Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times

Advertisements

TexasHorseLady - Thanks for the note. I too drive a pickup, so I'm not slamming that per se. I was rather pointing out the pervading mindset of many in Texas, and the rest of the south, that seems to close off the mind to anything other than a simple expected "rules" of Texans. "Yer to think like us, or else yer the enemy".

That's great what you mentioned in the middle paragraph. Thanks.

I was only focusing in on one aspect that hadn't come through in other's posts, and that can't be ignored, since we are talking about attitudes on Texas roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
The real dangers on the road are those who are mentally or physically distracted by either texting, talking on a phone (hands free included). The next most dangerous group are drivers who insist on driving side by side on highways or in city freeways...the biggest risk driving is the vehicle next to you.....car's/trucks in a bunch side by side are not as safe as a more spaced out approach, especially on highways.

Cyclists are danger to themselves as a result of having a huge weight disadvantage, this is true whether they are driving by the rules or otherwise.... If they do something irrationale and a driver in trying to avoid hittimg them has an accident they they can be considered a danger but this situation is rarer than a car driver doing something irrationale

Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The real dangers on the road are those who are mentally or physically distracted by either texting, talking on a phone (hands free included). The next most dangerous group are drivers who insist on driving side by side on highways or in city freeways...the biggest risk driving is the vehicle next to you.....car's/trucks in a bunch side by side are not as safe as a more spaced out approach, especially on highways.

Cyclists are danger to themselves as a result of having a huge weight disadvantage, this is true whether they are driving by the rules or otherwise.... If they do something irrationale and a driver in trying to avoid hittimg them has an accident they they can be considered a danger but this situation is rarer than a car driver doing something irrationale
Could that have anything to do with the relative number of bicyclists versus motorists on the roads?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
I was rather pointing out the pervading mindset of many in Texas, and the rest of the south, that seems to close off the mind to anything other than a simple expected "rules" of Texans. "Yer to think like us, or else yer the enemy".
The alternative, I suppose, to the "Sunderig" interpretation of any dispute between established Texas culture, and those who expect it to change for their own benefit, is that the former is always backward and wrong. And you if backwards Texans don't adapt, then "you guys" need to join the 21st Century (or whatever...)

Heck, SP, lots of us know your disdain and contempt for Texas (and the South in general). and the mannerisms/culture/etc of the natives of the same. You can hardly state it plainer -- nor more obviously -- that your several year history of doing so.

And that is fine, on some levels. Actually, as the old saying goes, "I used to be disgusted, but now just amused."

If some people could ever get over their almost pathological hatred of Texas, then they might see things are -- just perhaps -- a little more detailed and deep than just some supercilious and "simplistic" (yeah, I can use that adjective too! ) notion that the said "rules" just sprang out of nowhere, and exist just to antanonize yankees! LOL

But seriously, generally accepted "rules" of the road, are just another name for "customs and traditions"...and actually have more force than "written law" itself...espcially when it comes to social habits...which can go from the home to the highway. And they work because they work; they evolved over time. When they don't (work that is)? It is generally because those who care nothing for them, decide to thumb their noses at them...

Quote:
I was only focusing in on one aspect that hadn't come through in other's posts, and that can't be ignored since we are talking about attitudes on Texas roads
True. And the worst attitudes are those who move to Texas from a "bicycle culture" state, and expect it to adapt to them. Yet, of course, to be fair, their are getting to be more and more younger native Texas kids in affluent urban areas -- growing up with the default notion they are the center of the universe -- who adopt the same selfish mannerisms...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
True. And the worst attitudes are those who move to Texas from a "bicycle culture" state, and expect it to adapt to them. Yet, of course, to be fair, their are getting to be more and more younger native Texas kids in affluent urban areas -- growing up with the default notion they are the center of the universe -- who adopt the same selfish mannerisms...
How right you are. I find it to be sickening, but it's damn sure happening.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The highways are safe maybe, but they are not among the safest in the nation and DFW & Houston both are very high on the list of metros where the most pedestrians are killed by cars. I think Dallas is #10 and Houston is around #3.
I will have to take issue with you on this one. The highways (and I know that is a broad definition) of Texas are some of the safest in the nation. The State of Texas has -- for a long time -- put a lot of emphasis on keeping up the major roads and, to boot (no pun intended), empahsize state-endorsed slogans/mottos, such as "Drive Friendly; The Texas Way."

And it was true for a reason. It reflected the overall culture of Texas/Southern hospitality. People moved over for one another, and even for funeral processions. We waved at each other on country roads in casual passing, and would actually yield when we didn't have to on major mix-master interstatates!

If that stats I have read are correct, then injuries/fatalities on highways increased quite a bit during the late 70's when lots of northern transplants moved down. As a general rule, they simply didn't respect Texas driving "rules". Heck, matter of fact, it got so bad that the Texas DPS started offering courses in dirving the Texas way, because these yankees would flip the bird and honk and cuss and think tailgait and think they were back where they came from. Well, it didn't work in Texas, and lots of them found that out the hard way, that Texans/Southerners will be polite until we have been provoked enough to kick sand back in your face! LOL

Regional humor aside, in the urban areas as you mention, you might be right so far as a low-ranking goes. BUT? Could that not be related to that many transplants don't want to adapt to state customs...?

Quote:
Texas cities are built for cars only - at the detriment of all other modes of transportation.
Maybe. However, lots of northern cities are built only for taxi-cabs in the street and rude-bicylers and skate board kiddies running over little old ladies on the sidewalks in an effort to make a delivery! Sorry, I will take Texas! LOL

Quote:
Yet everyone whines when gas rises by a quarter when you have destroyed all alternatives for transportation, but that's Texas for you.
C'mon! Gas usually rises by (whatever) because of more taxes imposed by the feds. And there are no "alternatives" destroyed for transportation in Texas. Also, I don't want to be patronizing and certainly not disrespectul, but it is was not for Texas gas and oil (along with some other South Central states), then the Northeast would freeze in the dark. Sorry, but that is reality...

Dad gum right that is Texas for ya! What else would be the reason so many come down and want to embrace our milk and honey...and leave behind what they ruined and fled....?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Could that have anything to do with the relative number of bicyclists versus motorists on the roads?
Of course it does, fewer riders than drivers directly impacts the frequency of irrational driving actions.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
In answer to the original question, bottom line is the biggest danger on the roadways is the person who thinks their and everyone else's safety is everyone else's responsibility, not their own. If everyone on the roadways today, no matter what the vehicle, felt that the safety of everyone including themselves was their responsibility, the roadways would be a lot less dangerous because everyone would be paying a lot more attention.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In answer to the original question, bottom line is the biggest danger on the roadways is the person who thinks their and everyone else's safety is everyone else's responsibility, not their own. If everyone on the roadways today, no matter what the vehicle, felt that the safety of everyone including themselves was their responsibility, the roadways would be a lot less dangerous because everyone would be paying a lot more attention.
I can one up you TexasHorseLady. If we lived within a resource based economy rather than a monetary based economy then technology would no longer be held back by "money". This would enable more creativity and the "sky's the limit" approach to developing technology in cars that could almost eliminate accidents all together. Then everyone's safe.

Anyway, within our current system, since cars are much MORE DANGEROUS than bicycles it is the greater responsibility of the motorists to make sure they are being safe on the roads. Everyone can make mistakes, but a mistake by a motorist can be deadly to a cyclist. Whereas a mistake by a cyclist is only deadly to the cyclist NOT the motorist.

As far as the whole "Texas mentality" presented in this thread... I'm extremely happy to be living in the loop in Houston where it doesn't feel like actually living in Texas. Houston isn't a very "Texas" city.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I can one up you TexasHorseLady. If we lived within a resource based economy rather than a monetary based economy then technology would no longer be held back by "money". This would enable more creativity and the "sky's the limit" approach to developing technology in cars that could almost eliminate accidents all together. Then everyone's safe.
Right, and if pigs had wings they'd be eagles. This summation is a great example of ideological thinking, which allows for no intrusions of reality and the laws of the market-place. Instead, it relies upon the smug notion that if the economy and resources could just be "centrally controlled" by those "wiser and smarter" than the rest of us? Then, society would be a gosh-dam utopia for everyone concerned.

Technology held back by "money"? LMAO. Technology and advancment of energy independence is held back by ONE thing: Government regulations. Hell, we can't drill for more oil, can't exploit more potential resources, etc.

And by the way? Your conclusions are ridiculous in other ways also. The only totally safe vehicle -- apart from a space-craft operating on rotating magnets -- would be an armored tank type vehicle whose top speed was 20 MPH and got 5 miles to the gallon! And even they might blow up.

Quote:
Anyway, within our current system, since cars are much MORE DANGEROUS than bicycles it is the greater responsibility of the motorists to make sure they are being safe on the roads. Everyone can make mistakes, but a mistake by a motorist can be deadly to a cyclist. Whereas a mistake by a cyclist is only deadly to the cyclist NOT the motorist.
*shrug* Then I guess it is up to bicylists to learn the road culture of where they live, wouldn't you say? *afterthought* No, probably not, come to think of it... However, just something to chew on? What if the idiotic and uncaring manners of the cyclist cause those in cars to crash into one other? Do you seriously think that it doesn't happen? As just a MILD instance, going thru stop signs at full uncaring arrogant speed on a ten-speed, has the potential to kill people other than the bike rider...and has.

Quote:
As far as the whole "Texas mentality" presented in this thread... I'm extremely happy to be living in the loop in Houston where it doesn't feel like actually living in Texas. Houston isn't a very "Texas" city.
*grins in amusement* Now why am I not surprised with this general outlook?. Some folks flee to Texas for jobs and opportunities...but despise Texas itself, barely conceal their contempt for native Texans and our customs and folkways.

What a outlook! Wow. We Texans are soooo impressed. These transplants move like an avalanche from a locale that has been totally screwed up by screwed up policies, come down to a prosperous one? THEN, complain about that it isn't like the one fled to begin with. Gawdamighty...

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-03-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas