Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,396,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Quite a ways walk? It is literally a block from Downtown to Uptown. The new Park is 1 block wide and it is the only thing that separates Downtown from Uptown. I spent several hours in Uptown and Downtown Dallas this weekend and it is a sight to behold all the stuff that is happening in those two areas. And there are at least 10 large apartment/condo developments that are currently under construction in those two areas which are going to add thousands of people so it is going to be even more dense here in the next year or so.
THIS THREAD IS LIKE THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK!!

Why do we continue to argue about pointless and meaningless things. I mean REALLY? Will your life really be made better because you live in close proximity to a city which has areas you can walk around in? Especially when YOU RARELY even walk these places? Folks let me tell you Miami, Detroit and Chicago ETC., ETC. , ETC., ETC., (YOUR CITY HERE), are all far more walkable than Houston or Dallas and they are way more miserable.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe we are trying to fill an emotional VOID by clinging to the cty we live in. lets face it Neither Houston nor Dallas are one of the better cities in the world for outdoor activities and walkability. WHO CARES WHICH ONE IS "more walkable" It really does not change anything. Please lets focus on more important things like (anything else).

You can walk anywhere you want in the world. Unless the terrain is very rough almost any place in the world is extremely walkable.

If you mean places where you can walk around while people watching and window shopping then any mall/city center will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,346,321 times
Quote:
WHO CARES WHICH ONE IS "more walkable" It really does not change anything. Please lets focus on more important things like (anything else).

You can walk anywhere you want in the world. Unless the terrain is very rough almost any place in the world is extremely walkable.
Dallas and Houston are both not very walkable cities, but while it's technically true that people can walk anywhere, there are gauges as to how far people will walk of their own accord. Walkability is going to be a major driver of (wealthy) cities in the future, and it's a good reason why downtown Dallas and downtown Houston are as terrible as they are - because the city planners don't care. Except that road repairs in the near future due to sprawl and lack of walkablity are going to destroy more DFW area suburbs as the density is too low to pay to maintain all the streets. That means taxes are going up and the only well maintained streets will be in the nice areas of the cities.

How Far People are Willing to Walk

The London/Rome Standard - 2 Miles
Main Street Standard - 3/4 Mile
Inner City Neighborhood Street Standard - 1/4 Mile
Suburban Neighborhood Standard - 1/10 Mile
The Subdivision Standard - 250 Feet
The Strip Mall Standard - 100 Feet - you've probably stalked someone with your car or waited for them to pull out rather than picking a farther away spot at Wal-Mart? That's because of this.
The Parking-Backed Standard - 25 Feet

BTW, Dallas is #10 and Houston is #9 in most major city pedestrian deaths in the past 10 years. Over 1000 pedestrians have been run over in Houston, and only slightly less in Dallas. 100 people per year.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,353,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Seriously?

Someome from Austin comparing their failed light rail system to Houston's which has one of the highest riderships in the nation?

Houston's light rail opened the same time the one in Minneaplolis did & is the same size yet Houston's ridership is more than double.
What does him being from Austin have anything to do with it? Did he provide facts? Yes. Did he say the truth about Downtown Houston and how they need to improve on their public transit system? Yes. Learn to take constructive criticism.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,043,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
BTW, Dallas is #10 and Houston is #9 in most major city pedestrian deaths in the past 10 years. Over 1000 pedestrians have been run over in Houston, and only slightly less in Dallas. 100 people per year.
So they must be below average since Dallas is the eighth largest city and Houston is fourth. Nevertheless, it's a supporting reason for expansion of the pedestrian network.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Judging by the map, Houston's downtown grid and tunnel is way more compact than Dallas' and appears to be twice the size.

When you drive through downtown Dallas it seems like you've exited just as soon as you've entered. Houston doesn't feel like that.
How do I get to my hotel in Downtown Dallas so I can get out at street level and explore the "urbanity"? I drove for 3.5 hours on I-45 and now just have to navigate the local streets. There are 1,2, 3 or 4 (and sadistically maybe a 5th street) grid that juxtaposes each another!?! What a torture chamber! I'll be spending an extra hour finding my hotel. I guess I'll explore the streets tomorrow morning after a good night's rest.

I miss Downtown Houston's uniform street grid with the consistent one-way streets!

Last edited by KerrTown; 08-15-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,802,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If we closed all of our rail system except from Fair Park to the zoo and Victory Park, we'd probably have a higher number of passengers per mile than Houston and about as much length of tracks...
doubt it. Dallas does a pure job of funnel people to the rail.

But all this coulda shoula woulda is meaningless. DART already effed up its system. No fixing it now.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
doubt it. Dallas does a pure job of funnel people to the rail.

But all this coulda shoula woulda is meaningless. DART already effed up its system. No fixing it now.
How is our system screwed up? And how is that worse than not even having a system?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
How do I get to my hotel in Downtown Dallas so I can get out at street level and explore the "urbanity"? I drove for 3.5 hours on I-45 and now just have to navigate the local streets. There are 1,2, 3 or 4 (and sadistically maybe a 5th street) grid that juxtaposes each another!?! What a torture chamber! I'll be spending an extra hour finding my hotel. I guess I'll explore the streets tomorrow morning after a good night's rest.

I miss Downtown Houston's uniform street grid with the consistent one-way streets!
What are you doing, wandering around hoping to find it? A map will show you where the street is and the addresses are easy to figure out. Google Maps will show you exactly where the place is. A GPSR will give you directions to get there. It's not that hard. I had no problem finding my hotel in Downtown before I ever moved here.

And I don't know what you're talking about with the five dimensions of streets. There's only one and it's not that hard to figure out except right at I-30 where some go over and some are at the same level. I don't think there are any hotels there though.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,524,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I vote niether.

Both have walkable neighborhoods, neither is a walkable city and its foolish to talk like they are.

I find Fort Worth and Austin to be more walkable than Houston or Dallas.

Exactly. Austin and Ft. Worth are by far the most walkable cities in Texas. Dallas and Houston come in at a distant 3a and 3b. And the tunnels SUCK. If both cities were smart, they would shut them down immediately and breathe life into the city. People can easily get used to the heat. It's no wonder that both Houston and Dallas are two of the fattest cities in this country. It's because they're full of people who would rather drive three blocks than walk in inconvenient weather.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,303,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Exactly. Austin and Ft. Worth are by far the most walkable cities in Texas. Dallas and Houston come in at a distant 3a and 3b. And the tunnels SUCK. If both cities were smart, they would shut them down immediately and breathe life into the city. People can easily get used to the heat. It's no wonder that both Houston and Dallas are two of the fattest cities in this country. It's because they're full of people who would rather drive three blocks than walk in inconvenient weather.
Listen to the Chicagoan! He knows his stuff Dwam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas