Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM

26 posts, read 60,680 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating this December with a degree in Accounting. The usual path into the profession is to work at an auditing firm. However, due to me goofing off in school I have a 2.9 GPA. I haven't been able to get an interview with a firm with a GPA that low.

That may not matter though because I have an interview for an auditor position with the Comptroller's office. My questions would be:

* Have you worked there? If so, how is it?

* Would my skills acquired in that role be useful for anything other than working for the IRS? e.g. working in industry as a controller or possible working for an accounting firm?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM

308 posts, read 637,782 times
I assume as a sales tax auditor? It's good solid experience that is certainly transferable to industry of an accounting or consulting firm. Many people work there for 3 - 5 years and then on to consulting firms. The benefits are outstanding and there will be time for you to get your MSA so you can sit for your CPA.

Your post comes off as a little patronizing. Do you think only low GPA graduates work for the comptrollers office? Do you think it's less of a job than others? I sure as heck wouldn't go into the interview with that attitude. Those auditors start off at around 50k with unbelievable benefits. You'll have a lot more competition for the job than you think.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,698 times
I work as an auditor for OIG, but I have several colleagues who have experience working for the the Comptroller's office where they worked as a sales tax auditor.

One of them has moved on to a management position. Another has been able to manuever around the private industry with several generous offers.

So to answer your question, no, you won't have to default to an IRS job.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
I assume as a sales tax auditor? It's good solid experience that is certainly transferable to industry of an accounting or consulting firm. Many people work there for 3 - 5 years and then on to consulting firms. The benefits are outstanding and there will be time for you to get your MSA so you can sit for your CPA.

Your post comes off as a little patronizing. Do you think only low GPA graduates work for the comptrollers office? Do you think it's less of a job than others? I sure as heck wouldn't go into the interview with that attitude. Those auditors start off at around 50k with unbelievable benefits. You'll have a lot more competition for the job than you think.
Re-reading my post I can see where you can get that impression and I'm really sorry if it came off that way, I honestly didn't mean it. I've just been incredibly frustrated by my GPA (I know my fault, that's what makes it worse) and they don't take resumes so I'm assuming everything is based off of their interview. I always heard that people don't hire from government jobs because they're assumed to be lazy which I'm sure is false in this case. I was skimming the audit manuals and it is a lot of work auditing taxes.

edit: also I was just pointing out that my GPA is preventing me from taking the "usual" path into accounting. Well, the one most of my classmates are taking and the one the teacher's are prescribing. Not that I care, or that it's useful information

Yeah honestly the benefits have me very excited. 100% individual healthcare is really nice for starters

Did you work for the comptroller's office? If so, do you have any tips about the interview? I've read that it helps to read the audit manuals but I don't know to what extent. Are they just expecting me to know basically what the CPA is actually auditing?

Hearing y'all say that it provides useful skills for the private sector (not that I'd want to, but it's nice to have options) is very encouraging

Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM

62 posts, read 118,742 times
Hey, I've been an on-occasion reader of City Data for a while now but I finally broke down and registered when I saw this as I thought I could add my $.02 that may help.

My girlfriend presently works for the Comptroller in a payroll/accounting position, and I work for the State's HHS enterprise. Of the two of us, she is paid considerably more (I am an accountant I, which is much more entry level), but that's largely due to her being able to interview/accept a more important position. Just for comparisons' sake for you, she had a 3.2 (I believe) GPA but majored in finance (and has very little passion for accounting). I graduated with a 3.6 but I also majored in education. There's a number of people in my department don't hold degrees, and I'll address this momentarily.

I would say you probably have a good shot at getting an interview, BUT as another poster pointed out, you're up against a huge number of applicants. The hardest part of working for any state agency is getting in the door itself due to this as you must keep in mind how many people live in this state to begin with. Since I've been working for the state for the past 16 months or so, I've only successfully landed ONE further interview within state agencies (out of several dozen applications). It's kind of like it's competitive in a non-competitive atmosphere, because other than the great benefits like insurance and time-off, it is pretty bare bones working for the state with little promotion/leverage once you're in.

As I mentioned earlier, degrees/what you specifically studied/your GPA are kind of fickle for state government. There's been many people who have become full-time employees through first filling temporary positions through local staffing services (Peak Performers, Manpower, K-Force, and several others would be good to look into). After they've become known as a reliable presence in a temporary role, they obviously have a significant leg-up when their respective office has it in their budget to bring someone in on a full-time, salaried basis.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 PM

well, the position I applied for is Auditor I. Entry level and you have to have an accounting degree to be qualified. Well, technically not, but with the amount of acct classes it requires, you probably have an accounting degree.

My problem, is that I don't know to what extent of these auditing manuals I'm expected to know for the interview

Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,698 times
You should familiarize yourself with GAGAS. I am currently an Auditor IV, but started at the Auditor III position, and when I started, I was given a copy of the yellow book and was told to learn it like the back of my hand. You might want to briefly review GAAS, as well.

Also, Leita Hart-Fanta was a tenured auditor for the SAO, and she went on to become a consultant. She conducts many seminars for auditors. You might be able to find some government auditing information. CPAs and auditors continuing professional education | CPE for CPAs | Training, Workshop, Seminars

And if you haven't already, learn everything about the Comptroller's office through their website - their vision, their plan, etc.

HTH

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Well, I just received an email today informing me that I got an interview later this month, with a call coming in the next couple days to schedule it.

I've been reading the "Audit Fundamentals" manual on the Comptroller's website. I *think* that's what the recruiting lady was hinting at me reading. Also brushing up on my accounting fundamentals.

I really hope I can get this job

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM

308 posts, read 637,782 times
Good luck to you. My understanding is that the initial interview is a highly structured series of questions. You answer those correctly and you move on to the next step. I don't know about the Audit Fundamentals manual but I'll ask.

I do not work for the Comptrollers office but my daughter was hired in the same position as you are applying. She's been there about three years now and does really like the work. Not sure if her long term plans are to stay at the state but she's doing well and enjoying it. One of the best perks for her is that they let her work from home a few days a week. My understanding is that if you get "outstanding" evaluations they allow this.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
Good luck to you. My understanding is that the initial interview is a highly structured series of questions. You answer those correctly and you move on to the next step. I don't know about the Audit Fundamentals manual but I'll ask.

I do not work for the Comptrollers office but my daughter was hired in the same position as you are applying. She's been there about three years now and does really like the work. Not sure if her long term plans are to stay at the state but she's doing well and enjoying it. One of the best perks for her is that they let her work from home a few days a week. My understanding is that if you get "outstanding" evaluations they allow this.
Oh wow! That would be great if she could tell me what kind of questions are on that evaluation. Or what would be a good idea for me to study. I'm nervous about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: