Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'Texanisms" Are Part of Your Regular Use?
"Coke" for soft-drink 29 69.05%
"Y'all" for second-person plural pronoun 38 90.48%
"Yonder" 10 23.81%
Double-Modals (i.e. "might-could", "shouldn't oughta", etc) 10 23.81%
Emphasis on first syllable to make two syllables (i.e. "IN-surance", "IN-velope", etc) 10 23.81%
Rolling R's (i.e. "warsh" for "wash",etc). 3 7.14%
"Doodlebug" for "Roly-Poly" 13 30.95%
"Cotton-Pickin Hands" (as in mild, friendly critique of manners) 4 9.52%
Tex-izz as opposed to Tex-iss, when pronouncing our state 10 23.81%
Others (please list!). 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,845,623 times

Advertisements

We still get those blue northers here in Texas.

And, if you are talking about a set of furniture, do you say "suit" or "sweet" for suite?
My Mama gave me Grandma's old bedroom suite?

Last edited by DitsyD; 11-11-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,547,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

And, if you are talking about a set of furniture, so you say "suit" or "sweet" for suite?
Good one, Ditz. I would say "suit".

Another along the sorta same lines, is how do you say "route". It is more like "root" or more like ryhmes with "out"?

Except for referring the old "Root 66"...I pretty much always go with "rout".

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good one, Ditz. I would say "suit".

Another along the sorta same lines, is how do you say "route". It is more like "root" or more like ryhmes with "out"?

Except for referring the old "Root 66"...I pretty much always go with "rout".
You've got it! The old road is "Root 66" and mail was RRD, "Rural Rout Delivery" or the bus "rout" goes by that corner.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,268,670 times
I would say sweet. Hadn't thought about it until you asked the question.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,268,670 times
I say root or rout interchangeably, it appears - and a quick google seems to indicate that Americans in general do the same, though root is more common in the Eastern part of the country and rout in the Western part of the country. However, I use rout consistently for post office addresses and bus routes and such and root for Route 66 and equivalent (actual roadways). Wonder where I learned that?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:

And, if you are talking about a set of furniture, do you say "suit" or "sweet" for suite?
Eeeeks. I can't believe I read that question wrong, DitsD. Sorry. It is "'sweet" No question. As in, we want to reserve a "sweet"

Suit? Heck, that is a "soooot case", that one takes to the "sweet"! LOL

Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Eeeeks. I can't believe I read that question wrong, DitsD. Sorry. It is "'sweet" No question. As in, we want to reserve a "sweet"

Suit? Heck, that is a "soooot case", that one takes to the "sweet"! LOL
Now see, the office is a "sweet" but the furniture is a "suit". Least ways, that's how I always heard it growing up. I loved my Grandma's bedroom "suit".

Isn't language interesting?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Now see, the office is a "sweet" but the furniture is a "suit". Least ways, that's how I always heard it growing up. I loved my Grandma's bedroom "suit".

Isn't language interesting?
Absolutely, DitzD. Gran-maws new bedroom "suit" would look good in this "sweet" we got!

Old 11-17-2016, 07:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,221,086 times
I am a native Texan and I grew up in Dallas (not a suburb).

I say "coke" for all soft drinks.
I use "y'all" confidently and correctly as the second person plural. The second person singular usage of "y'all" is a Yankee myth created to make Southerners look ignorant, and it's the guaranteed way to discriminate a real Southerner from a carpetbagger.
I never say "yonder". Not opposed to it, just don't use it.
I never use "double modal" phrases.
I emphasize - as opposed to Northern practice - the first syllable of a few words, but not many.
I don't insert Rs or remove them.
To me a doodlebug is a pill bug or roly-poly, the little crustacean that rolls up when poked. We called them that in the Stonewall Jackson playground and I will always call them that.
I have been known to say "keep your cotton-pickin' hands off that!"
"Texas" ends with a "z" sound. I have never heard anyone say it with a terminal "s" hissing sound. My wife says she hears Yankees do this often.
I occasionally use "fixin' to" but not often.
A grouping of furniture is a "suite" pronounced "sweet" not a "suit" like what you wear. That's not a Texas usage, that's just lack of knowledge about English.
I absolutely refer to that storm that blows in during the fall with a sudden dramatic drop in temperature and "interesting" wind and rain, as a "blue norther".

Refugio = "Ref - ee - rio". Actual Spanish pronunciation = "Ref - oo - hee - oh".
Palacios = "Pa - la - shus". Actual Spanish pronunciation - "Pa - la - see - ohs".
Mexia = "muh - hey - uh". Actual Spanish pronunciation = "meh - hee - ah".
Burnet = "Burn - it" with accent on first syllable.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,989,772 times
Is this thread to make Texans look like idiots and bubbas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas