Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,242,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Houston is an ugly mess when it comes to city planning. It's something that makes it hard for me to like Houston.

It is but its been doing alot to reshape itself.

One thing for sure, New York City is a city with urban planning and it has so many old structures, grafiti, old storefronts, and so much old housing stacked on top of eachother. Outside of downtown Manhattan, I'd hardly call it pretty either.

But Houston is the closest you're going to get to New York in the terms of culture, diversity, arts, and big city feel in Texas. It may not be a looker next to its pretty little sister to the North, but as far as personality, it beats her to a pulp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Because it is further from Fort Worth!
Actually Fort Worth is Dallas's saving grace in terms of a place having any real kind of personality and ambience in the metro area. Fort Worth actually beats Houston in this regard too, but the things I mentioned for Houston in the last paragraph makes up for it . Ft Worth may have that cowtown image that some people might snub their nose at, but at least its something it sticks its roots to.

stoneclaw

Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post

One thing for sure, New York City is a city with urban planning and it has so many old structures, grafiti, old storefronts, and so much old housing stacked on top of eachother. Outside of downtown Manhattan, I'd hardly call it pretty either.

But Houston is the closest you're going to get to New York in the terms of culture, diversity, arts, and big city feel in Texas. It may not be a looker next to its pretty little sister to the North, but as far as personality, it beats her to a pulp.

stoneclaw
Oh stonclaw gimme a break. How exactly does Houstons personality beat Dallas to a pulp?...y'all come up with anything these days.....wow!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,772,568 times
Quote:
Well, you admitted something true.

About the big city feel that Houston has "accomplished"…not everyone likes a big city feel. I think DFW feels like a smaller metro area, but with big city amenities and population. Now that 's something hard to truly accomplish.

Last edited by BCB; 01-15-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,242,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh stonclaw gimme a break. How exactly does Houstons personality beat Dallas to a pulp?...y'all come up with anything these days.....wow!!!

Ok, i'll give you one. Maybe that was a little far. The "beating Dallas to a pulp comment" would indicate that Houston is on the level of NYC, LA, or CHI in terms of personality and its not. But nonetheless, it still beats Dallas in this regard. How? The international presence here and the desegregation of it alone gives it more of an international feel. The diverse landscapes from the Piney Woods to the Gulf Coasts. The Galleria area is more Live and active. Those are just a few things.

Houston overall just has a better sense of cohesiveness and continuity in its metro, especially within the 610 Loop.

Quote:
Well, you admitted something true.

About the big city feel that Houston has "accomplished"…not everyone likes a big city feel. I think DFW feels like a smaller metro area, but with big city amenities and population.
Dallas/Ft Worth feels like an endless array of suburbs and office parks. Dallas is trying to at least present itself as a big city with the infrastructure improvements, arts, and urban planning. But seeing how Dallas's suburbs compete with Dallas, it effects the overall feel of Dallas. It will take a while for those areas to establish themselves.

stoneclaw

Last edited by stoneclaw; 01-15-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,387,972 times
Quote:
Ok, maybe that was a little too far. The "beating Dallas to a pulp comment" would indicate that Houston is on the level of NYC, LA, or CHI in terms of personality. But nonetheless, it still beats Dallas in this regard.

stoneclaw
Still a stretch...but thats better....

Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
Personally, I feel that the Gulf Coast, in general, has more history and personality than the Southern Plains. That's arguable, though. I think of cities like Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa as more "fill-in-the-blanks" type of places. Big D attempts to make up for this, though, with putting its best foot forward in being one of the BEST examples of an urban and livable Sunbelt city with world class ammenities.

Houston's natural personality, on the other hand, is accented by the occasional obnoxious "Texanisms", its lauded world class arts and dining scenes, and, unfortunately, its less sophisticated and almost rebellious approach to urban planning.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Personally, I feel that the Gulf Coast, in general, has more history and personality than the Southern Plains. That's arguable, though. I think of cities like Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa as more "fill-in-the-blanks" type of places. Big D attempts to make up for this, though, with putting its best foot forward in being one of the BEST examples of an urban and livable Sunbelt city with world class ammenities.

Houston's natural personality, on the other hand, is accented by the occasional obnoxious "Texanisms", its lauded world class arts and dining scenes, and, unfortunately, its less sophisticated and almost rebellious approach to urban planning.
Nice post, Nairobi. Cities like Dallas, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa grew as transcontinental train and cattle drive hubs.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,240,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because what you're exactly doing now if producing is terrible results. As of the 3Q of 2012 DART LRT is 1st in the nation in miles, 7th in ridership, and 19th in ridership per mile!

Per APTA:

Houston METRO: 273,800 daily riders

DART: 219,000 daily riders

Clearly... all that rail is benefiting DFW. I wouldn't recommend drinking the railroad Kool aid.

Understanding isn't your strong suit is it....

Not only does Houston have more museums... it has better museums based on attendance and endowment. Houston's 4 stadiums which host all of America's most popular pro sports (5 if you include University of Houston's new stadium) will be connected by rail in 2014. We have more and better parks. We have more and better performing arts companies. I'm sorry, this is an area where Dallas doesn't do better.
Metro's Greatest Hits - YouTube

LOL Someone had to post this classic vid.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
BCB

^ That's the essence of bad planning.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,240,616 times
Quote:
^ That's the essence of bad planning.
Couldn't find a video for Dart
I guess because our streetcars aren't running yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas