Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 AM

875 posts, read 1,651,886 times

Advertisements

Hey you guys, I have come up with a list of the Top Universities in Texas. When I mean "Top", I'm speaking in terms of price, campus beauty, academics, athletic programs, location etc. These are my rankings:

1. Rice University- Top notch school. Southern Ivy.

2. University of Texas at Austin- Top school in Texas. Nice Public Ivy. Athletics and Academics Rule here.

3. SMU- Another Southern Ivy. Beautiful Campus. Great Academic Programs

4. Texas A & M University- Made the list because of the name and price. Not that bad of a price for a Division I school. Campus kind of reminds me of Houston..Big and Flat. Overall good academic programs.

5. Baylor University- Very good school, beautiful campus, academic and athletics are great here.

6. University of Houston- Great school, nice campus, athletic and academic programs are turning for the better. Tier 1 status soon.

7. Texas Tech University- Good school for academics and it athletic programs. Flat, but beautiful campus.

8. University of Texas at Dallas- On it way to Tier 1 status. Nice campus.

9. Texas Christen University- Academic and Athletic programs are great. Probably the best in the DFW area right after SMU or maybe even a close tie.

10. Texas State University- Underrated Texas University. Great for academics. Athletic department is average. Beautiful campus in a good location.

11. University of North Texas- Average University. Nice campus and Academic programs. Big University in the DFW region.

12. University of Texas at Arlington- Another DFW school. Good for Academics.

13. Trinity University- San Antonio's best university. Beautiful campus.

14. University of Texas San Antonio- San Antonio's mega university. Academics and Athletic department are okay. School is a big benefit for the San Antonio area.

15. Sam Houston State University- Great school and probably one of the best "bang for you buck" colleges in Texas. Beautiful campus. Growing athletic and academic programs.

Schools that came close were: Southwestern University, Texas Wesleyan University, University of Dallas, University of Texas El Paso, Schreiner University and Austin College. Please provide input. The more information the better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
SMU is nowhere near a southern Ivy. I do not think any university that accepts anywhere near 50% of its applicants can be considered close to an Ivy. Rice deserves that label.

I think your list has SMU, Baylor, and Texas Tech overrated.

I think the top 5 are:

Rice
UT Austin
Texas A&M
Trinity (a top regional liberal arts school)
SMU

I agree the A&M campus is not very attractive. A lot of bland architecture, especially from the buildings built in the 1980s-1990s. The newer ones are much nicer.

UT Austin's athletics are not so special after football, men's basketball, volleyball, and baseball. They do make a ton of money though.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,526,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't know about that. Texas Tech and UH are each other's main competition for the next Tier 1 school in Texas.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,057,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
14. University of Texas San Antonio- San Antonio's mega university. Academics and Athletic department are okay. School is a big benefit for the San Antonio area.
That pretty much answers the question of why I wanted my kids to grow up in Houston instead of San Antonio.
and yes, I know they can easily go to school anywhere in the country,

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
SMU is nowhere near a southern Ivy. I do not think any university that accepts anywhere near 50% of its applicants can be considered close to an Ivy. Rice deserves that label.

I think the top 5 are:

Rice
UT Austin
Texas A&M
Trinity (a top regional liberal arts school)
SMU

I agree the A&M campus is not very attractive. A lot of bland architecture, especially from the buildings built in the 1980s-1990s. The newer ones are much nicer.

UT Austin's athletics are not so special after football, men's basketball, volleyball, and baseball. They do make a ton of money though.
Trinity before SMU and Tech???? I think you have overrated Trinity University. Its a good school but not on the terms of SMU, Tech and other schools in the state. IMO

Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM

474 posts, read 901,169 times
Quote:
Trinity before SMU and Tech???? I think you have overrated Trinity University. Its a good school but not on the terms of SMU, Tech and other schools in the state. IMO
Trinity is ranked #1 by US News in its region. It is not classifed as a "national university."

Based on the data at collegeboard.com 50% of the freshmen class have SAT scores for writing and math as follows:

Trinity 580-680/590-690
SMU 560-660/580-680
Tech 490-580/510-610

Trinity's students on average are higher quality than either SMU or especially Tech.

I know US News isn't universally agreed as the ultimate ranking, but Tech is ranked #160 in its category (national universities).

Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Trinity is ranked #1 by US News in its region. It is not classifed as a "national university."

Based on the data at collegeboard.com 50% of the freshmen class have SAT scores for writing and math as follows:

Trinity 580-680/590-690
SMU 560-660/580-680
Tech 490-580/510-610

Trinity's students on average are higher quality than either SMU or especially Tech.

I know US News isn't universally agreed as the ultimate ranking, but Tech is ranked #160 in its category (national universities).
I was not ranking by SAT scores I was ranking overall. It is a great school but its not really on the terms of the other schools when you factor in athletics or even academic programs.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Nice List.

I would drop SMU and Baylor a bit and increase Trinity's ranking

Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
I've read that UT-Dallas is actually a pretty decent school.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Quote:
I was not ranking by SAT scores I was ranking overall. It is a great school but its not really on the terms of the other schools when you factor in athletics or even academic programs.
I think Trinity's academics are superior to SMU and especially Texas Tech. It does not have the variety of degree programs however. As a NCAA Div III school, its athletics are clearly not in the same class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas