U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Houston
1,473 posts, read 832,157 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Go Cowboys!! Go Texans!! Lets all meet up in New Orleans.
"A All Texan super bowl, do I dare dream " Hank Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,246 posts, read 12,354,858 times
Reputation: 4688
If the NY Times & Time Magazine writes articles about the rivalry between Dallas & Houston that should indeed confirm a rivalry does exists & is even recognized by many outside of the Lone Star State.

These article were written back in the 1980's & still hold some truth today.

Houston vs. Dallas: A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - New York Times

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,567 posts, read 4,547,109 times
Reputation: 4115
If the NYTimes and Time Mag were writing fictional stories about Dallas and Houston I would suspect they're making up garbage to increase sales to an otherwise bored audience. What do New Yorkers care about Dallas and/or Houston? As in, what do the NYTimes and Time mag know about Dallas and Houston that Texans don't already know? Answer: With better things to do, they don't really care what the other city is up to, or being written about by some useless rag a thousand miles away.

Notoriety belongs to those who seek it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
 
2,998 posts, read 1,535,044 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Houston and Dallas have long been at odds sometimes in a friendly nature sometimes flat out hostile. It then occurred to me that it is not born out of any real bad blood rather a common goal..to be the primer city of that state. If you look at it every state has there city that is king of the hill with out a doubt. Ny has nyc...pa has philly..CAli is L..A ..and so on. Texas has yet to crown a undisputed king..and maybe that not such a bad thing rigjt now
Of course, there's normal rivalry between the ball teams. And, there's some good natured jokes or rubs sometimes. But, for the most part I don't see any huge rivalry. Too many people transfer and move between the two cities, have friends and relatives in both cities, etc.. People in SA and Austin might have something to say about the undisputed king thing. Outside of this forum, I never see or hear anything about it.

Oh and Matt, you have got to be kidding, the NYT is not a reliable source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,246 posts, read 12,354,858 times
Reputation: 4688
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
If the NYTimes and Time Mag were writing fictional stories about Dallas and Houston I would suspect they're making up garbage to increase sales to an otherwise bored audience. What do New Yorkers care about Dallas and/or Houston? As in, what do the NYTimes and Time mag know about Dallas and Houston that Texans don't already know? Answer: With better things to do, they don't really care what the other city is up to, or being written about by some useless rag a thousand miles away.

Notoriety belongs to those who seek it.
DeNile isn't just a river in Egypt either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,200 posts, read 711,984 times
Reputation: 1430
Houston is Dallas's top travel destination and Dallas is Houston's.

Where do Texans like to travel? Texas! - USATODAY.com

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-06-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,200 posts, read 711,984 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
DeNile isn't just a river in Egypt either...
You don't live in either city. How would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,473 posts, read 832,157 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Of course, there's normal rivalry between the ball teams. And, there's some good natured jokes or rubs sometimes. But, for the most part I don't see any huge rivalry. Too many people transfer and move between the two cities, have friends and relatives in both cities, etc.. People in SA and Austin might have something to say about the undisputed king thing. Outside of this forum, I never see or hear anything about it.

Oh and Matt, you have got to be kidding, the NYT is not a reliable source.
I think is a a mistake for ither city to sleep on those two as well, in the past decade there profiles have raisen as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,246 posts, read 12,354,858 times
Reputation: 4688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
You don't live in either city. How would you know?
Lived in both cities...Dallas for 3 years & Houston for 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,456,038 times
Reputation: 6637
There is no real rivilary between Dallas and Houston outside of sports. You'e not going to get shot or beat in either city because you're from the other. This is not bloods vs crips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top