Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,689,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Just a fyi, you mentioned that you like to rely on public transportation -- this may not be your best route to take to really see Texas and the cities within. I'd suggest that you instead fly into one of our major cities, rent a car so that you can then really see and experience each one and what they have to offer and then travel by auto to the other ones rather than fly.
Oh yes!! Public transportation is literally nonexistent in many Texas cities! You really need a car here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM

507 posts, read 1,664,201 times
yeah, thanks, I almost suspected this. The idea was to hire a car and use it to go from place to place and outside the cities. I was hoping I could use public transit to move within the cities but of course once I got a car I can use it to move in the city too :-)

thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Oh yes!! Public transportation is literally nonexistent in many Texas cities! You really need a car here!

"Literally nonexistent" is a huge exaggeration. Public Transportation exists in all major Texas cities, but in some it is not as good as in others. In most cases public transportation is the most effective in the city core. In most of the city cores that the OP should try to visit, such as downtown Austin and San Antonio River Walk areas, there is lots to see and do that does not require driving to in a car, if you are staying in a hotel in one of the downtown areas.

Austin http://www.capmetro.org/

San Antonio http://www.viainfo.net/busservice/schedules.aspx

There are also bicycle rentals close to downtown Austin. Be advised that you can ride a bicycle on any sidewalk in Austin legally except for those along Congress Avenue and a block or so each side of it in the down town area.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,109,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
yeah, thanks, I almost suspected this. The idea was to hire a car and use it to go from place to place and outside the cities.
I feel sure you know this but it's not been said so I'll toss it out there.

One week is not enough time to do any major metro area justice, unless your focus is extremely limited. For someone interested in all of the cultural amenities, there is no end of things to do. I've lived in virtually every major metro area in Texas at one time or another and still never got around to seeing everything there was to see while I was living there.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM

425 posts, read 991,134 times
Fly into DFW; rent a car...

Day 1 & 2 - Ft Worth - stockyards, couple of museums (Kimball being my favorite); hit the road on the second night, drive to Austin.
Day 3 & 4 - Austin - State capital; find a cool museum venue to experience the nightlife. Hit the road on the 4th night to San Antonio
Day 5 - San Antonio - Alamo, River Walk. Hit the road, drive to Houston
Day 6 - Houston - NASA, Galveston.
Day 7 - Leave Houston early morning, arrive in Dallas - Mavs Game, Sixth Floor museum.

It's a lot of traveling, but can be done. When my parents visited us (in Fort Worth) a couple of years back, we visited Houston, San Antonio and Austin in 2 nights/3 days - they got to see a bit of each city, and had a blast; more time would have been great, but because of my husband's work commitments, we couldn't get more time off.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM

490 posts, read 648,441 times
One bit of bad news is that Dirk Nowitzki will be out at least 6 weeks so it will be a close call that he will play in the game you're going to.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,013,286 times
It's a real shame that a few are dismissing Houston considering you said you enjoy museums and galleries.... Houston has the best collection of museums in the state IMO and the Museum District is great.

You may enjoy the German culture in Fredericksburg. You should probably try to get over there too.

I don't get the Houston hate in this state, and it's usually insult and then run like the few posts in this thread. Sure, it's not quaint like Fredericksburg or having a party reputation like Austin, but neither does Dallas.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,760,342 times
Great suggestions given to you above as ALL the cities mentioned have a lot to offer and more, so here's a suggested itinerary for your trip:

Fly directly into Houston - rent a car
After Houston, travel (197 miles, 3hr drive) to San Antonio
Then to Fredericksburg TX (70 miles, 1 hr) if you have time; otherwise,
Then to Austin (80 miles from both Fredericksburg & San Antonio, 1+ hr)
Then to Fort Worth (187 miles, 3+ hr)
Then to Dallas (30 miles, 45 min)
Fly out of DFW w/car return here

Time spent at each would depend on what you're wanting to see and do!

Here is the
Texas Dept of Transportation Travel info site and its Travel Texas site that you might find useful.

You can also order a free Texas State Travel Guide packet.

Welcome to Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas