Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should teachers in Texas be allowed to carry guns in school
Yes 52 48.15%
No 56 51.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Armed teachers. Schools implementing evacuation plans just in case. A principle patrolling the halls with an AK-47.

Sounds like nirvana. Certainly something kids would enjoy while in school as opposed to saying enough is enough and doing something logical to make schools and kids safer.
What is wrong with armed teachers? As opposed to armed cops. If the former have had the proper training in the use of their weapon, same as the police officer? Then what makes one more competent than the other? Does a badge automatically bestow some special rights and presumption of exertiese in the use of a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The last mass shooting in a Texas school was 46 years ago when Charles Whitman went on a shooting rampage from the University of Texas Tower and killed 16.

Meanwhile in the most recent 5-year period for which data are available:

About 3,000 school age kids died in traffic accidents
About 1,000 died of homicide outside of school
About 700 died of suicide
About 500 died of poisoning
About 300 died of drowning
About 150 died in fires

And over 30% of Texas school children are now classified as obese in no small part because kids don't walk to school or play outside anymore and are fed a steady diet of chicken nuggets, pizza, and fries at school and barely get recess any more at schools that spend every spare moment drilling, drilling, and drilling their kids for the TAKS and STAR tests.

Wherein lie the real threats to our children's health and safety?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
The prophecy of the 'Kindergarten Cop' movie is coming true. I'll be back!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM

83 posts, read 310,892 times
Any teacher that would bring guns to school would have to go through the regular processes of getting a gun, so no more dangerous than anyone else owning a gun (whether that's good or bad, it's up to you).

What we should be doing is getting rid of those "No Gun Zones" outside schools. Fat lot of good those do.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The alternative is to just allow shootings like the CT tragedy to continue. THAT is the dumbest idea ever IMHO.

If a school has no teachers who are willing and able to take on the task, then I think having them hire an armed security guard or off-duty officer to be on hand during school hours is reasonable.

The likelihood of a teacher actually having to use their weapon is probably about one in a billion. But why just leave the children unprotected just in case another nutcase shows up?

Just the thought that some teachers MIGHT be armed, or an officer MIGHT be or definitely IS present, will deter lots of shooters, even if they are insane and hellbent on dying after their carnage.
The Bold response is a reasonable alternative, but armed teacher's is not a good idea. I would not want arms around my kids unless it's Law Enforcement. Are we seriously sitting here debating the merits of arming teachers in the class rooms? It's a Non-Starter.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
The Bold response is a reasonable alternative, but armed teacher's is not a good idea. I would not want arms around my kids unless it's Law Enforcement. Are we seriously sitting here debating the merits of arming teachers in the class rooms? It's a Non-Starter.
But again, if the teacher has been thru the same training as the LEO, then what is the problem? And arms around your kids? Are you a hunter? Do you teach your kids gun safety? If so? Then why should they fear guns around a responsible adult?

And even if not? If your kids are in a school where some nut is hell bent upon shooting everyone in sight? Would you want an armed teacher AT THE MOMENT, or hope that the Law Enforcement person gets there within even 3 minutes...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
While I would support having armed school employees, I think several people have raised some valid issues. Hopefully this isn't also a knee-jerk response and the politicans have a lengthy discussion on this before implementing it. I grew up in a small town, and there was a city police officer on campus most of the day. In fact, he taught multiple classes on criminal justice and I think that schools and police departments could find common ground on allocating an officer not only for protection, but also for expanding their curriculum (partially paid for by the school and the city).

While a panic room would be beneficial, the cost and building modification would be huge. How about installing solid steel doors with some type bar/locking device that would prevent anyone from entering a class room. A push of a button and everyone inside the classroom is secured.

If school employees are allowed to carry, obvisously there needs to be special training and yearly evaluations. There also needs to be multiple employees that carry, just to add another level of deterrent. Harrold ISD has had armed school employees for over 4 years now and hopefully they will be called upon to help craft a policy since they have a 4 year head start.

As for the "assualt" weapons comments, I hope people realize that the VaTech shooter used two handguns, Columbine was carried out with explosives, hand guns, and shotguns. The Paducah school shooter used a rifle and a shotgun. Both Columbine and Paducah occured during the "assualt" weapons ban....Police are minutes away when you need them within seconds.

Hopefully this will be well thought out before the state implements anything.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I'd hate to see what happens when one of those armed teachers has a bad day and has such easy access to a weapon. I'm sure all of us can remember at least one teacher that we were glad didn't have the option to have a gun on them.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL, Westerner...I like your style...
I still haven't made up my mind on how soon is too soon for kids to be carrying guns around. I'm thinking as long as the weight of the pistol with an extended magazine strapped to their belt doesn't get in the way of their four-square game, things should be good to go. So maybe second grade?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
This is ridiculous. Anyone advocating for measures like this is so white-bread and out of touch with the reality of urban schools. Over and above the other issues that have been brought up - You arm school teachers and I guarantee you that you will have gang members in school beating down said teacher and shooting the place up. This is absolutely absurdly stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas