U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 559 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to texas in the next 3 years. We have a 10 year old and is considering very hard of relocating down there just before he starts high school. We are african-american in our mid-30s. We want to live somewhere that is quiet, have good schools, diversification so that we are not looked at as being black as you are a criminal. Were we can have farm land, some acreage but is close to a major city say within 20-50 miles. We are city people but are country at heart. We live in the south suburbs of chicago now. We have 5 dogs now. We love animals and want to have more animals and rescue more dogs as well. We want to be able to open a no kill animal shelter for dogs especially. We love off-roading, racing, hiking and dining. By us being a african-american family we are automatically looked at as ghetto, criminals but we both have good jobs making over $100,000 combine income, our son is respectful and we want a community that will be friend us and add to our life not bring stress to it. Please help! We do not know what cities to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,616,232 times
You might check out Corsicana.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VTDqttcJlGsMEQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1yrtEpAvhXkHUw

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM

2,353 posts, read 6,220,968 times
Lots of areas in Texas that do fit your needs..some don't what area of Texas were you hoping for?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,917,127 times
East Texas is the only region of the state I would recommend for the OP. Since they're interested in being close to a major city, I would first look at the outlying areas of DFW and Houston. You'll find black farmers and the like around the region. I can't pin point any specific location, though, when it comes to schools.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,714,532 times
My $.02

Again I find myself agreeing with Nairobi. If you want to farm or have pasture I'd say your more successful areas are east of I-35 and maybe even east of I-45. Yes there are some excellent areas between the two interstates but my argument is the further west the more arid so one is at the mercy of the weather more. East Texas can get around 50" of precipitation a year.

My situation ... I am further out than y'all want to be ... I am an hour and a half northeast of Houston and 45 minutes north of Beaumont. I live on 50 acres and farm about 2 of that and right now only have poultry, dogs and cats. Most of my land is wooded and my kids are growing up country. We are 7 miles from school, 12 miles from a Wal Mart in the nearest town of 2,500. My kids ride 4 wheelers, fish in our ponds, hunt a little with me. They still say prayers at our school and before football games. We have Little League, Little Dribblers, and Junior League Football.

Drawbacks are time and fuel expenses of going places. We go to Houston to the museum district or shopping 4-5 times a year. When we go to the mall or out to eat it is usually in Beaumont. I work in Beaumont (I'm an RN) and it is 50 miles one way.

We can/freeze veggies, eat "organic" eggs, our neighbors give us beef when they slaughter, we eat wild game. It is a kinda throwback to the 50's for my kids in my opinion. Yes, we have some problems, our schools have drugs ... not as prevalent as in cities (by far), there is some theft/burglary, but we watch out for each other. Pace is slower here.

I applaud your decision and again because of rainfall and loamy soil recommend East Texas. Maybe somewhere on the US 59 corridor north of Houston or even on the outskirts of Conroe. WE ARE JUST A FEW MILES WEST OF us 69. Land prices will be higher the closer "in" you are though. Acreage in my area for good property is around $2500/ac. I'd love to have y'all for neighbors ... sound like you are thinking right! Good luck.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 6,220,968 times
Well, I am going to throw in for east of 35 from Austin/San Antonio for good pasture land and not to high of prices and you would be able to get to SA/Austin and maybe Houston within a reasonable time (this is Texas so we judge distances somewhat differently). I love the Hill Country and have a place there but its hard to farm. You can keep cows,horses and the likes but a twisted ankle on a cow is always in the picture due to the rocks. Maybe look into the triangle area between Dallas,Austin and Houston as the points. Good luck..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 7,824 times
I am going to say Corsicana too. We just moved here and live outside of town and absolutely love it so far! My kids go to Kerens School, which is smaller than Corsicana's schools, but I love the small school - and so far it seems like a really good school! It is a diverse area but also has that small town country feel. We bought 200 acres because we enjoy the same activities you do. Good luck in your search!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas