U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM

16 posts, read 34,624 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles and have 3 biracial kids and am considering moving to Texas so increase our quality of life.However it is the south and we all know its history so I was wondering what life has been like for any biracial kids growing up in Texas. Have you delt with any racism have ever felt picked on because of who you are etc.
Thank You

Last edited by mxj9797; 10-05-2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

3,589 posts, read 398,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxj9797 View Post
I live in Los Angeles and have 3 biracial kids and am considering moving to Texas so increase our quality of life.However it is the south and we all know its history so I was wondering what life has been like for any biracial kids growing up in Texas. Have you delt with any racism have ever felt picked on because of who you are etc.
Thank You
So you think Texas is MORE racist than LA?

Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM

483 posts, read 1,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxj9797 View Post
Thank You
You know what you've been taught about history.
Often, that has little to do with what actually happened, and a lot to do with
the prejudices of those who write the books and make the movies.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,541,511 times
"However it is the south and we all know its history..."

You do know this remark is insulting, right? If you've filled your kids' minds with things like this, then I'm afraid y'all won't be happy in Texas -- and it won't have much to do with Texans or "the South."

Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM

3,589 posts, read 398,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
"However it is the south and we all know its history..."

You do know this remark is insulting, right? If you've filled your kids' minds with things like this, then I'm afraid y'all won't be happy in Texas -- and it won't have much to do with Texans or "the South."
Good point. If she comes here expecting to be offended, she'll be offended. If she's that dainty, she should probably stay out of shoot-from-the-hip Texas. We're not really racist here, but we're pretty blunt.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,602,586 times
I live in Houston. It's about the least racist place in the country. I am in an interracial marriage (I'm a white guy, wife is Mexican-American) and nobody really seems to care. I wouldn't lump Texas with the south. This isn't Mississippi. Texas is Texas. People might care about being in an interracial relationship in a small town in Texas, but I would say that's pretty much true in small town anywhere.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 PM

512 posts, read 506,563 times
As a native Northerner and someone who hasn't been exactly welcomed in a small town in NE Texas the six years I've been here, I have to say, you are not winning over any friends by your comments. I understand and can apprecaite your bluntness, but when you see people on these boards get upset when people stereotype Texas, there's a good reason. You're stereotyping Texans the same way you're not wanting to be stereotyped. If you don't want to be judged based on your own choices, prepare yourself not to judge others based on where they live or how they've been raised.

I will tell you, DON'T move to a small town. You would think they are racist, but that's because you wouldn't understand their fierce loyalty to each other, especially when it comes to an outsider. From my experience, NE Texas is far less racist than the area I grew up in, which is north of the Mason Dixon line. In fact, me being of a different Christian denomination than the vast majority, I'm more judged than a black or hispanic person, but that's okay, because the longer I'm here, the more people open up to me and understand I'm really no different. You see, instead of calling people racist and automatically believing them to be wrong in there opinion (okay, maybe I think this to myself sometimes ) I let them see who I am over time, let them see I'm a trustworthy, dependable, intelligent, decent person, and my husband and I are teaching our children to act the same, therefore they are learning life lessons about not judging people and learning to work with and through adversity. The people of this town are learning that not all us Damn Yankees are bad, so everybody wins!

If you're planning on moving here for a better quality of life, be prepared to open YOUR mind first. Yes, there will be a huge culture shock, but if you're strong enough to move away from your life in LA, you're strong enough to take it on the chin. Just remember to keep your own mind open.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with a person being wary of someone else because they're different. It's when they take it to an extreme, whether verbal or non-verbal, blunt or passive-agressive, that makes it wrong.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM

2,640 posts, read 315,764 times
Texas is full of bi-racial kids and I haven't seen anything racist regarding such. I work for the Texas school system.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Texas is full of bi-racial kids and I haven't seen anything racist regarding such. I work for the Texas school system.
Yes, I'm not biracial, but I've never been the target of any type of direct racism in all my years in this state.

There are ignorant and mean people all over this country and biracial children get picked on everywhere. What needs to happen is people need to abandon their ideas of the racist South. The year is 2007, people. Let it go.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,939,677 times
Because as pp said, some are still being fed out-of-date misconceptions and myths about the South. There are racists everywhere and maybe it was more apparent in the South but that was long ago. Yes, Texas was a member of the Confederacy and during the Civil War was thought every bit a part of the South as other Southern states but the only active plantations anymore in this state have been turned into bed and breakfasts inns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas