Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecis View Post
Roughneck welder = take some time off when you need it (even during the day), have your wife caring for your child and making sure it will grow up properly during the first 4 (important) years.
Even so, there are many people who are not cut out to be roughnecks. For instance, me. This is how I've been described: Booksmart, but lacking common sense and being absent-minded. To be honest, it's kind of tru. I don't like being described as absent-minded, but it's sort of true. I need a profession that would suit me. I've worked in a kitchen before, doing work at the equivalent of flipping burgers. I either burned food or undercooked it a few times.

If I worked on the oil patch as a roughneck, I might get hurt or get someone else hurt. Not only that, I have back problems, so I might screw up my back. I tried joining the Air Force. I thought "I'll probably be in a plane half of the time, no biggie". I was turned down. Reason. The recruiter found out I had broken my spine and had surgery on it. It didn't matter that I could walk, and even run for 2 miles. I was told that as someone with a previous severe back injury, I would be a liability to the Air Force before the G Force from the plane, and the amount of stuff being carried on my back. I am thinking any kind of physical roughneck work might be more dangerous.

I have a degree in Geography, and need a job that would allow me to use my skills as a cartographer or geographer of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 40,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Colleges also save a lot of money thanks to the internet, which they didn't have before 95 or so.
Why didn't tuition go down after they got internet and its benefits?
Having to keep the computer labs and software up to date is a big expense for colleges these days. Plus it requires people to maintain, setup and do the websites that are now required for them because of the internet.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You have a degree in Geography? So do I. What kind of job do you have? I'm currently unemployed at the moment.
I've had two jobs in GIS. One in remote sensing and the other in transportation planning. Get in a GIS certificate program or you can even teach yourself. If you got your degree recently they should have at least offered basic and advanced GIS courses.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker2012 View Post
Having to keep the computer labs and software up to date is a big expense for colleges these days. Plus it requires people to maintain, setup and do the websites that are now required for them because of the internet.
Is this a joke?
I guarantee colleges get huge discounts to promote softwares.
Whatever software students learn in college, that's what they are going to want to use once they become part of the labor force = Money for software maker for many years.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I've had two jobs in GIS. One in remote sensing and the other in transportation planning. Get in a GIS certificate program or you can even teach yourself. If you got your degree recently they should have at least offered basic and advanced GIS courses.
I took some GIS courses in college. I have knowledge of GIS.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecis View Post
I found a nice article about what is really going wrong with "education".

And yes, I also believe the term "overeducated" excists, since too many people are just becoming school clever but not street smart any longer.

The Government Is Selling You A Lie About College Education - Business Insider
I'm an electrical engineer and work in a big factory.
I'd say that 30% of the people in the factory are "highly educated" and 70% are workers without college degrees.
I have to work with everybody and treat everybody the same.

You have NO IDEA how many of them tell me how much they regret not going to college, and they swear that they are gonna make sure that their kids go to college.

Those kids might end up being janitors, but when an opportunity shows up, they are gonna have that degree in their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas