U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,719,905 times
George Strait, Landry and Ryan are good ones. Lilypad, I love Willie as much as any Texan but I don't know if we could call him a hero with his recreational activities, if you know what I mean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,237,154 times
Ann Richards
Bob Bullock
Molly Ivans
Barbara Jordan
Bob Wills

Other Texans who made or are making us unique include:

Red Adair
Janis Joplin
Sam Rayburn
Roy Orbison
Charlie Dunn
Dan Rather
Lorenzo De Zavala
Buck Owens

Unread 10-12-2007, 07:53 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,467,931 times
Hands down Davy Crockett.. TN boy (like me) who made his way out here..

Unread 10-12-2007, 08:15 AM

I love that Davy Crockett said, "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas!"

Unread 10-13-2007, 08:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 8,584,698 times
Yes, Willie has been a "bad boy" that way, blue skies! A great talent though. However, just because someone is a celebrity does not make one a hero, for sure. See lists posted here.

Did not know Susan Komen from Texas, I would call her a hero!

Also Ramos and Campeon, El Paso Border Patrol agents, held wrongly in prison for doing their job.

Unread 10-15-2007, 09:42 AM

Oh, I didn't know Susan Komen was from Texas?

Unread 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM

34,476 posts, read 16,758,524 times
Default The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You....

Being a Texas Longhorn fan, I would also like to say Darrell Royal. He's done a lot for UT and for college football.

Unread 10-19-2007, 03:21 PM

3,023 posts, read 4,299,789 times
Ann Richards

Unread 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM

9,573 posts, read 9,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
TEXASREB--why would you call Quakers "celebate"---they weren't any more than anyone else --they married and had children---maybe you are thinking of the Shakers who lived celebate lives and had to get all their new members from converts since they did not "grow" their own...
No, I wasn't thinking, really, when I posted, of Quakers, Shakers or Bakers! My phrasing was really just a somewhat exasperated and exagerated way of making the larger point that VERY few individuals and/or groups would not have been considered "racist" (whatever the heck that means) by todays standards. That was all.

Unread 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM

9,573 posts, read 9,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Austin was from southwest Virginia, Crockett was from Tennessee, Travis was from South Carolina, and Houston was also from Virginia. All great and heroic men for sure, but none of them were Texans and did not come to Texas until they were way into adulthood.

I would like to address this point, which has been brought up several times in the thread by several (so this is NOT directed at you, KewGee! LOL). To wit, that many traditional "Texas Heroes" (Houston, Travis, Bowie, etc) were not actually FROM Texas.

If we go by THAT standard, then the Founding Fathers, and most of the heroes of the American Revolution, were NOT citizens of the United States. They were, quite simply, British colonists and citizens of the same. They became Americans only when independence was declared from England. And even then, it became permanent only when the Revolution was won.

Same with Texas and Texans. Settlers are ALWAYS something else first until independence is secured. In the case of many Texas heroes? They were Americans, then, technically, Mexicans, then, later, Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas