U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
 
8,232 posts, read 6,343,640 times
Reputation: 11828

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how accurate Vidor's reputation is today versus how much is a remnant from several decades ago. I have a potential job opportunity there and I am trying to research it. Obviously, I am somewhat hesitant about it given its reputation. However, I'm thinking the reputation might be worse than the reality given that its reputation is almost poor to the point of being unbelievable.

While I am curious as to the persistence of overt displays of racism in the area, it is not actually my main concern since I am white and it wouldn't affect me personally. What I am primarily curious about is how welcoming are the locals to outsiders? I've lived in the south most of my life and some places can be friendly while others can be pretty cliquish. Also, how safe is it overall in terms of violent crime and property crime?

I would prefer responses either from people that live in the area now or who used to live there. I'm not particularly interested in the views of people who stopped at the Vidor Dairy Queen one time on the way back from the casino, or who's knowledge of Vidor comes from hearsay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
 
Location: League City
3,520 posts, read 6,801,858 times
Reputation: 4324
Reputation is way worse than reality now. Maybe back in the 60s the reputation was for real, but not now. I grew up in Orange, which is in the same county as Vidor. I have relatives in Vidor. Also I used to go regularly to Vidor to visit the ex-girlfriend's family. I am not white. I still go to Orange regularly since my family still resides there. I am sure you can find some good ol' boys who still have a thing against black people, but not any more so than any other small town in SE Tx or even Louisiana. I guarantee you most of the younger generation does not care. Now don't think that I am a Vidor apologist. I didn't say I liked the town, but I think it currently has an unfair reputation. Vidor does have a different reputation for ... ahem... very close family relations, and there is some truth to that. But at the same time I'll tell you this - I have hung around almost all the black and Mexican 'hoods in Beaumont, Orange, and Pt Arthur at one time or another, and I promise you there is nothing like that in Vidor. I've spent time in areas several miles north or Orange, which can be like a scene out of Deliverance. That genuinely scared me. But I have never been scared like that in Vidor. I keep up with Orange County news, and most of the crime reports for Vidor are domestic disputes or people peddling in meth. Unless you are a drug head, it's easy to avoid that garbage. Vidor is probably safer than a lot of Beaumont. I would worry more about violent crime in Orange or Beaumont than Vidor. Obviously you don't have to live in Vidor as there are lots of nice towns within easy commute distance, but there are plenty of nice neighborhoods there.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 01-09-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
 
8,232 posts, read 6,343,640 times
Reputation: 11828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Vidor does have a different reputation for ... ahem... very close family relations, and there is some truth to that.
LOL. I used to live in the Appalachian part of Tennessee, so I am familiar with people who are a bit too friendly with family. Thanks very much for your info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
 
515 posts, read 843,686 times
Reputation: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm curious as to how accurate Vidor's reputation is today versus how much is a remnant from several decades ago. I have a potential job opportunity there and I am trying to research it. Obviously, I am somewhat hesitant about it given its reputation. However, I'm thinking the reputation might be worse than the reality given that its reputation is almost poor to the point of being unbelievable.

While I am curious as to the persistence of overt displays of racism in the area, it is not actually my main concern since I am white and it wouldn't affect me personally. What I am primarily curious about is how welcoming are the locals to outsiders? I've lived in the south most of my life and some places can be friendly while others can be pretty cliquish. Also, how safe is it overall in terms of violent crime and property crime?

I would prefer responses either from people that live in the area now or who used to live there. I'm not particularly interested in the views of people who stopped at the Vidor Dairy Queen one time on the way back from the casino, or who's knowledge of Vidor comes from hearsay.

I lived in Orangefield, it is about half way between Orange and Vidor. I would have considered Vidor. The whole race thing is somewhat over blown, but, the people in Vidor like a predominately white city. It is not that they reject everyone, and turn them away, it is that they just decided it was better to live in Vidor than in Beaumont or Orange.

I found that the race thing was not only present in Vidor, it extended to Orange Field and Evadale. I don't know what the people did in Orange Field or Evadale, I only know the tales from Vidor, (I was not raised there, I was raised near Port Arthur in the little Town of Groves.) I do know that when I worked in Evadale, my manager, a black woman, would not go to Evadale without me, and when we were getting bids for work on our house, the black contractors would be ready to give a bid, but when it came time to drive out to Orange Field they always got real busy and never showed up.

While Vidor does not have a large minority population, the schools are not the best in Orange County. Little Cyprus Mauriceville is better, and even Orange Field is pretty good. I don't know about Evadale. (Although I can tell you Evadale stinks. The paper mill really puts out an odor )

If you want a more multicultural experience,Beaumont is just right across the river, and there are some nice houses in old town. However, the school district, like any large district, has its problems.

As I have sworn off living on the Gulf Coast, I would not move back. But, if I were willing to live in Beaumont, or Orange or Orange Field or Mauriceville, I would also be willing to live in Vidor.

Cheer
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 AM
 
Location: USA
194 posts, read 458,694 times
Reputation: 235
I just drove through Vidor. Avoid it at all costs. I made the mistake of stopping by to get some food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 AM
 
1,453 posts, read 1,918,421 times
Reputation: 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
I just drove through Vidor. Avoid it at all costs. I made the mistake of stopping by to get some food.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 AM
 
2 posts, read 15,429 times
Reputation: 37
I am a black female and I'm currently attending college at Lamar. I'm from Fort Worth so I knew nothing about reputations in Southeast Texas. My boyfriend is from Vidor and I lived there with zero problems everyone in Vidor is just as nice as anyone in Texas. I think people should leave stuff in the past. Humans don't want to be judged by their past, so we shouldn't judge a certain region by their past.

I think people are either dramatic or just like attention Vidor Texas is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
 
Location: I-35
1,804 posts, read 3,768,914 times
Reputation: 721
Nothing to see here keep it moving till Louisiana straight up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,171 posts, read 4,412,483 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
I just drove through Vidor. Avoid it at all costs. I made the mistake of stopping by to get some food.
Reading and comprehension son! Did you go to school in Vidor?

RE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm not particularly interested in the views of people who stopped at the Vidor Dairy Queen one time on the way back from the casino, or who's knowledge of Vidor comes from hearsay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,171 posts, read 4,412,483 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnast76133 View Post
I am a black female and I'm currently attending college at Lamar. I'm from Fort Worth so I knew nothing about reputations in Southeast Texas. My boyfriend is from Vidor and I lived there with zero problems everyone in Vidor is just as nice as anyone in Texas. I think people should leave stuff in the past. Humans don't want to be judged by their past, so we shouldn't judge a certain region by their past.

I think people are either dramatic or just like attention Vidor Texas is fine.
Thanks for some truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top