Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 AM

407 posts, read 826,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sigh. If you don't violate the speed limit, you won't get a ticket. If you violate the speed limit, you made a choice to violate the law, man up and admit it and accept the consequences without pretending it's about something other than what it is - you broke the law, and the law won!
I wasen't talking about my speeding, buster. I was talking about flashing lights to warn of a speed trap. The police don't like that, because then the person slows down and the cop can't collect that revenue.

It's not about safety, but about revenue. I don't care how to try to spin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This is something you see more out on some stretch of open highway vs tooling around in the city...especially a large Metro like Dallas. Does the police even attempt to radar in the DFW area? I see a few cops along I-30 around Arlington & FT Worth and every once and a while on the Toll but that's it.
I ran across one just yesterday just south of the Fort Worth limits.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I wasen't talking about my speeding, buster. I was talking about flashing lights to warn of a speed trap. The police don't like that, because then the person slows down and the cop can't collect that revenue.

agreed. If it was about preventing accidents, the police oughta be encouraging it, not discouraging it.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
I always flash my headlights to warn on coming vehicles of a speed trap, waiting until after I pass the speed trap to do so.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,576,440 times
Something I notice is that in Texas (at least around here) if say somebody accidentally cuts you off or something like that and they realize theyre at fault they always wave to acknowledge they screwed up and their sorry. I really like that. In California if somebody cuts you off they just flip you the bird. Anyway its little things like that that I love about the Texas way.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM

563 posts, read 906,030 times
I learned what the flashing lights meant by repetition. At first when I saw them I thought it was weird but then noticed every time I saw that I would see a parked cop within a mile or so. I was 16 when I put this together so I don't know how others do not understand.

I live in Houston and can't really say I've seen this practice decrease too much. I have been warned a few times lately but I've also tried to warn others and sometimes get the "what the hell" look. A couple of times I've glanced in the rear view only to see their ignorance taxed by the police.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM

52,581 posts, read 47,727,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I always flash my headlights to warn on coming vehicles of a speed trap, waiting until after I pass the speed trap to do so.
Ditto here. I still do every once in a while. Hard to believe that some folks just don't know what that means. Many years ago, the day I actually did learn about it, I was driving on a narrow neighborhood semi-thoroughfare (a little too fast) and got a quick view of a passing oncoming car that flashed his headlights. My brother was in the car with me and warned me about a cop up ahead. I knew what the flashing meant and just didn't have much time to react since I was in La-La Land. Sure enough, there was that cop, parked at a stop sign on a side street. I dang near got pulled over for speeding and was lucky I didn't get caught. Just in time, I slowed down.

I really don't see it going on as much as I used to. Makes me wonder what kids are learning these days.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Makes me wonder what kids are learning these days.
Obviously not enough.

Hopefully it's because they just don't know and not that they're displaying the selfish attitude of 'serves you right' mentality.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,235,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
These are tough economic times for many small town governments in Texas. They've learned to effectively use their police and local judges for revenue enhancement and it will only get worse if this economy continues to tread water.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
These are tough economic times for many small town governments in Texas. They've learned to effectively use their police and local judges for revenue enhancement and it will only get worse if this economy continues to tread water.

Corpus Christi has a new police chief that currently has speed traps set out all over the city despite the fact that drivers here are slow ALREADY. They are even citing ppl for driving "the wrong way" in front of their homes. You're right. The best bet is to stick to the 75 mph Interstates. Avoid driving thru the small towns at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas