Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm wondering why this is even an issue.
It's not an issue,
my question might be a little too much for some people.

I'm not saying that it bothers me, I'm asking, what motivates a business to spend money on a Billboard and target only people that speak Spanish.
I understand what it says, but my wife has no idea of what it says.
If the billboard was both in English and Spanish.... I wouldn't have asked this question at all.

If you don't believe me, I listen to the show "Raul Brindis y Pepito" every morning.
I even ran into "El Turky" in San Antonio and I didn't think it was him because he's so damn ugly, I thought it was a day laborer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's not an issue,
my question might be a little too much for some people.

I'm not saying that it bothers me, I'm asking, what motivates a business to spend money on a Billboard and target only people that speak Spanish.
I understand what it says, but my wife has no idea of what it says.
If the billboard was both in English and Spanish.... I wouldn't have asked this question at all.

If you don't believe me, I listen to the show "Raul Brindis y Pepito" every morning.
I even ran into "El Turky" in San Antonio and I didn't think it was him because he's so damn ugly, I thought it was a day laborer.
Marketing. There's an extended Clay Cooley (cars) commercial during the weekend all in Spanish. It's hysterical, if you ever happen on it. There's a huge market out there of Spanish speakers. Whether you (general you, not you, Dopo) agree with WHY there is this huge market or not, it exists and many business owners are going to take advantage of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
I have a hard time understanding what motivates a business such as Budweiser and many others to have billboards in Spanish...instead of having them in English.
This is kind of funny. I was just driving around my small town in far Northern California the other day and there are three Bud Light billboards in Spanish here. Oroville's Hispanic population is only 12.5% in a town of 15,500 people (and the majority of those are Mexican-American who speak English). That's not counting the surrounding rural foothill areas which have an additional 25K people and are almost completely white. I can understand it in large cities in Central and Southern California, but here? I guess their marketing is to push beer to Hispanics nationwide regardless of the ethnic/linguistic makeup of the community the sign is in.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Marketing. There's an extended Clay Cooley (cars) commercial during the weekend all in Spanish. It's hysterical, if you ever happen on it.
there's a commercial on the radio of "Gallery Furniture" that I understand about 1/2 of what that guy says.
You reminded me of some of the funniest commercials I've seen in Spanish by English speakers.

SERIE 'LOS PEORES COMERCIALES EN ESPAÑOL EN EUA': JIM ADLER (1) - YouTube

ShamWow ... en español - full length - - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
You reminded me of some of the funniest commercials I've seen in Spanish by English speakers.
Ha ha. I speak very little Spanish but their accents were still obvious. I think I could've done a better job.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
The Spanish language has always been a major force in Texas. English did not overtake it until late in the 19th century. We should be surprised that it is still spoken largely. I'm glad it is. It is a huge part of our Texan heritage.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
This is somewhat pedantic, but it has to be over half to be majority. I believe the term for being under half but outnumbering any other group is plurality.
Texas is one of four majority/minority states. The four states are Texas, Hawaii, New Mexico and California.

This means that though people of European decent and NOT Hispanic (aka "white people!") may be the largest group as a whole, they are outnumbered by other ethnic groups.

Texas is 47 percent "white" and 53 percent "others." The majority of those "others" are "Hispanic."

So - this little white lady here is a minority in Texas.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The Spanish language has always been a major force in Texas. English did not overtake it until late in the 19th century. We should be surprised that it is still spoken largely. I'm glad it is. It is a huge part of our Texan heritage.
Right on. Texas wouldn't be Texas without the influence of Mexico and Spain and all the treasures that come from those places.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas is one of four majority/minority states. The four states are Texas, Hawaii, New Mexico and California.

This means that though people of European decent and NOT Hispanic (aka "white people!") may be the largest group as a whole, they are outnumbered by other ethnic groups.

Texas is 47 percent "white" and 53 percent "others." The majority of those "others" are "Hispanic."

So - this little white lady here is a minority in Texas.
Not really. You're still a member of the largest ethnic group. It's just that your ethnic group no longer constitutes a majority on its own, but rather a plurality.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not really. You're still a member of the largest ethnic group. It's just that your ethnic group no longer constitutes a majority on its own, but rather a plurality.
The correct term is minority majority state. I was being facetious.
Minority-majority state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White, non hispanic people make up less than 50 percent of the population in Texas as a whole. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas