Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 PM

29 posts, read 136,084 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for area's in TX to move to. We are looking at Killeen (1), Longview (2) and Amarillo (3). He is originally from TX (panhandle) but neither of us know much about the Killeen area. He just got out of the Military last year after 15 years and we are interested in Killeen because he could be a civilian on the base working on helicopters (but we do NOT want to be bombarded with "military"..been there done that).

But here is our concern...Is Killeen considered a "military town"... since Ft. Hood is SO large?? Normally "military towns" have things like strip joints, lots of bars, etc...stuff to entertain (as you will) soldiers and everything is geared around the base (not things we are fond of)??.
Can anyone shed some light on Killeen to help us get an idea if it were somewhere we would like to live and raise our kids or is it ALL about Military?? Thanks in advance for any help given!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM

29 posts, read 136,084 times
ALSO...does Killeen area get snow?? Thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 PM

323 posts, read 829,286 times
To answer your question, yes, Killeen is a military town. I lived there for about 9 years, and the military has a HUGE presence. As far as strip clubs and bars, Killeen has it's fair share of them, although from what I remember, they are mostly in Harker Heights, the next town over. I moved away in 2001, and so much has changed since then. There is a lot more retail there, and housing developments are going up like crazy. The schools there weren't too bad, but it's been over 10 years since I've been in the school district there. There were small gang problems, mainly in the high schools, not sure how they are now. Over all, Killeen isn't all that bad. It's only an hour away from Austin, 2 1/2 from Dallas and San Antonio. It snowed one time in the 9 years I lived there, but there is usually atleast one good ice storm per winter. Well, hope the info helps and good luck with your search.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM

52 posts, read 218,532 times
Killeen is Military all the way. And unfortunately most of the business in the area prey on the military. Cut rate shops everywhere trying to make a fast buck off the soldiers. Don't even think of buying furniture there. Shoddy stuff that will break before the year is done, and everyone is selliing it to the soldiers who move in and out.
Here is the bad stuff:
high crime rate
congestion
traffic gridlocks through town
many accidents (the soldiers think they can fly and they go right through red lights)
weekends are packed everywhere when soldiers are off (restaurants, walmart etc)
soldiers and their families everywhere (constant congestion and noise)
bad areas of town you need to pass through at times
education and schools not too good
teen crime rate is high
Most teens are drop outs or dont attend college
Look at the number of Sex offenders in this town, mind boggling

Good points:
good weather most of the time
low cost housing (to buy or rent)
everything is geared to military, so former military benefit
nice base, one of the biggests, best potential
lots of foreclosures (homes)
close to Austin or Houston for fun or shopping
they have their own airport with the large airlines, now

Very diverse population, all races, all nationalities in one town. The problems are with the gangs and that is the biggest part of the crime.

If you moved here I would keep the kids in private school, make sure you live in the nicer neighborhoods (like Coperas Cove), and be careful driving around this town so that you won't be one of the daily announce casualties. Maybe drive a HUMMER. There are a few nice neighborhood not far from base with newer homes for great prices.

How do I know all this? My son is an Army officer at Ft Hood. We hear the stories and have experienced it ourselves. We visit him often. He loves the base but we hope they will transfer him out to a better location so that when he starts a family it is suitable.

Weight the pros and the cons. If he has a great job you can work with the rest and figure out how to make this town work. It is growing because housing is cheap not because it is the best place to live.
Sharon

Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
i chose to live in Copperas Cove, heavily military but alot smaller and "more country" than Killeen. however, i will want to look at buying in Gatesville or Lampasas FOR SURE in a year. i love those two towns-very country, very rural, very non-military, lots of ranchers, but close enough to drive to my job at Ft Hood where i am a defense contractor!!!
I LOVE IT HERE!!!! check out the pics i took of lampasas and gatesville. it is GORGEOUS HERE!

Pics Of Lampasas Etc

another PLUS to being near enough to FT HOOD is so that he can have access to all medical facilities, PX/commissary etc. you WONT have ANY of that in panhandle or longview!!

i personally wouldnt want to live in most parts of Killeen, however i really do enjoy the fact that there is such diversity in dining out there! i can have Hawaiian food, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Korean, Japanese, you name it! and everything i could possibly need in terms of shopping is there, and its a helluva lot better than having to drive into a MAJOR city.

everyone warned me about traffic from the COVE to post. i dont have a problem but then again i dont commute to work when all the soldiers are going to PT! and most of my drive home is ON POST-i dont ever touch Hwy 190 except to cross it on the western edge, almost near Kempner.
the town of Copperas Cove, is a bit big for me, but then again, i like towns of population 500. but was surprised at how NICE folks are. the water company called me LONG DISTANCE before i moved there (i had utilities turned on, online) to tell me kindly that the day i picked for water turn on was a holiday and they were closed, and would i like it turned on the day before or after. i was AMAZED. after the RUDENESS of South Texas, i was pleasantly surprised! everone has been very nice here. have had NO problems. I LOVE IT HERE!

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-06-2007 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM

30 posts, read 126,652 times
Talking Ft Hood is not just Killeen

We also are a former active duty family that is now GS. I want the benfits of the post ..without living at/near the place, LOL. We researched and chose Kempner (part of Lampasas County). My kids are in very small classes, conservative values, great rewards for grades more than the sports emphasis.
We did have a bit of "snow" last year. It lasted just a few hours, but the kids thought it was great.
As others have said, people are very friendly here. and yes a few rude.. but that is everywhere. I personally have more fun power shopping at the outlets. I go to Round Rock (40 minutes) or San Marcos- a little longer but 2 humongeous outlets there!! For the commissaries, time it on off payday weekend, or early in morning. This has been a nice post, I found more strip joints at Ft Leonard Wood than here.. but that could be coz I can drive many ways to get where I want to.

Good luck on your choice- feel free to email me with any questions.

FYI: I also am getting ready to list our home fsbo- hubby got promotion in another part of state. email if anyone wants details on house :0)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Lots of good areas to live within commuting distance of Killeen. I personally like Nolanville, Copperas Cove, Belton. Gatesville and Kempner are nice rural areas. Salado is close. If you don't want to live in Killeen with its military presence, these suburbs are great alternatives.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
if you want a very friendly "hometown" atmosphere, Gatesville cant be beat. go for Sunday breakfast at Andy's and you will see what i mean. a very cozy community. that's where i will be buying a house next year hopefully
Kempner is quiet rural but not really a defined "town"-just a spot on the map, and no real "gathering" places, so i just dont know how folks there get to know each other. great place if you dont want to know anyone except who ya go to church with. most likely you wouldnt even have neighbors nearby.
Lampasas is very nice, but i dont feel as much of the "cozy" neighborly quality that i feel in Gatesville. i hear it's because there are still some military transients in Lampasas, whereas Gatesville is truly mostly local folks, and good majority work at the 5 prisons right there in town, very working class but CLEAN NICE SAFE.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 126,652 times
Default kempner

We have small neighborhoods hidden up here! and I love my neighbors! we all watch each others homes when away, have cook outs and grab mail when someone is gone. You just got to know where to find us, LOL

Lampasas - if you go to the DQ or the eating places for breakfast.. you will find that "small town feel". The Spring Ho festival, and movie nites are great way to meet. This whole area is awesome. I am not a huge fan of Killeen (except for shopping)
Once my youngest started preK up in town, I really started meeting more "moms" that I didn't already know from church. (you had that part right Belle)

Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,867 times
Default PCS from Korea

This was great information on the local areas of FT. Hood. Although I didnt hear much mention on Harker Heights. I was thinking of settling down and buying a home there. Most of my information comes from searches on the internet, I assumed Harker Heights was a nice neighborhood but the more I look into it it seems i should search elsewhere. Like with most people associated with the military, I like being in the area but not in the center. My main concern is it a good place to raise my children, schools, friendly people, dont want to be around many strip clubs, bars and military party goers. Is anyone familiar with Harker Heights area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas