U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM

454 posts, read 270,647 times

Advertisements

I've read about the recent $60 million dollar high school football stadium and realized only in texas could something like that be built for HS football. I've heard HS football is as big to some as the NCAA or even the NFL.

So what exactly makes texans so much more passionate about football all the way down at the HS level compared to a lot of the rest of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,672,512 times
I have only a theory. HS football is traditional, originating from times when TV was not around or in its infancy. It was the Friday night entertainment thing in most areas with the kid next door or down the block being the star(s). Children went to these events (I did) with their parents thus it became tradition.

These qualities are still present with the exception of television with its hundreds of channels.

I went to a smaller high school in SE Texas that still holds the record attendance for a HS football game at nearly 50K. I was at this game pulling for Port Neches-Groves (which I attended ). The town of Port Neches population is around 14,000 as is the town of Groves. Their kids attend a combined high school.

Before the rise of the Dallas area schools (from now on will be called the MetroMess) Euless, Southlake Carroll, etc and their huge schools and fan bases PN-G held 6 of the top 10 attendance records regularly putting 30,000 plus attendees in the Astrodome during their '70's playoff runs. A good friend of mine wrote a quite informative and researched book on the Port Neches-Groves Indians call "Down Trails of Victory".

Amazon.com: Down Trails Of Victory: The Story Of Port Neches-Groves High School Football (9780964502024): Jon Buck Ford: Books

Down Trails of Victory | pngindians.com

Texas high schools regularly seed college football with huge numbers of players. Texas High School football fever ... catch it!!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

13,182 posts, read 7,843,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I've read about the recent $60 million dollar high school football stadium and realized only in texas could something like that be built for HS football. I've heard HS football is as big to some as the NCAA or even the NFL.

So what exactly makes texans so much more passionate about football all the way down at the HS level compared to a lot of the rest of the country?
Probably, at it's core is because these small towns are a spread out 10 miles apart, and the only entertainment is a small soft ball field, or the football on Friday night. It doesn't cost much to go.

Also, the weather is better for football than up North. Hence that's why they are better at basketball and wrestling.

That's the culture behind it. Many people in the suburbs experienced this as a kid.

I'm going to this game at the $60 million dollar stadium tommorow. They expect around 20K in attendance.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 AM

13,182 posts, read 7,843,634 times
Also at the other end of the spectrum. In two weeks I'll be in Oklahoma where the town is so small they play 8 man football.

There, you can back your SUV or pick up right up to the field and tail gate while you watch football under the lights with all the bugs...LOL

Just like in this Kenny Chesney song. The only diner in town, tapes all the news articles about the team behind the cash register.

My kids from Texas love it.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,117,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

I went to a smaller high school in SE Texas that still holds the record attendance for a HS football game at nearly 50K. I was at this game pulling for Port Neches-Groves (which I attended ). The town of Port Neches population is around 14,000 as is the town of Groves. Their kids attend a combined high school.
Oh dear if you went to PN-G... I went to WO-S, and I remember going to the district games. I can vouch for y'alls attendance. PN-G is like a mini version of Texas A&M. PN-G had a good band, too, placing at the state marching contest in the late 80s. I remember the saying about PN-G on channel 6 or 12 sports news - "Last one going to the game turn out the lights"

I honestly don't know why HS football is so big. It was big when I was a child so I guess I always expected it to be that way.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,273,729 times
Tonight High School football is back in the state of Texas. New Synthetic Turf at both Fort Bend Stadiums in Sugar Land and Missouri City.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,928,032 times
Because this is Texas and we do everything a little bigger. I just wish they'd make a 6A class and stop handing out state championship rings to two teams from the same class (divisions 1 and 2). STUPID!

Real answer, its just a part of the culture here. Watch the movie Friday Night Lights and/or read the book. You'll get a better grasp of why things are the way there are here.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,672,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Oh dear if you went to PN-G... I went to WO-S, and I remember going to the district games. I can vouch for y'alls attendance. PN-G is like a mini version of Texas A&M. PN-G had a good band, too, placing at the state marching contest in the late 80s. I remember the saying about PN-G on channel 6 or 12 sports news - "Last one going to the game turn out the lights"

I honestly don't know why HS football is so big. It was big when I was a child so I guess I always expected it to be that way.
My sister is married to Dan Hooks' 2nd cousin! Yep ... she's a Hooks!

Always liked and respected the 'Stangs!

I also lived across the street from the HS (PN_G) from '86-'96. Friday nights were a nightmare.

Synthetic turf for 3 years now:

Last edited by BobTex; 08-30-2012 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM

12,725 posts, read 12,969,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post

Although I would not support a $60M stadium with my tax dollars, keep in mind that this particular stadium is a one of a kind in Texas - at least for now. Allen ISD is a wealthy school district and their voters voted to issue the bonds to pay for it.

As college football prices itself into what used to be NFL prices - high school football could become even more attractive as a less commercialized and genuine sport. When you watch a HS game - you are watching your neighbor's kids (or your own), playing against kids from another HS across town. Most of them just love to play football, and love playing on the team. It is fun to watch and the quality of play can be shockingly high.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
JJG

10,643 posts, read 10,182,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Also at the other end of the spectrum. In two weeks I'll be in Oklahoma where the town is so small they play 8 man football.

There, you can back your SUV or pick up right up to the field and tail gate while you watch football under the lights with all the bugs...LOL

Just like in this Kenny Chesney song. The only diner in town, tapes all the news articles about the team behind the cash register.

My kids from Texas love it.
We have six-man here.

And in my last year in college, I worked in a grocery store in a town with less than 4,000. Needless to say, Friday nights and Saturday mornings were nothing but "Go DAWGS!!!" (Waller Bulldogs).

And again, this is a town with less than 4,000.... but here's their football stadium:

It's not $60 million, but it's also better than the FCS university just a couple miles away....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas