Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

738 posts, read 763,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaToTexas View Post
Wow, well I certainly won't take any of Sharingan99's advice. It sounds to me like he just has problems. And who wants a man who doesn't fish? Ha! ha! Personally, I'm looking for one that can skin a buck, so I may just fit right in.

I am considering making a trip for a job interview in the Port Arthur area. I want to live near the gulf. I found the same job I am doing now down there. I have been wanting to move to Texas for a very long time. I have been to San Antonio, Hill country, etc. and I loved Corpus Christi the most out of those. However, I have not been to Houston or NE of there.

Can anyone help me? Where to stay? other jobs, or car rental companies?
I'd try and find something in Corpus. Workintexas.com if you haven't discovered it yet. Beaumont/PA is very different from Corpus. Case in point Orange has an ongoing spat where a confederate group are erecting a confederate monument on MLK blvd. and I-10. Corpus desegregated public places in the 50's from the mayor just personally calling all the business owners and convincing them to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I'm still trying to figure out why you moved to SE Texas in the first place and why you haven't moved away from there by now. Just move if you don't like it. You'll be doing yourself and apparently others a big favor.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 430 times
I reckon there's a reason behind Beaumont being hand in hand as the least educated city in America and the most violent in Texas. Plenty of smart folks down in the refineries, but those gangbangers way outnumber y'all.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:18 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm a Black person from the Deep South who has heard passed/on/away all being used interchangeably my entire life, and your post is the first time I've ever read that one or the other is typically associated with our dialect.

Also, I saw nothing in your comments that would suggest you are a racist; just ill-informed.
I just saw this response. This is my personal experience as a very "Senior" citizen of the South, at least the very Southern experience of East Texas. Everywhere I heard black people say, for example, "Oh, Sally she passed last month." No, repeat no white people said passed, passed away, passed on, died. We as kids 70 years ago, though, thought this was at least, different. Now, please no racist stuff, my best friend at age 17 was a black friend.

My point only, that Obama made a point to START using this term, passed. IMHO, he wanted to make sure everyone KNEW he was indeed "one of them". Where he was "said" to be brought up, lived as a young person, people did not use this term. I heard him give his Keynote Speech at the Democratic Convention five-plus years before he ran for president. I was so impressed at that moment, I said he will run for president. I thought he would have to wait for Hillary's turn or term first, was I ever wrong, you think? I voted for him, largely to help race relations, he disappointed me beyond belief, he alone, brought America almost back to the early 1960s at the point we were in as a country in race relations at that time. Yes off subject, but what Obama did to America in general, haunts me even today. Lastly, America is still very much paying the price for his leadership (damage) TODAY.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 12-10-2019 at 10:31 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 09:13 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
*shrug* I have no idea where I first heard 'passed', but I think pretty much my whole life. My dad was from coastal Texas and he used the term. I am not sure if my mom used that explicit term or not, but mainly because I have heard it so commonly used my whole life, mainly in coastal and central Texas. At no time have I ever thought about it as a racially related word or phrase.

As of last night, someone asked me about my dad and I am pretty sure I replied that he passed away in 2015.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
*shrug* I have no idea where I first heard 'passed', but I think pretty much my whole life. My dad was from coastal Texas and he used the term. I am not sure if my mom used that explicit term or not, but mainly because I have heard it so commonly used my whole life, mainly in coastal and central Texas. At no time have I ever thought about it as a racially related word or phrase.

As of last night, someone asked me about my dad and I am pretty sure I replied that he passed away in 2015.
Ok, I respect your experience, but I NEVER heard it used until the Obama Administration, used, nationally first out of his mouth. I would bet a "whole dollar", he started this use nationally. I heard a first cousin-in-law, use the term, her husband, my cousin, never used, doesn't use just "passed". I asked my cousin-in-law when she starting using this "passed" she is 65, she responded, oh, about 10 years ago, maybe, I just heard in the national news, and figured it was the shortened more "today" synonym. Her degree was Journalism, so she is pretty sensitive to what is "current", and maybe a little p.c. at that, lol.

Oh well, unfortunately, this and prior responses are my final take on "passed". Cousins have always lived in DFW. I live 25 years in Houston, never heard this at ALL until the Obama era, again, would bet, he NEVER used that in his personal life. Reportedly, lived his younger years, growing up, in the Middle East somewhere, and Hawaii, HAWAII, they used PASSED, not. lol

Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
I am confused, perhaps...are you referring to the use of "passed" instead of "passed away"? Or are you saying both those have become popular recently?

Old 12-12-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I am confused, perhaps...are you referring to the use of "passed" instead of "passed away"? Or are you saying both those have become popular recently?
Sorry, I reread my posts, maybe they are not clear as they should have been, no the term "passed" was what I was talking about, as becoming widely used as soon as Obama was well in the political circles. Sure I can not PROVE he started the wide usage of "passed" but I heard him use this word widely.

Again, all of my experience was older black people in the early 1950s were using this term, today, to a certain extent, and since that date, this is still the case.

My point which is way off subject, and I should not have brought it up, because in fear of being called racist, which is hard to prove I'm not, but I'm not. I just felt strongly Obama, with where he was reportedly "grown-up" did not ever use the word passed but he was likely just pandering for votes, making sure one of his targeted groups would know by using passed he was truly one of them. I should just get over this, I know, but it is hard to do, anytime I see any political person so obviously pander. lol I'm finished, from my standpoint.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Quote:
Mine too and he's from Corpus- grew up there in the '40s-'60s. Much lineage from E. Tenn. I've heard it used commonly as well and never gave it a second thought.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,079 times
Default Please kindly make a list.

Can someone please kindly make a list of the reasons why the Beaumont area should be avoided?
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas