U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

Hello, me and my family are considering buying one of these lots and had a question for a current resident or anyone with knowledge of the utilities used. I can understand if there is no water run out to some of the lots but I wanted to know which electric utility company is used. I searched on yp.com and more than a few companies were listed for the sierra blanca city. That confused me for a city with less than 600 residents. I currently live in Nashville, tn and we only have one provider. So, my question is, which is the better company from a consumer point of view?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
rwr

240 posts, read 258,100 times
Default Buyer Beware!!

To answer your question - I do not know of the utilities available to this desolate location. I would not be suprised if electricity is the only utility "available" and it might cost thousands of dollars to get it to your property. Have you actually set foot on the property? You do realize that this is desert and as dry as satan's tongue. Please do due diligence before purchasing. Just because this is part of Texas being sold at "bargain prices" does not mean it is a good or even fair deal.
Good Luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM

889 posts, read 949,245 times
I looked into these places a few years ago, and you pretty much have to supply your own electricity with a portable generator. The cost of having electricity or any other utility put in is mainly determined by the location...distance from nearest utility pole, for instance. If you don't plan on building a permanent structure to live in, a generator is the best way to go.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM

4,523 posts, read 5,817,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardunofamily View Post
Hello, me and my family are considering buying one of these lots and had a question for a current resident or anyone with knowledge of the utilities used. I can understand if there is no water run out to some of the lots but I wanted to know which electric utility company is used. I searched on yp.com and more than a few companies were listed for the sierra blanca city. That confused me for a city with less than 600 residents. I currently live in Nashville, tn and we only have one provider. So, my question is, which is the better company from a consumer point of view?
You might want to take a look at this old thread that contains a link on the last page to where they've taken their discussions to, which would be very beneficial reading for you: Wallace Town USA (a West Texas chattin' thread)

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 40,298 times
Please also be aware (if not already) that Sierra Blanca was the site of a sewage sludge dump several years ago. Google "sierra blanca sludge".

Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,861 times
The generator would do fine considering i'm placing a camper on the site. For now. As for the "sludge dump". I've read about that as well some time ago. The people who live there have no problem with the old site. If you look at pictures of what it looks like now, you wouldn't know it was there. You can even google earth the site and see for yourself. Even if the picture is one or two years old, the dumping stopped what 12 years ago? City water company tests the water regularly. That's available to the public as well. I'm pretty sure if a mutant baby popped up from that area, the internet will be the first to know. lol I hope that old site doesn't deter anyone away from this area. Like it was said before, do your due diligence and search for yourself instead of hearsay.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM

416 posts, read 783,927 times
don't buy there if your end goal is to hang onto it...hope the value goes up...and then sell....not going to happen. Also make sure that you have access to your plot of land.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,823 times
What I see as the major problem with sunset ranches is HONESTY! I spoke with the sales agent and I told him I did not want to waste any time talking to someone who was not familiar with the property and who could answer my questions. The agents name was Jerry. I asked questions that were important to us.
I asked are there any restrictions on what we build and building materials? we want to attempt to build a self-sufficient, sustainable, green home made with alternative building materials. The Jerry told me point blank that there were no restrictions. After I spoke with him, I found a legal document on file with the Hudspeth Co. courthouse. This is an 11page document entitled "Declaration of Restrictive Covenants'. In this document I found a number of, what I would call Honesty Issues.
The worst if all these is #23 (of 26): "These restrictive covenants shall run with and irrevocably bind the land whether acquired by descent, devise, purchase or otherwise, and shallinure to the benefit of and be enforcable by the Declarant or the owner of any tract subject to these restrictive covenants, and their legal representatives, heirs, successors and assigns and, unless amended as provided by law, shall be effective for a term of 99 years from the date this declaration was first recorded..."
So according to this covenant, I can't build the house I want to for 139 years...(there is an automatic renewal of this covenant for an additional 40 years)
If I buy the property outright I ought to own it. They say there is no HOA, but in effect there is someone who can tell you what you can and can't do, and there are provisions for them to take your property and keep your money if you violate.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ALL ABOUT? THIS IS THE SOVEREIGN STATE OF TEXAS...NOT THE UNITED SOVIET STATES OF TEXAS!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardunofamily View Post

Hi, I own 260 acres in Blue Quail 3 of Sunset Ranches. The only electricity here is on the lots closest to RM 1111. Other than that you have to supply your own electricity whether by generator or solor or wind power. The area is desertous so not everyone likes it out here. I for one love it. There is also no water available on the property so you have to haul it in from Sierra Blanca water company. The cost is $36 per 2000 gallons. Please feel free to contact me anytime. I live on my property full time. Also the cell phone reception is almost non existent. The internet service is by satellite and not very good at this time, although they are in the process of upgrading their systems.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 PM

4,074 posts, read 4,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505 Ranch View Post
Hi, I own 260 acres in Blue Quail 3 of Sunset Ranches. The only electricity here is on the lots closest to RM 1111. Other than that you have to supply your own electricity whether by generator or solor or wind power. The area is desertous so not everyone likes it out here. I for one love it. There is also no water available on the property so you have to haul it in from Sierra Blanca water company. The cost is $36 per 2000 gallons. Please feel free to contact me anytime. I live on my property full time. Also the cell phone reception is almost non existent. The internet service is by satellite and not very good at this time, although they are in the process of upgrading their systems.
I bet you see a lot of cool sunsets. I've driven through there a few times and from what I could see looked really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas