U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,446,606 times
Texans are CLANNISH, if nothing else. Why is nobody mentioning that?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 PM

294 posts, read 277,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Oh ya, Lots of bugs and spiders. I couldn't believe the difference between Ca and Tx. So yes, lots of bugs in Texas!!!
absolutley...
my latest adventure has been with scorpions
i dont mind em, but the wife hates em

Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,899,610 times
Oh, I hate scorpions, they scare me! Years ago I was sitting on the living room floor watching tv when I happened to look behind me and there was one coming toward me!!

I love the sound of the locusts in the trees in the summer but it's not fun if one latches onto your screen window if a tree is too close to an upper window! Scared the crap outta me, they are LOUD!! There's another name for them, begins with a "c". I can never remember it or pronounce it correctly. Most people I know just call them locusts.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM

415 posts, read 1,157,924 times
Cicadas?

The first C is pronounced as an S, but the second is pronounced as a K.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,899,610 times
Yes, that's it! Thanks CallMeLaura!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM

512 posts, read 496,989 times
Yes, it's cicadas (not sure of the spelling, though )

Growing up, we used to go around in the morning and pull their shells off the tree trunks. They are loud, but it's one of those blessed sounds of summer.

Scorpions give me the chills. Our house had just been built and sat for a while before we moved in, and I bet in four months time we either killed our found dead fifty. They dwell in wood and sand, and our house was heaven to them. Shortly after we moved here, my daughter was coming out of her room and started screaming bloody murder. Then she said, "It's a lobster bug, Mommy!" My husband loves to play with them. He's such a kid.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,859,094 times
Quote:
Texans are CLANNISH, if nothing else. Why is nobody mentioning that?
I lived in a part of old Florida and found that to be clannish due to they wanted to KNOW who we were and used the school to run a extensive background check on me where I had to go to the administration office and had mug shots taken and finger prints. This was all due to me hiring a maid which I don't want to get into...
I also found other situations cliquish... It really annoyed me..

There are groups of people here but it wasn't like where I lived prior. Infact someone not too long ago told me they didn't like how neighbors and families didn't seemed so connected one to another... I agree a little but not completely here.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,527,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Oh, I hate scorpions, they scare me! Years ago I was sitting on the living room floor watching tv when I happened to look behind me and there was one coming toward me!!

I love the sound of the locusts in the trees in the summer but it's not fun if one latches onto your screen window if a tree is too close to an upper window! Scared the crap outta me, they are LOUD!! There's another name for them, begins with a "c". I can never remember it or pronounce it correctly. Most people I know just call them locusts.

As kids, we used to tie string around the cicadas and fly them around in circles. We also used to catch horny toads and make them little homes in cigar boxes (little grass, twigs) and we'd tie string around their necks and take them for walks, gave each one of them a name. At night we take mason jars and catch as many lighting bugs and we could. The more you caught, the brighter your "lantern" was. When we made homemade ice cream outside on summer nights, after everyone had eaten and the grownups sat around talking, us kids would go around catching toad frogs and see how many we could get in a #3 washtub. Such fun. Rarely see horny toads anymore and not too many lightening bugs anymore.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,256,933 times
Where are the horny toads now? We used to see them often as kids in Abilene. Are they an endangered species now, and think I heard is against the law to catch them anymore?

OMG, the scorpions!! I had a house by a ravine in WF, and they were everywhere, would get under the stairwell and in the bathroom. Found one in my teacup once! My cat liked to bat them around a bit, until I could get them out the door. We made a good team!

I do not like the cicadas or noise they make. One stuck to me as a child, and have been very frightened of them since! Same with those huge water bugs, they will actually fly right at you! Then there are those HUGE dragonfly looking creatures, ugh! We sure have our share of critters here!!

Never saw too many fireflies except in East Texas. We visited Georgia for a few months and they are in abundance there!! Maybe they like the humidity?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,527,756 times
[quote=lilypad;1745367]Where are the horny toads now? We used to see them often as kids in Abilene. Are they an endangered species now, and think I heard is against the law to catch them anymore?

I heard they're becoming more and more extinct due to all the pesticides that are used now.

My aunt and uncle owned a motel in Arlington and I will never forget the guest from Chicago who was standing outside his room one day playing with a scorpion he had in a water glass. He literally had his finger in the glass with the scorpion making it go round and round. Of course, we're like, oh my God, get your finger out, it will sting you and hurt so bad. He was a very lucky person that scorpion didn't get him.

I don't know about the humidity and lighting bugs. We seem to have more humdity now than when I was a kid. Again, maybe something to do wth pesticides or just too much humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas