Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I did not notice anyone advising that when carrying a handgun in a vehicle there are formalities if pulled over by a police officer. Maybe it's common knowledge, but if someone does not have a CHL they may not be aware.

If pulled over keep both hands on wheel and immediately advise police officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle - Follow the instructions of the police officer....and keep in mind that it is a serious situation for the police officer, as they are dealing with a non-CHL holder
(that is, with a CHL they know you went through a background check, training, safety testing, etc.). So, act appropriately for the situation - be serious and promptly cooperative.

I have a .38 Special - Simple to use, also no safety other than a longer pull on trigger. The hammer is covered, which I like. It's easy to handle - But when you shoot it, it has a bit of a kick, and a heck of a flash.

Though I have a CHL, I rarely carry it. Mostly if I am driving a long distance through remote areas.

And with an inside the belt holster and a loose shirt, or even in the pocket of baggie pants, it conceals.

Get a CHL - I enjoyed the classes and tips from the instructor. The safety info is useful.

And if you are going to carry a weapon in the car, you might as well get the CHL.

I want to add this:

Our instructor was a peace officer for years. He knew what he was talking about, and he knew exactly how to put together all the information (application, fingerprints, etc...). And I got the CHL without any problems...and promptly (with background check and all).

So, if taking the class and training - get an experienced instructor. A reliable independent person can often be better than the larger corporate owned businesses.
I have gone back over the Texas hand gun laws and Texas Drivers handbook and cannot find any requirement that the driver of a vehicle, who does NOT have a CHL, must advise a police officer that they have a weapon in the vehicle.

I understand that this is a requirement if you DO have a CHL. But otherwise it is not.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-13-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 PM

12,882 posts, read 13,186,689 times
During a traffic stop it is only common sense to tell the LEO you have a firearm in the car - and where it is. That could avoid any potential overreaction by the officer who may not be aware of the actual laws.
They also have the legal right to disarm you temporarily as they see fit, but must return your gun when you are released from "detention".

Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 PM

12,882 posts, read 13,186,689 times
^^^ Was referring to Texas

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
During a traffic stop it is only common sense to tell the LEO you have a firearm in the car - and where it is. That could avoid any potential overreaction by the officer who may not be aware of the actual laws.
They also have the legal right to disarm you temporarily as they see fit, but must return your gun when you are released from "detention".
I disagree that it is common sense to tell a LEO you have a firearm in the car, when the law does not require you to do so. Doing so simply invites that officer who may not be aware of the laws, to have an overreaction, when there is no need to invite one.

If it became clear that the officer intended to search the car, which would be highly unlikely, then I would advise him that I had a firearm in the car and where it was, otherwise there is no need to.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,203,262 times
I have a CHL and do not even own a gun yet.

Had it for about a year.

The class was very interesting, and I learned a lot.

I followed up the class with some more advanced gun classes.

I want to be totally prepared before I own a gun.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM

804 posts, read 1,066,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I have a CHL and do not even own a gun yet.

Had it for about a year.

The class was very interesting, and I learned a lot.

I followed up the class with some more advanced gun classes.

I want to be totally prepared before I own a gun.

So how are you being prepared by practicing at the range if you don't own a gun?If your renting a gun you need to be practicing with the gun your going to be using most often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas