Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

UT researchers say Lone Star twang is fading

Quote:
DALLAS (AP) - Do you talk Texan?

Say these sentences: "I pulled open a drawer to find a banana. Then, I peeled it."

Did your "pull" have an "oooh sound, as in pool? Did your "peel" come out more like pill?
Moderator cut: Copyright violation

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted material requires snippet (2-3 sentences) of article quoted only per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I have noticed this and it makes me sad.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Meh, count me in as an native without the Texas accent. I'm glad I don't have one, but to each their own.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times
and it was stated in the report that students and professionals avoid/minimize speaking with the southern accent in school/at work. which lends credence to a study i've encountered before where people who speak english in neutral or more british accent tend to be regarded as more smart/knowledgeable.

where i work, it does appear to be like that, especially with how the patients perceive the staff. the flip side though is that the patients perceive staff who speak with southern accent to be warmer, more approachable.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Meh, count me in as an native without the Texas accent. I'm glad I don't have one, but to each their own.
TOO BAD!!! I love my accent

Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I think this also but then I get around others that say "You sure talk funny". Mr. UT Researcher Lars Hinrichs, probably talks funny from Minnesota and would not recognize a good TX accent. He just needs to get out of Austin and hang around Ft Worth, Lufkin, Midland, Lubbock, San Angelo or Amarillo.

I'm proud of my Fot Wurth accent but try to not use "Fixin To" around outsiders.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
What I fight the most is saying "Ah" for "I"...when it should be more like "eye."

"Fixin to" and "y'all"....afraid I'm doomed to say those forever, no matter where I live!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I had my TV on earlier this morning and caught a bit of an ad on NBC for a story they are doing on this very subject. I didn't catch which show or day it would be on though.

I don't know if I have a Texas accent or not. Maybe a little bit. While living in Midland, I was told by a man who worked in my building that from my accent, he could tell I was from the East. I told him I was. I was from Dallas. He told me he meant a lot further east, as in the east coast. I almost cried. I have, however been told that my accent really comes out when I get really angry or excited. Even some of my neighbors here in Oklahoma said they could tell I was from Texas by my accent. I found that really funny because to me, they sound just like I do.

My hubby, he's got a little bit of one, but not a strong one. My older son, yes, he does have a bit of one, but he was raised much of his life in Midland, where there's still more accent than in some of the larger cities. My younger son, no. I can't really hear much of a Texas accent. His sounds more generally Southern, but that could have to do with the fact that he goes to college in the South. He seemed to pick up that accent really quickly. Every time he's come home, I've heard not only the southern accent, but also phrases.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What I fight the most is saying "Ah" for "I"...when it should be more like "eye."

"Fixin to" and "y'all"....afraid I'm doomed to say those forever, no matter where I live!

Oh same here. I've tried so hard to not use "fixin to" and "y'all", especially when around people from other regions, but I just can't shake it. It's in my DNA.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
[/b] Oh same here. I've tried so hard to not use "fixin to" and "y'all", especially when around people from other regions, but I just can't shake it. It's in my DNA.
LOL!! I know what you mean. It's hard to break!

I was once asked if I were from the Midwest.......

On the other hand, a guy held the door for me at the post office (southern NM, yet) one day, and I said, "Thank you kindly, much appreciated."

He looked at me and said, "What part of Texas are you from?"

Did he get that from the accent per se, or the politeness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas