Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Downtown is the only party spot in Austin? Have you ever even been to Austin? I'm sorry to make an off topic post, but can't help it because every post I have ever read from Trae regarding Austin has been very misinformed as is this one. There are many party areas all over 78704 including SoCo, Barton Springs, S 1st and lots of great bars and clubs along Lamar. Also East Side 6th & 7th streets have become a huge party and late night art scene now as has North Loop in North Austin. The Drag and / Guad & University area, Lake Austin Blvd, Riverside always have been there and then there is also the party scenes on the lakes and rivers around Austin. Just to name a few of the more popular areas outside of downtown right now. Downtown Austin does have many huge party scenes like clean and dirty 6th areas, Red River, Rainey District, Warehouse District, Rail District and 2nd Street. Of course the other areas of Austin may seem small in comparison to downtown, but so would most any main scene in most any other major American city including anything in your Houston. Without comparing the East Side (as just one of the examples) to Downtown, but looking at it on its own, it is a hugely popular and active scene. To suggest it isn't is a lie though I know that is par for you post about Austin.

Please don't make statements as facts regarding cities you clearly have never been to and know absolutely nothing about.
You have to remember a lot of non-Austinites consider all of those areas you name as "downtown". Heck, I've even heard other Austinites call some of those "downtown!" While maybe not technically correct, they don't mean it as an insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM

229 posts, read 303,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Likewise, i never said there were not other party spots in austin. Downtown is just the main one and the only place I have been taken when in Austin. It's where everyone goes. In Houston, everyone goes somewhere around the Inner Loop. And no, downtown Houston may not be as lively as Austin, but there is a consistent party scene there on the weekends.

The difference being that in Austin, those other spots are real neighborhoods; walkable, dense, pedestrian-friendly, like a real city. Houston may have a lot of spots where people go in the inner loop, but those spots are spread out, not contiguous, are not walkable and are much more suburban in nature. A cluster of a few clubs here, and a few clubs there wouldn't necessarily be considered "spots".

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
The difference being that in Austin, those other spots are real neighborhoods; walkable, dense, pedestrian-friendly, like a real city. Houston may have a lot of spots where people go in the inner loop, but those spots are spread out, not contiguous, are not walkable and are much more suburban in nature. A cluster of a few clubs here, and a few clubs there wouldn't necessarily be considered "spots".
That's untrue. Did you miss the Walkscores I posted? Look at the maps too. Every post I've seen from about Houston has been very misinformed and stating untruths. Even now, with data already presented.

Last edited by sxrckr; 08-17-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,041,023 times
Quote:
Are there could just be smarter pedestrians down here. We are talking fatalities, not pedestrian activity overall in a city. That's why o said it doesn't mean it is below average.
It does mean that the accidents are below average. It doesn't necessarily mean that foot traffic is below average, but that's where I'd place my bet.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 PM

709 posts, read 1,394,440 times
Quote:
Doesn't compare to Downtown Austin at all. Every city is going to have other small pockets here and there, but Downtown Austin is the unquestioned king for partying/going out in Austin. Compare that to DFW, where Dallas has a few spots scattered around Uptown/Downtown and then Fort Worth. Not to mention some of these suburbs have their own little bar/club areas. Houston has spots all around the Inner Loop, and some clubs down Richmond. Just look at what your fellow Austinite said above my post.
Of course downtown is king, but that isn't what you said. You said [downtown] is "the only real party spot in Austin." Totally agree with this follow up post you made, and you just said what I said in my post, that those other areas can't compare with downtown. But you originally said downtown was the only party spot in Austin. Which is absolutely not true at all. Downtown Austin is a massive party scene. Like I said, most major cities main party scenes would look small compared to it. That doesn't mean they are. Using downtown Austin as the measuring stick for the other areas outside of Austin and saying anything thing that falls short of downtown Austin isn't a real party scene is not realistic.

I also totally agree, Houston and DFW have great scenes all around town. I didn't say otherwise. You said otherwise about Austin.

Quote:
Likewise, i never said there were not other party spots in austin. Downtown is just the main one and the only place I have been taken when in Austin. It's where everyone goes. In Houston, everyone goes somewhere around the Inner Loop. And no, downtown Houston may not be as lively as Austin, but there is a consistent party scene there on the weekends.
Yes you did, here is your quote.

Quote:
Doesn't go with what you thought huh? And all of the downtowns are walkable. Austin has more activity because that's the only real party spot in Austin. Works for the city.
============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You have to remember a lot of non-Austinites consider all of those areas you name as "downtown". Heck, I've even heard other Austinites call some of those "downtown!" While maybe not technically correct, they don't mean it as an insult.
No worries, and I agree. You generally have a good take on Austin. But most Austinites all have weird ways they think and talk about everything. I just kinda put that in the 'whatever' kinda category of like we have a bunch of names for most all our roads, lakes, bridges, swimming holes, you name it. We never really agree on anything as far as naming or where areas are or end, and anythings 'official meaning' is never even taken into consideration. lol. Things just change to fast in Austin.

Like here is one example, most everyone thinks of Seton Central which is on 38th Street as "Seton Downtown." I call it the "Downtown Seton." And everyone in Austin considers UT and West Campus as downtown, which includes The Drag I mentioned in my post. But UT is obviously a school and not a CBD, so officially not part of downtown of course. lol. Also while most all Austinites have a very clear distinction of South Austin and Downtown, Barton Springs is often though of as downtown. But while most everyone in Austin would call the area between Barton Springs to 38th Street as "downtown" that area is massive! Like 7 or 8 sq miles. So when talking on C-D, and especially to someone like Trae who both hates and is very misinformed about Austin, it is always best to use the official rather than what Austinites think or use. Other wise the discussion will just chase its tail and get nowhere since what any two different Austinites think or use about anything is rarely consistent. lol.

The areas that would be considered downtown that I mentioned would be The Drag/Guad and University area obviously, and depending on who you are talking to Barton Springs. I don't think anyone would consider East Side 6th & 7th as downtown. And no one I know would ever think of SoCo, S1st or S Lamar as downtown. Maybe if they were from Round Rock they might though. They have their own way of thinking about Austin, lol. North Loop for sure not. It is at least 3 miles north of downtown at it closest point and further from there. To me that area I always thought of as North Austin (may as well be Canada for me, lol) and avoided at all cost until only the past year or 2 since it has really changed. Now there are tons of great stores and coffee shops and other places I love there. But I'd never think of it as downtown.

For Lake Austin Blvd, I would think of Deep Eddy Swimming Pool as downtown, but that is just right there by Mopac. Beyond that you have UT and the Golf Course that in my mind really separates the part on Lake Austin with the part on Town Lake. I think of it more as Terrytown or even Westlake because we get there by boats usually from Westlake. For Riverside Austinites have never thought of it as downtown. Mostly just the area where the super poor UT students lived. But that has already changed in the past 5 years dramatically, and continuing to change and I really don't know what to think of it as anymore. I don't think anyone does. There have been 1,000s of affordable units added to West Campus, and there are currently thousands more under construction. While in Riverside all the old crappy student housing units have mowed down left and right and they are building massive fancy complexes. Only thing I can think of it as today is a massive construction zone. It no longer has any identity anymore, but once they finish some of those projects it will be interesting to see what the area is like. There are some great clubs out there. Emos which for many many years was the biggest club with the best music on 6th street downtown moved from 6th to Riverside recently. It will be interesting to see how that area forms its new identity.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-17-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
The only "real" party spot in Austin. Didn't say it was the only spot. It's just the unquestioned largest and most active. No other area comes close.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM

709 posts, read 1,394,440 times
How are the scenes on the East Side, 78704, Lake Austin or around Campus not "Real" scenes? You weren't comparing them to downtown, you said they aren't "real" scenes. They can't be compared. Nowhere else in the entire State of Texas can compare. That doesn't mean they aren't "real" scenes, nor that they aren't very large scenes in their own right. Because they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas