Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
WOW, thats a first!

Houston is about as integrated as they come.

It was recently ranked as THE most diverse city in the US.

I've had people from NYC who moved to Houston tell me how amazed at how diverse it is.
While I'm not saying that Houston is the most segregated, it does have that problem, as do many cities. Remember, diversity does not equal integration. They aren't the same things. The most diverse city in the world could also be the most segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
I guess I don't understand why people get upset at "segregation" these days.

If there is segregation now, it's largely self-segregation, since any race can live wherever they can afford it.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I guess I don't understand why people get upset at "segregation" these days.

If there is segregation now, it's largely self-segregation, since any race can live wherever they can afford it.
When segregation is mentioned in CD, it is usually in reference to this, just to let you know.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
When segregation is mentioned in CD, it is usually in reference to this, just to let you know.
Yes, I know...and that's why I don't understand why people get upset about it!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Simply put, it's not okay to only want to live around people of your own race.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM

For me, I don't care about racial composition. If I like somewhere, you'll never hear me talking race as a reason I like it. If you are moving somewhere to be with your own race/ its a significant factor, there's a word for that: racism.

However, the places I tend to like are diverse.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
For me, I don't care about racial composition. If I like somewhere, you'll never hear me talking race as a reason I like it. If you are moving somewhere to be with your own race/ its a significant factor, there's a word for that: racism.

However, the places I tend to like are diverse.
There's a difference between wanting to be around only your race and simply wanting to be around many folks of your race and/or culture. The latter is a very natural desire. People like to be around other people they'll likely have a lot in common with, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
One of my best friends is from Belize and her SO is white. It doesn't matter where you live, this is America home of the free. They live in a fairly liberal town but still run into an occasional bigot. Just find a place that you can't live without and the rest will take care of itself. Love is love and should be respected as such.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
When I was, in TX, we felt most comfortable in the Plano/Frisco/Allen area. Worst was Dallas and mainly from the Black community although the blue bloods of old Dallas were not very friendly to her even though she was an Ivy Doctor. Ironically, my redneck friends and their wives accepted her the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
WOW, thats a first!

Houston is about as integrated as they come.

It was recently ranked as THE most diverse city in the US.

I've had people from NYC who moved to Houston tell me how amazed at how diverse it is.
Houston is much more segregated than the Dallas area.

To me, diversity is mixed couples and kids and other couples all shopping, eating, and doing couple things in public together. Not enclaves of one race or another.

The most diverse areas are Northern Dallas and the Northern Suburbs Just go to the IHOP off 121 near Preston in Frisco. Or drop in to the newer Churches along 121. Or visit workplaces.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Houston is much more segregated than the Dallas area.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Houston:
http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...al-graphic.jpg

Dallas:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/...9948fd2f77.jpg

Nothing in Dallas beats Southwest Houston, when it comes to diversity and integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas