Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I'm sorry you don't like my post. I was born and raised in DFW and know it inside and out. Maybe since you're from Fort Worth you don't like Dallas.
No, it's that a few of what you mentioned doesn't even apply to Fort Worth, i.e., "mass transit light rail" (Fort Worth has NO light rail), "pretentious attitude" (Fort Worth does have some pretentious people, but that's not what the city is typically known for. That's Dallas.), "more white collar" (Fort Worth is pretty mixed in that category)....

Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You didn't mention "the Horseshoe" in downtown Dallas that will bring two more signature bridges and correct antiquated freeways starting this yea. Also, the DFW Connector may wrap up sooner than expected and open fully in 2013. I-35E Expansion that is to start this year and the current expansion projects of Central Expressway in Collin County. The expanded Bush Turnpike recently opened in 2012 Connecting the Eastern edge to I-30 and the Western/Southern Edge to I-20. The plan is for it to eventually be a full loop. There were also some major interchanges completed along The Sam Rayburn Tollway at Central Expressway and Dallas North Tollway recently.

Where did you hear that Dallas North Tollway is adding another lane on each side? That would be a mess to build South of 635 and in the North Dallas/Addison section! The city is built up all the way to the freeway edge.
You're right, I was trying to keep it short. The Tollway expansion is only in between the Sam Rayburn Tollway and George Bush Turnpike.

Exciting times for the Metroplex!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
You're right, I was trying to keep it short. The Tollway expansion is only in between the Sam Rayburn Tollway and George Bush Turnpike.

Exciting times for the Metroplex!
Nice. Didn't realize this. They are pretty much doing the same thing to Central Expressway in Collin County except the widening goes beyond Sam Rayburn through McKinney.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
No it's not. DFW has numerous billion dollar highway projects under construction or in planning. The LBJ Express, North Tarrant Express, DFW Connector, I-35W Expansion, the 27mi+ Chisholm Trail Parkway, and the approved Loop 9.

However, I am thoroughly displeased with the frequency of traffic jams on a ~15 lane highway (I'm not sure of the exact number of lanes.) The DFW Connector in the Grapevine area of DFW will have 20 lanes, which is larger than the Katy Freeway. So your comment that "Dallas is far behind Houston on highway development and HOV" is simply comical.
I'm glad I could provide some amusement for you. After all, they say laughter is good for the soul anyway.

But seriously, The projects look nice and will definitely improve the overall area. I'll probably be the first to admit that Dallas has better roads. But talking freeways, Houston comes out ahead as the way it stands now. The hub and spoke system Houston has just works better in moving the traffic in each direction.

As Dallas/Ft Worth makes infrastructure improvements to their roads, Houston is no sleeping giant. It will be making improvements to their freeways as well, For example, there's work being done on the 290 cooridor, North Loop West, and the new openings of the Grand Parkway in West Houston.

So an answer to the OP'S question, Each city is better at doing something than the other. If i were to really sum it up, i'd say this, Dallas looks better... that's where it stops as far as being better than Houston to me.

stoneclaw

Last edited by stoneclaw; 01-13-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
The way I look at it is since Houston is larger than Dallas in every way you could imagine(almost twice the size);Whenever Dallas get to be as large as houston is now it would have done a drastically better job at Everything.We will be a way better city than Houston is today.Houston dropped the ball on alot of important details in the early developing days...now they have spend decades figuring out a way to fix everything. Dallas Plans ahead and grows into its infrastructure; which manages progress and growth better IMO.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The way I look at it is since Houston is larger than Dallas in every way you could imagine(almost twice the size);Whenever Dallas get to be as large as houston is now it would have done a drastically better job at Everything.We will be a way better city than Houston is today.Houston dropped the ball on alot of important details in the early developing days...now they have spend decades figuring out a way to fix everything. Dallas Plans ahead and grows into its infrastructure; which manages progress and growth better IMO.
Very good point.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
Quote:
I agree. Houston has done a good job, I guess. I just don't like the hub and spoke system as it doesn't move traffic as well as the DFW highway layout, whatever that is.

Another interesting thing is that Houston's Loop 610 is the size of Dallas' Loop 12. Houston's Sam Houston Tollway is slightly larger than Dallas' Loop 635. Just interesting to compare. On a map, Houston's loops appear so much larger, probably because they are more square.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 49,955 times
Quote:
I guess that means The Woodlands would be a beast when it reaches 1 mill lol or any decent small city really.

Last edited by AlphaSunking; 01-13-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
I agree. Houston has done a good job, I guess. I just don't like the hub and spoke system as it doesn't move traffic as well as the DFW highway layout, whatever that is.

Another interesting thing is that Houston's Loop 610 is the size of Dallas' Loop 12. Houston's Sam Houston Tollway is slightly larger than Dallas' Loop 635. Just interesting to compare. On a map, Houston's loops appear so much larger, probably because they are more square.
No its because of spacing. Beltway 8 in Houston is equivilant to GBTP in dallas. Loop 610 is equivilant to loop 12 in Dallas. Theres not another loop in between BW8 and 610. In Dallas we have 635. So if you remove 635 and only have loop 12 and GBTP it would look large like that too.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Is dallas gonna build an unnecessary grand parkway too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas