Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 26,918 times

Advertisements

McAllen is by FAR the nicest---BEAUTIFUL and exciting, fun...over Harligen, Brownsville, Laredo, or Corpus Christi. McAllen (at least North) feels like a suburb of Dallas...like Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 PM

26 posts, read 78,908 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am FROM Dallas, so your response is interesting. Though actaully, I'm an old-time Dallasite from Highland Park...can't say I care that much for Plano. You appear to be familiar with the area. Do you know Rancho Viejo, and if so, what do you think of it?
thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,014,793 times
Harlingen, Port Isabel and S Padre Island the best in that area

Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 PM

79 posts, read 393,390 times
Boug

Are you still planning on coming down in January? From what you describe you want I think Rancho will still be a good bet for you, though the Harlingen country club may also work (just not many Spanish-style homes there though). McAllen is a better place if you want to be around Dallaslike amenities but if natural scenery is more to your liking there are more places like that closer to the coast.

Having said that, there is a very pretty neighborhood between McAllen and Edinburg surrounding a small lake that is nice and lush, just no golf course around. Looking at Google I think it's called Lake Shore Dr. It reminds me more of the eastern Valley. The homes east of the McAllen Country Club are also nice and old enough to have some decent sized trees.

Be aware that McAllen gets hotter than areas near the coast in the summer; after 5pm it has usually dropped into the 80s and breezy near the coast while it's still well in the 90s west of Weslaco. If you'd like I can post some more pics of Rancho and other areas. The weather down here has been beautiful most days lately, going to San Antonio for Christmas gave me more than enough cold to last me a good while

Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I will be there the third week in January to look at houses. I did check out the weather and temperatures on the various cities' websites and it is clear that it's much hotter in McAllen.....a big negative for me. Thanks for your precise information - it is hugely helpful. Having lived in sublime climates in Mexico City and Central America, as well as northern New Mexico, it's tough for me to go back to the heat of south Texas, so even a difference of ten degrees from the 90's to the 80's is quite significant. It's no fun to walk your dog when the pavement burns her feet! But I think I'm willing to put up with the hot summers in order to get the the pleasant winters. Hope everyone had a lovely holiday season and best wishes to all for a marvelous 2008!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,729,583 times
>> I am looking at small houses (just for me....I am single) in Rancho Viejo, Los Fresnos and McAllen. I am female, Anglo, 60-ish and very active.<<

Stuart Place Country Club in Harlingen/Palm Valley, off Stuart Place road, just 1/4 mile or so north of the highway (83). This is a 55 and older community, mostly winter texans but others live there year round. It has a 3 par golf course as well. There's quite a bunch of active, older adults. Mostly two bedroom, some three bedroom houses that back up to the golf course.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Hmm, since when did the Harlingen Country Club area at Stuart Place have a 55 rule? Most people there look retired but I didn't think they had an age requirement. I had a friend who lived there in the mid-90s and he was in his early 40s at the time. Nice area, just not many Spanish style houses. Every time I go through there it does seem like there are a number of people out playing golf or walking the dog etc. Worth a look for someone who is also looking at Rancho Viejo, enough trees and greenery just no lakes

Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,729,583 times
<<Hmm, since when did the Harlingen Country Club area at Stuart Place have a 55 rule?>>

It's not the Harlingen Country Club, it's Stuart Place Country club, across the street (which is Stuart Place Rd).

Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 AM

The area I'm thinking of is a little north of the freeway, Stuart Place Road forms the western boundary and people I know from Harlingen just refer to it as "The Country Club". Are there really some parts of it that are 55+ only?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks to all! I will look around to see if anything's on the market in the Stuart Road area. I have found two or three houses that are candidates in "Palm Valley Estates"....all of them back up to the golf course at HCC.

Lifestyle is as important to me as location, so I'd like to live in a place with a real community with full-time residents....where I can make friends. If a place is only inhabited seasonally, by winter golfers.....it might be a little lonely for six months of the year. I'm not particularly drawn to the over-55 communities, actuallly. Sounds dull, to me. On the other hand, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to live in a place where all the front yards are littered with tricycles either! There's a happy medium somewhere, I hope.

Thanks to all for the input! I can't wait to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas