Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever taken the 72-ounce steak challenge there? I'm trying to save some money to do it next year, and I need to know what it's like, and if there's anything I can do to make it more likely to win the challenge.

Also, are there any neat places to take pitchers around Amarillo (aside from the Cadillac Ranch)? I was thinking about taking a detour up into the Oklahoma panhandle just to say I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
A bit south of Amarillo, but Palo Duro Canyon for pictures.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
First off, the steak challenge. I drive past the Big Texan every day, but have only been in once for a family event with a couple dozen out of town relatives. I was disappointed in the steak, but saw two folks take the challenge and that in itself was worth the trip.

The challengers sat on the stage in the middle of the place. The side of beef <or steak if you want to call it that> came out spilling over the side of the massive plate. There were sides along with it too, as well as a trash can beside the table. Not for scraps, but for the probable "rebate" the challengers would give. Much production was made of the beginning of the timed event, and everyone in the place was watching and taking pictures.

Soon after the challenge began, one contender had to use the "rebate bucket" and his event was over. The other might have finished the challenge if he had another 10 minutes. The entertainment (the steak challengers) was fantastic, the whole place is over the top "Texan-ese" but IMO worth a visit, even though there are better steak places in Amarillo. Coming from out of state, it will be easy to find and I think an absolute hoot.

If you call them before you come, I think they run a hotel next door and that might be a kind of fun addition to your trip.

Other things to do... If you are in the eating mood, there is a place called "Coyote Bluff" in Amarillo that was featured on some TV eating show. Housed in what looks like an old small used car lot, the food is surprisingly good. Small and busy place, and a true dive. They offer the "Burger from Hell" that foodies really seem to like. The atmosphere in that place is lots of fun, but better if you have some friends along.

If you are a Harley fan, there is a decent sized Harley (Tripps Harley Davidson) dealer there I am sure you could pick up an Amarillo Harley shirt.

Not much scenery around, although a trip to Canyon (close enough that many folks living in Canyon commute daily to Amarillo) would be worth it. A couple of fairly good Mexican eateries, and some Oriental ones too. If you make the trip around 4th of July, they have a fantastic parade and the courthouse square is a busy place, same at Christmas time. If not, a walk around the square is still a lot of fun, there are some real neat little stores.

Take a minute to go through the campus of West Texas A&M in Canyon, it is a neat place to look through although it is kind of small. The museum on campus however, is an incredible place to look through. Plan on spending some time to go through it, if you like museums, this one will not disappoint.

Right outside of Canyon is http://www.palodurocanyon.com/ and worth the time to spend wandering around. There are enough picture opportunities to keep you busy all you want. A number of trails wind through the canyon, the most recognized being The Lighthouse trail. Make sure you take plenty of water if you are visiting in the summer, the local EMS crew is real familiar with the entire canyon from hauling folks out. There are also some cabins there to rent if you wanted to stay in the park overnight. I *HIGHLY* recommend giving the park a lookover, it is a real treat. It also is an easy afternoon trip if you are staying in Amarillo and just driving through.

Disclaimer: I have spent a lot of time in PD State Park and I really like the place.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
First off, the steak challenge. I drive past the Big Texan every day, but have only been in once for a family event with a couple dozen out of town relatives. I was disappointed in the steak, but saw two folks take the challenge and that in itself was worth the trip.

The challengers sat on the stage in the middle of the place. The side of beef <or steak if you want to call it that> came out spilling over the side of the massive plate. There were sides along with it too, as well as a trash can beside the table. Not for scraps, but for the probable "rebate" the challengers would give. Much production was made of the beginning of the timed event, and everyone in the place was watching and taking pictures.

Soon after the challenge began, one contender had to use the "rebate bucket" and his event was over. The other might have finished the challenge if he had another 10 minutes. The entertainment (the steak challengers) was fantastic, the whole place is over the top "Texan-ese" but IMO worth a visit, even though there are better steak places in Amarillo. Coming from out of state, it will be easy to find and I think an absolute hoot.....

LOL!! I'd avoid the place for specifically that reason! I don't think I could eat my own steak if I had to watch the contenders puking their guts out! Ewwwww!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Even if you decide not to take on that massive 72-ouncer (it's the size of a roast, by the way), you can still enjoy a nice, western meal at the Big Texan. They have good food there overall, and every time I'm in Amarillo, I always make an effort to stop there.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! I'd avoid the place for specifically that reason! I don't think I could eat my own steak if I had to watch the contenders puking their guts out! Ewwwww!
Same here. That's just gross...

Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Believe me, I turned away. But then I was standing close to the "stage" watching when it happened. Not really something that HAS to be watched, btw. Worst part though, was the contender's college age buddies were taking pictures of his dinner returning.

*THAT* was sick.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Have you looked at their web site and web cam?

Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Believe me, I turned away. But then I was standing close to the "stage" watching when it happened. Not really something that HAS to be watched, btw. Worst part though, was the contender's college age buddies were taking pictures of his dinner returning.

*THAT* was sick.
Yep, even worse! But even if you don't watch, there are still the retching sounds......

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Have you looked at their web site and web cam?
I'm going to watch that webcam daily over the holidays. It's the perfect diet trick. I won't gain an ounce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas