Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
To what degree is religion/Christianity visible out in public? Does Texas have those huge white crucifix towers that can be seen from a few miles away? I am an atheist and don't want to feel like I'm living in Jesus Land. Will I see things like the Ten Commandments in public buildings or restaurants? Will people bother and ask me about which church I am going to join? How intrusive is religion in Texas? No offense to religious people, but here in the Northeast, none of those things exist and I prefer it that way.
You are impossible to please. And you've pulled this routine in other cities, as well.

Stop it.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
To what degree is religion/Christianity visible out in public? Does Texas have those huge white crucifix towers that can be seen from a few miles away? I am an atheist and don't want to feel like I'm living in Jesus Land. Will I see things like the Ten Commandments in public buildings or restaurants? Will people bother and ask me about which church I am going to join? How intrusive is religion in Texas? No offense to religious people, but here in the Northeast, none of those things exist and I prefer it that way.
Well, geez, Nep, if you saw the Ten Commandments on some display or heard "Merry CHRISTMAS" in a normal friendly greeting during a certain time of year? Oh mercy me, I can only imagine the trauma of the experience...

Naw, I figure your best bet is to stay in the northeast, or move to the west coast. And hell, then you wouldn't have to worry about any of it.. one way or another. No crosses, no dominance of Southern Baptist Churches, no y'alls and no signs along the rural highways of Texas (ever driven one?). And no chicken fried steak, neither! (they are fried and thick with gravy...they seem to disagree with northeastern tastes...

Aw, heck. All in all, it might be something to think about and all if you -- with all due respect -- and for the universe to remain in order? Just stop in for a nice visit and keep on thru Route 66. To paraphrase the CDB? We wont mind if you take and head it all up the line...

BTW -- what was your former job and did you lose it or quit it? You ask quite a bit about what -- in a large sense -- Texas can provide for you. Now, let me ask what you can provide for Texas? Just wondering...

God Bless Texas!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM

53 posts, read 74,314 times
I lived in Hartford for a year. The nearby town of Waterbury had a giant yellow neon cross on top of a mountain. So New England is hardly an atheist stronghold, from what I saw. The people I met in Hartford were just as prejudiced against minorities, gays, etc. as people anywhere else. The local newspaper, the Hartford Courant, said the city is the most segregated in the nation.

They had a mall santa who charged $10 for people to take pictures, and the locals were upset by that.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, geez, Nep, if you saw the Ten Commandments on some display or heard "Merry CHRISTMAS" in a normal friendly greeting during a certain time of year? Oh mercy me, I can only imagine the trauma of the experience...

Naw, I figure your best bet is to stay in the northeast, or move to the west coast. And hell, then you wouldn't have to worry about any of it.. one way or another. No crosses, no dominance of Southern Baptist Churches, no y'alls and no signs along the rural highways of Texas (ever driven one?). And no chicken fried steak, neither! (they are fried and thick with gravy...they seem to disagree with northeastern tastes...

Aw, heck. All in all, it might be something to think about and all if you -- with all due respect -- and for the universe to remain in order? Just stop in for a nice visit and keep on thru Route 66. To paraphrase the CDB? We wont mind if you take and head it all up the line...

BTW -- what was your former job and did you lose it or quit it? You ask quite a bit about what -- in a large sense -- Texas can provide for you. Now, let me ask what you can provide for Texas? Just wondering...

God Bless Texas!
I voluntarily resigned from my job. I was a tax accountant for a major utility company. I have over 5 years of experience in corporate taxation. But I'm not necessarily looking to stay in that profession. Who knows...

Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
I lived in Hartford for a year. The nearby town of Waterbury had a giant yellow neon cross on top of a mountain. So New England is hardly an atheist stronghold, from what I saw. The people I met in Hartford were just as prejudiced against minorities, gays, etc. as people anywhere else. The local newspaper, the Hartford Courant, said the city is the most segregated in the nation.

They had a mall santa who charged $10 for people to take pictures, and the locals were upset by that.
But New England is the least religious area of the country. Especially Vermont and New Hampshire. And big deal....that's just one cross in the entire state of CT. I know exactly which one you're talking about. It can be seen from I-84.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
I voluntarily resigned from my job. I was a tax accountant for a major utility company. I have over 5 years of experience in corporate taxation. But I'm not necessarily looking to stay in that profession. Who knows...
Did you resign the job because you were offered a "package" to do so? Or was it either that or being "laid off"?

Anyway, that part of it is none of my business at all. And I wish you the best of luck in that regard. BUT...my point is that you seem to have a hard time getting that Texas/Texans does not owe you an explanation of our ways and culture. In fact, if it comes to first play? Then you need to be the one to give us a good reason how you can be of a good neighbor and asset to Texas. You owe us, in fact, as to what you can provide. At least if you want to frame the original query the way you did...

Show you want to be one of us? Then you will be accepted with open hospitality. If not? Then you won't. Simple as that.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

53 posts, read 74,314 times
Quote:
But New England is the least religious area of the country. Especially Vermont and New Hampshire. And big deal....that's just one cross in the entire state of CT. I know exactly which one you're talking about. It can be seen from I-84.
If it is change in your life you seek, then that implies future changes in your tastes as well. At some point, you may tire of the atheist fixation of being offended by religion, of caring only about sensory pleasures. God can be defined as the power of human goodwill, or by whatever scientific postulates we please. It will make living in Texas easier.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that the suburbs of Austin are not gay friendly? That would be a shame. I guess Texas still has a LONG way to go to achieve full tolerance of LGBT people.
Boloney! Many of the Suburbs are just fine with it. I live in a relatively small town just outside of Austin and we have quite a number of gays and lesbians around here and everyone gets along swimmingly.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute....are you saying that I should use sunscreen every day I go outside down there? That's not fun. Sunscreen causes cancer, because of the chemicals that seep into the skin. And I hate sunscreen.
Could be a problem for you then. It gets very hot and very sunny in the South. If you don't like sunscreen, perhaps you could use a lotion or cream that contains some SPF Protection. There are plenty of organic and all natural types on the market.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Rural New England is usually live and let live mentality. People judge you on what you contribute to the community and if you work hard.
Interesting....sounds a lot like how Texas is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas