Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times

Advertisements

I was going to add --
There are plenty of doctors that can treat the symptoms. My husband went thru two rounds of shots at various times in his life. His allergist said he can't do any more rounds - I guess they wouldn't be effective. But he has built up an immunity. He's even allergic to cats and we have cats. He doesn't even sniffle.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a more humid climate and not the dry ones of west Texas. Keep in mind the northerners I mentioned only blow in a few times a year. We're getting one blow in tomorrow. !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 02:04 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We are planning our retirement and need to move when it happens. But we really don't want to leave our adopted state of Texas. But my wife has serious allergy problems. So, what's the best place to live in Texas if you are plagued by allergy problems? I've heard good things about San A, but that's about it. DFW is very bad, we lived there also. How bout near the coast in someplace like Katy? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Clearly it depends on what the worst allergens are. My wife has allergies to the plants of North and East TX, and mold too. She was told to go for "high, dry, and cold". But someone allergic to dust would probably not do well in southern Idaho.

A consultation with an allergist would be in order, I think.

I don't really think anywhere in the state is likely to be "low allergy" unless you live on the coast. Not somewhere like Houston, but somewhere like Galveston on the Gulf side of the island, or one of the barrier islands, or maybe Corpus overlooking the bay. I think that once you put a mile or two between you and the beach all the stuff growing between you and the beach will overcome the sea breezes.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
My husband went thru two rounds of shots at various times in his life. His allergist said he can't do any more rounds - I guess they wouldn't be effective.
Your husband should find a different allergist. I’ve gone thru the rounds of shots 3 times, currently going thru the 4th round, over the last 35 years, as my allergies have changed, and they have helped every time.

Living near the coast, w an onshore breeze can help, but high humidity there can also raise the mold allergy problems, if he has that allergy. A desert climate, with fewer allergans can help, depending on what he’s allergic to.

I recommend a long visit to each area to see how he does.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Some of the worst allergy problems in central TX are related to Mountain Cedar, which is predominantly throughout central TX. So you will want to avoid these areas, especially during Dec-Jan each winter.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 12,865 times
Default San Antonio allergens

San Antonio is the WORST place if you have allergies. I moved here from the Fresno area in CA, hoping that the allergies I had there would be better here, only to find out that this is one of the worst places in the US to be if you have any type of allergies...especially to mold and juniper (which I am highly allergic to). The humidity doesn't help the mold in the air and it gets worse after every rain storm. The Juniper is really bad right now and will be from November through early February. It causes red, swollen eyes, and lots of breathing problems. I have become a shut in because of this. Make sure you do your own research before you choose a place to retire to. I am hoping I can get someplace else where the allergens are not as bad as here. Good luck!!

Old 01-06-2018, 06:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
It just depends on what a person is allergic to.

When I lived in central TX in the Hill Country, I suddenly developed allergies (never had them before). I got tested and guess what I was allergic to? Mesquite. Oops.

I moved to northeast Texas (Tyler area) about 25 years ago and though we get a lot of pollen in the spring, and though some other people suffer from various allergies around here, I'm absolutely fine here.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex7476 View Post
Does anyone know how San Angelo and Abilene are for allergy sufferers? I want to stay in Texas (am in Houston suburbs now and between allergies and pollution this place is terrible for my health).
I lived in San Angelo for 7 years.i now live in San Antonio. I had bad allergies in San Angelo, mostly around cotton harvest and bale times. Lots of people have bad cedar allergies there as well, although cedar didn’t seem to bother me. I’ve found nothing in San Antonio aggravates my allergies. I think allergies are very fickle and personal like that. I lived in the Texas panhandle for 10 years and never had allergies. I moved out of state for a few years and when I returned, I was terribly allergic to something that gets kicked up around August. I was hiking Caprock Canyon state park and Palo Duro and whatever it was made my eyes water and nose run like no ones business. When I moved to San Antonio I though “oh gee, let’s see what I’m allergic to here,” but I’ve made it over a year with no allergic reactions. I also know this is Texas and that can change. My friend who also lived in the panhandle moved away because of allergies. She is in east Texas where they do not get those bad panhandle winds but now she’s just allergic to some other thing. It’s just the way Texas is. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,034 times
I’m the opposite. Horribly ill growing up in San Antonio and quite a bit improved in San Angelo as a teenager - still needed my tonsils out but not sick in bed every time the weather changed. As an adult in San Antonio I’m better than as a child but I still feel it pretty much year round. Pollen and mold bother me so the Hill Country is definitely harder than West TX for me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Cobolt, but it often takes about 3 years for cedar allergies to kick in.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
I guess it would depend on what exactly she is allergic to. I lived in San Antonio for some years and every January I "came down with a cold." It would last for weeks. It wasn't a cold. It was mountain cedar pollen allergy. I was never allergic to anything before or since.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,034 times
Cedar is 31,000+ today in San Antonio. First day back to school for my kids and I had to crawl back under the covers after dropping them off. Freezing despite it being in the 50s, congested and sneezing, red itchy eyes even after allergy meds. Despite the sunny day and warmer weather I think I’ll try to stay inside today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas