Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a better bar scene?
Houston 21 48.84%
Dallas 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Look at the sidewalks. With zoning; there would be better infrastructure.
Hence me saying a gift and a curse. However are Dallas bars that weak where you're noticing the sidewalks during bar hoping?? I don't know about you but majority of the times i'm focused on the bar or the atmosphere surrounding the bars/lounges/clubs/eateries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Hence me saying a gift and a curse. However are Dallas bars that weak where you're noticing the sidewalks during bar hoping?? I don't know about you but majority of the times i'm focused on the bar or the atmosphere surrounding the bars/lounges/clubs/eateries.
No...It's just that the infrastructure is so bad in those areas in Houston to where you cant help but notice them or fall on your a*s and get dirty before you even get to the door of the bar that you're hopping too. Its common sense. If you have an area thats supposed to promote easy access to multiple establishments by foot..its only a MUST that you(the city) provide the sidewalks for it to happen...right???...Thats like renting out Ice skates to the public with no Ice rink.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
No...It's just that the infrastructure is so bad in those areas in Houston to where you cant help but notice them or fall on your a*s and get dirty before you even get to the door of the bar that you're hopping too. Its common sense. If you have an area thats supposed to promote easy access to multiple establishments by foot..its only a MUST that you(the city) provide the sidewalks for it to happen...right???...Thats like renting out Ice skates to the public with no Ice rink.
I did notice this. Also in Montose I noticed there's a lot of space between sidewalks (if present) and the bars. A lot of time there were parking lots that divided it. Just didn't have a very urban feel.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I did notice this. Also in Montose I noticed there's a lot of space between sidewalks (if present) and the bars. A lot of time there were parking lots that divided it. Just didn't have a very urban feel.
Exactly!!!...You get more of an experience when you bar hop in Dallas.In my experience in Houston it always feel like were driving to some random strip center in ANY random neighborhood.And the next bar is way across town in another random retail complex. I always have fun but it's a totally different experience from Dallas......Dallas' bar DISTRICTS and experience is better.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
ITO of a bar scene, Dallas and Houston are 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, i.e. too close to call. While Austin has a weaker club scene than either Houston or DFW, Austin has a MUCH better bar scene in terms of walkability, variety and quality. 78701 (Downtown Austin) has the highest number of liquor licenses of any zipcode in the entire U.S!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Like I stated Dallas bar scene must be so below average that you would notice infrastructure while you're out bar hopping. Look I'll admit Dallas does have more walkable area's surrounding their bars I won't deny that. But here's the thing for some odd reasons the times I've been to Dallas the "bar scene" overall atmosphere didn't match up with the infrastructure. And Dallas heavy foot traffic area's surrounding bars are not that much more polished then Houston. I would say Austin beats both Dallas and Houston in that department. But In MY OPINION the atmosphere with the lack of sidewalks is just better in Houston then Dallas. In your statement sort of showcases the mentality of alot of Dallasites. Glitz and glamour but a bit of empty ness. While Houston will put up with what they do have and say F*ck it let's party anyway or have a good time regardless. Dallas bar scene is like "Here we have this fabulous Ice rink but no skaters to show for it!" TIT FOR TAT

Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Its hard to see Houston beating out a all american sports town like Dallas in bar scene. I am not buying that one..

Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Like I stated Dallas bar scene must be so below average that you would notice infrastructure while you're out bar hopping. Look I'll admit Dallas does have more walkable area's surrounding their bars I won't deny that. But here's the thing for some odd reasons the times I've been to Dallas the "bar scene" overall atmosphere didn't match up with the infrastructure. And Dallas heavy foot traffic area's surrounding bars are not that much more polished then Houston. I would say Austin beats both Dallas and Houston in that department. But In MY OPINION the atmosphere with the lack of sidewalks is just better in Houston then Dallas. In your statement sort of showcases the mentality of alot of Dallasites. Glitz and glamour but a bit of empty ness. While Houston will put up with what they do have and say F*ck it let's party anyway or have a good time regardless. Dallas bar scene is like "Here we have this fabulous Ice rink but no skaters to show for it!" TIT FOR TAT
lol

Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Its hard to see Houston beating out a all american sports town like Dallas in bar scene. I am not buying that one..
All American sports town? LMAO Try getting some urban sports stadiums & winning teams first.

Houston has all 5 of its major sports arenas (Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, BBVA Compass Stadium, Reliant Stadium, & Astrodome) within 7 miles or less of downtown & all are connected by light rail. Once UH's new stadium is finished it will make 6 major arenas near downtown.

Dallas' are spread out up to 25 miles away from downtown & only 2 (American Airlines & Cotton Bowl) are next to downtown & are connected by rail.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
All American sports town? LMAO Try getting some urban sports stadiums & winning teams first.

Houston has all 5 of its major sports arenas (Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, BBVA Compass Stadium, Reliant Stadium, & Astrodome) within 7 miles or less of downtown & all are connected by light rail. Once UH's new stadium is finished it will make 6 major arenas near downtown.

Dallas' are spread out up to 25 miles away from downtown & only 2 (American Airlines & Cotton Bowl) are next to downtown & are connected by rail.
Yes..... 5 huge stadiums; And DTHouston is still dead...So turns out stadiums downtown only take up room and does nothing for the urban fabric or foot traffic...Dallas is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas