Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Law Permit the Use of Deadly Force to Protect Property?
Yes, absolutely 50 74.63%
No, never 2 2.99%
Yes, however... 8 11.94%
No, but... 5 7.46%
Not sure/Undecided 1 1.49%
Deadly force is never justified under any circumstances 0 0%
Other (please explain) 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Property? No. In my eyes, deadly force is only acceptable when someone feels their safety and the safety of other people has been threatened.

If someone is out in my yard, and they're walking away with my dog, I'm not going to shoot them over it.
Couldnt disagree more. If you come to my house and take one of my dogs your not leaving without buckshot inside you.

You also realize that if you attempt to stop them when they are stealing your belongings it could go violent right? I always want the upperhand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
The lines are blurry. Someone could be on your property doing something completely harmless and you mistake them as being dangerous and shoot them. I think I'd say no. Only in house.

What if your dog got out and someone was returning it and you shoot them?? People on this board are too trigger happy.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The lines are blurry. Someone could be on your property doing something completely harmless and you mistake them as being dangerous and shoot them. I think I'd say no. Only in house.

What if your dog got out and someone was returning it and you shoot them?? People on this board are too trigger happy.
I agree. I said the exact same thing on the first page: "The lines are blurry".

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:

Only cause you bring a gun to a fight doesn't mean you go ahead and blast them. You announce yourself and any sane person would stop what they were doing after that.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
The lines are blurry.
Time for bi-focals, there, youngster.

Quote:
People on this board are too trigger happy.
Deadly with those keyboards.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Thieves have no place on the Earth. Go earn it by working if you want something. Otherwise enjoy feeding the flies.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
My TV or computer is definitely worth more than the life of whoever tries to steal them from me.

As for open carry, I'm for it but I don't know if I would open carry myself. I get the deterrence argument, but it seems to me it also makes one a target (i.e. take out of the guy with the visible gun first). I think I would still conceal carried myself, but I would favor the legislature passing open carry.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
On a personal level, I will never understand how people can be so cavalier about potentially ending a life. If I wound up killing someone over a television, I would be distraught. If he was trying to cause me or my family harm, of course I would do what is necessary to protect myself and my family. But killing someone over a television? I'd have a hard time coming to terms with that.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
I say yes, absolutely, assuming it's a last resort. No, I don't believe someone deserves to die because they're a thief but even less so do I believe an innocent victim deserves to have their property stolen. And taking someone's dog, I believe that should be considered kidnapping, not theft. But either way it is legal to shoot someone taking your dog.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
I guess I'd much rather go for a leg and hope for the best than try to go for the head. I'd rather the thief be caught and given a chance at rehabilitation than to end his life altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas