Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 PM

338 posts, read 741,136 times

Advertisements

I mean, I live in Central Texas, and it's hot in summer, the leaves DO change in fall, it DOES get cold in the winter, just not as long as up north, and it's warm in spring. Are there any other places in Texas like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I mean, I live in Central Texas, and it's hot in summer, the leaves DO change in fall, it DOES get cold in the winter, just not as long as up north, and it's warm in spring. Are there any other places in Texas like that?
The panhandle and parts of West Texas. Lubbock and Amarillo occasionally get blasted by show in the winter.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
East Texas has "summer feeling" from May to October which is about 6 months. Snow is rare but it can happen just about once every year in the northern part of East Texas. We definitely have leaves change colors in late November.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The short answer is: no; nowhere in Texas truly has four seasons in the manner that places for north do. I lived in Austin for a total of 22 years and certainly there are not four distinct seasons there. Rather, there are scenes from Spring and Autumn, with a long hot Summer and a very variable Winter. The same is essentially true of more northerly places in the State, including DFW and Lubbock, both of which I've lived in. Yes, those get colder Winter weather and are more inclined to have snow, especially Lubbock, but there are not four fully articulated seasons. Spring and Fall are just close to being non-events in Texas. I can contrast that to where I live now, with a very extended Autumn (really the nicest season IMO), hot summer, cold winter, and a rather variable spring that some years is magnificent and other years segues into summer all too quickly. Part of the problem with Spring in Texas is that, besides the weather itself, most of the State just doesn't have the right sort of shrubbery and vegetation, though East Texas is much better on that score than the rest of the State in general.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I was born and grew up in East Texas - Henderson, Palestine, Tyler, that area - and I clearly remember four distinct seasons. Not so much snow in the winter, when it did it was very exciting, but winter was distinct from fall and spring. Lots of colorful leaves in the autumn (yellow, red, golden, bronze in among the evergreen pines). Flowers like crazy (starting with the tiny purple flowers on weeds that I picked bouquets of for my Mama every spring).

Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Texarkana, and I'm assuming Wichita Falls, Lubbock, and Amarillo. They're the closest to four seasons you will get in this state, or virtually anywhere in the non-Appalachian Lower South states.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
30 years in the Panhandle here, Lubbock to Amarillo and in between.....

Ain't no such thing around here as distinct seasons. Been many years in December wearing shorts and short sleeves, to wearing heavy coats and scraping ice, back to shorts, all in the same week.

Summer is hot for long months, then we have something "less than summer" with occasional cold bouts thrown in for the rest of the year.

All topped with blowing dust. The blowing dust obviously comes from the blowing wind, which strips the leaves from the trees before they turn pretty colors. Most years, spring means less chance of scraping ice but little relief from the wind. if we are lucky, it rains enough to turn things green for a while before the heat of summer browns everything back up again.

I still love the area though, even though the rest of the masses might not.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Oh. Well, scratch the Panhandle, I guess.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
I say Texas has 4 seasons, just very weak ones except for SUMMER!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
The way I see it, in DFW (its the only place I can really speak for in Texas):

-Winter starts the second week of December and ends the second week of February
-Spring starts in the end of February to the beginning of March and goes to the second week of May
-Summer starts the second week of May and goes through the middle of October
-Fall starts at the end of October and ends the second week of December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas