red.

I don't know how Texan this is but I always heard "tump" growing up. "Stop playing with that vase before you tump it over."

Last edited by MobileDave; 07-22-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
As a Texan I do try to go that extra second to hold that door open for someone. My mom would Bop me in the head if I didn't.

Did your Grandfather keep a bottle of "Old Crow" behind the seat of his pickup to stay warm and eat Chiltepine Peppers by the handful ?

Quote:
Chiltepines- Use Them on Everything
Chitepin chiles are small, hot and hard to find. The come from a shrub and need to be collected in the wild. They are delicious and very hot. When in doubt, a single chile adds heat and flavor. Two or more should be a thoughtful consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas