Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Underrated City in East Texas
Longview 12 26.67%
Lufkin 10 22.22%
Nacogdoches 8 17.78%
Tyler 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times

Advertisements

I would say that Longview is over shadow by Tyler which doesn't make sense to me.Longview have all the quality of life and living as well as Tyler but people think that Tyler is the top dog.Longview offer alot of retailers that you won't find in Tyler and the same goes for Tyler.Longview is just as important to Northeast Texas as Tyler is.Both city malls feature different stores and both malls have good shopping.
Nacogdoches is also a city that is over shadow by Lufkin because alot of the business district is heavily
concentrated in the inner city then on the travelers route US 59 future to be I69.Nacogdoches and Lufkin are both opposite,in Nacogdoches you have a major universty Stephen F.Austin and natural trails that cover the city and side walks that cover most the city then basically any city mention.The city is consider the hilly city of east texas because the downtown sets in a valley.If you are coming in east of downtown or west of downtown you will be a quater of a mile up in the sky dazing at the lighting of downtown and surrouding business and homes.Lufkin has a slight edge on shopping with more of a conservative environment.Lufkin has wonderful highway system that compells to a city of over 50,000 and Lufkin and Nacogdoches both have national chain resturants and retail you won't find in Tyler or Longview and the same goes for them.To Sum this up Nacogdoches and Longview are the under dogs with Tyler taking all the credit for want to be the only major hub of east texas but don't have all the qualitys to claim it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I would say that Longview is over shadow by Tyler which doesn't make sense to me.Longview have all the quality of life and living as well as Tyler but people think that Tyler is the top dog.Longview offer alot of retailers that you won't find in Tyler and the same goes for Tyler.Longview is just as important to Northeast Texas as Tyler is.Both city malls feature different stores and both malls have good shopping.
Nacogdoches is also a city that is over shadow by Lufkin because alot of the business district is heavily
concentrated in the inner city then on the travelers route US 59 future to be I69.Nacogdoches and Lufkin are both opposite,in Nacogdoches you have a major universty Stephen F.Austin and natural trails that cover the city and side walks that cover most the city then basically any city mention.The city is consider the hilly city of east texas because the downtown sets in a valley.If you are coming in east of downtown or west of downtown you will be a quater of a mile up in the sky dazing at the lighting of downtown and surrouding business and homes.Lufkin has a slight edge on shopping with more of a conservative environment.Lufkin has wonderful highway system that compells to a city of over 50,000 and Lufkin and Nacogdoches both have national chain resturants and retail you won't find in Tyler or Longview and the same goes for them.To Sum this up Nacogdoches and Longview are the under dogs with Tyler taking all the credit for want to be the only major hub of east texas but don't have all the qualitys to claim it.
Have you ever driven into Tyler at night from the south on 69? Its a pretty amazing view for East Texas given all the tall trees that block most everything. Downtown, Uptown, & the Med Center are all three seen off in the distance with the city lights of Tyler twinkling down below. You get a good 8-10 mile view from this particular vantage point.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Have you ever driven into Tyler at night from the south on 69? Its a pretty amazing view for East Texas given all the tall trees that block most everything. Downtown, Uptown, & the Med Center are all three seen off in the distance with the city lights of Tyler twinkling down below.
Yea I have seen that but it doesn't compare to Nacogdoches because unlike Tyler, trees are not block the view of downtown Nacogdoches east or west of downtown.Metro Matt give Nacogdoches its props please that would be very nice

Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
I can agree w/ what you said about Longview. and that's where it stops

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I can agree w/ what you said about Longview. and that's where it stops
What do you mean?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
Quote:
you will be a quater of a mile up in the sky dazing at the lighting of downtown and surrouding business and homes.
Huh? Last time I went through this area I didn't notice a ~1,300ft difference in elevation...

Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Huh? Last time I went through this area I didn't notice a ~1,300ft difference in elevation...
You probably stayed on Loop 224 and didn't adventure into the inner city.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
You probably stayed on Loop 224 and didn't adventure into the inner city.
Nope, just pointing out facts. I will say that East Texas does not get credit for having the varying topography that it does.
Downtown Nacogdoches elevation is 302ft, highest point in Nacogdoches County is 720ft. Only 900ft short of a quarter of a mile.

city elevation: Nacogdoches, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Highest point county: Texas County High Points - Peakbagger.com

Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Nope, just pointing out facts. I will say that East Texas does not get credit for having the varying topography that it does.
Downtown Nacogdoches elevation is 302ft, highest point in Nacogdoches County is 720ft. Only 900ft short of a quarter of a mile.

city elevation: Nacogdoches, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Highest point county: Texas County High Points - Peakbagger.com
Actually your making false statements because orton hill on the east end is a quater of a mile high by calculation of being in a car.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I bet the view from those towering 4 story New York City developer apartment complexes are awe-inspiring and I'm sure the Taco Bueno near by adds a little class as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas