Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

I would say Houston is more Southern than Dallas if that is what you are worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
If Southern means green grass and trees in humidity vs. dry Oklahoma-like plains, I agree.

If Southern means international as well as 37% Hispanic I really must have missed something.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Actually, more outsiders are going to Houston. Houston is not very Southern at all. Its population resembles more Chicago or New York as it is extremely diverse. And Houston is what you make it. Dallas is not. Dallas is Texas. And in my experience most people from cities up North would prefer Houston because of this fact.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
lack of hurricane scares (after all, they saw the tv and the 3MM people running away from the hurricanes last year);
That should stop people from moving to New York. The "big one" will wipe out Long Island, the City, and New Jersey. The Hudson will back up because of the storm surge. I'd like to watch the river valley flood from the hills. I wonder if the Tappan Zee Bridge will collapse under all that force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Actually, more outsiders are going to Houston. Houston is not very Southern at all. Its population resembles more Chicago or New York as it is extremely diverse. And Houston is what you make it. Dallas is not. Dallas is Texas. And in my experience most people from cities up North would prefer Houston because of this fact.
Why do you think our most famous resident is from a Connecticut suburb of New York City? I saw alot of plates from Illinois and some frames from DFW suburbs.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I am going to venture a guess as to why out-of-Staters are moving to DFW: No Katrina victims there; cooler weather most of the year; lack of hurricane scares (after all, they saw the tv and the 3MM people running away from the hurricanes last year); cleaner, newer and shinier areas; DFW has a lack of humidity compared to Houston. Just a guess...but I bet I am pretty right on.
We did have several thousand Katrina evacuees get bussed to DFW. 20,000 if I'm not mistaken. As far as how many of them are still here, I don't know. No, no hurricanes up this far but we get the tornado/thunderstorms pretty frequently and extreme. We have 5 months of hot weather with some of that time being humid but of course it's not as humid as Houston. Cleaner, newer and shinier, yes. Although, some people on other areas of this board seem to see that as a minus, saying there is no character and history here. There is plenty of that, just in a different way!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Houston had something like 250,000 Katrina victims bussed in, didn't it?
Regardless, DFW is just different than Houston, I agree....more TEXAN in nature. Houston is more diverse, and, yes, being originally from the North, I agree, probably more comfortable for Midwesterners and those from the Atlantic coast. Houston is just more diverse. Not everyone gets off to the cowboy or chi-chi Dallas pretentiousness.
However, I think more retirees are going to Austin.
If I were young and job hunting, it would be a tossup for me: DFW or Houston. Never Austin or SA. Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:09 PM

I lived in Houston years ago but just for a few months. Too humid and too big. It wasn't why I left, though. I like it but just for visits. Yes, that 250,000 number is about right! Dang, that is such a huge number of people all at once even for a large city. Although a big city like Houston is able to absorb them better. If I were younger I think Austin would interest me more but there are more job opportunities in DFW.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
I wouldn't go far enough to say it was more diverse. Maybe in the perspective of Asians, but thats just about it. Dallas had its fair share of Katrina victims, whats the worst is that they shipped all the stupid people here(meaning Texas), MOST of the smart ones will go back, but the stupid ones will stay. I know Katrina victims, actually many of them quiet intelligent. Dallas is more conservative, but i think that is changing. I have a national geographic world atlas, it breaks down major religions by county in the US part. you can obviously tell where the bible belt is, Dallas is there, but according to the book which is from is from this year (the religions are 2000 estimates though) Dallas county is primarily Catholic(its like an oasis because all the counties surrounding it are baptist). Houston is pretty much excluded from the belt, being mostly catholic... but the bible belt goes straight through northern Texas and enters New Mexico. Dallas is getting more diverse, being to the border we tend to have more illegals, and many Asians(primarily Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Filipinos... but probably Khmers, Laotians as well) are aiming to DFW and Houston because California is too expensive and Texas is probably there 2nd-5th choice. Many people especially Californians complain about both Dallas and Houston. (Dallas because of the no ocean and Houston because of the humidity) So maybe Dallas is getting more for the reason that we only have to worry about tornadoes as a natural disaster. while Houston has tsunamis(especially with 'global warming'), hurricanes, and tornadoes (which are produced with hurricanes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
People tend to think Dallas is an all white city... get that out of your heads! that was 10 years ago! Dallas is minority Majority already. while admittedly not being diverse as Houston, i would not go far and say 'Dallas is Texas'.

Last edited by CMDallas; 10-10-2007 at 03:23 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM

So we're the lucky ones in DFW, huh?

Arlington has a Vietnamese population. I worked with a Vietnamese girl. She was a baby when her family escaped Vietnam in the 70's which is when alot of them started coming here. She had a Texas accent being as she was here so young. I liked her alot. In the part of Dallas where I work now, on the west side of 35 there are alot of Korean businesses. I sampled one of the restaurants once, different but not bad at all!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Dallas is primarily Catholic? That's new one on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas