U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 10 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,100,368 times
Austin gets its fair share of humidity--I mean, it's no Tuscon. OTOH, it's no Houston, either. I'm afraid there are not very many places that are ideal for both housing and weather without making some sort of sacrifice somewhere. I'd go for maybe something a little further north, like Waco (yes, I realize I am going out on a limb here LOL). Not huge, not small, pretty little town, great college town. Hilly, less humidity, affordable. Or you could try the Hill Country and smaller towns NW of Austin like Burnet, Fredericksburg, Kerrville.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 AM

37 posts, read 63,428 times
Default Texas

I lived in Corpus Christi for about 4 years. Coming from San Diego, it was a bit of a shock to the system. Extremely Humid !! If you don't mind humidity, then your fine, otherwise, steer clear ! Also, it was the first city I lived in where I struggled to get a decent job in the medical field ! Something is seriously wrong there !! It seems to be about who you know, rather than what you know. I checked in other cities, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, & Austin. All seemed to pay better, yet the cost of housing was the same, sometimes even lower. I think Corpus is a neat place to visit (Rockport, Port A, Padre Island) for a few days, but I would suggest spring or fall, when the ocean is blue & the humidity is much lower. June - September, its not so nice, green colored ocean, lots of seaweed, high humidity, etc. I think Austin is probably the best bet. San Antonio is cool too. Better job options. Austin is very humid, but not like Corpus. We may be moving to north Dallas area in the summer of 2009. I have never been there, but my husband has. The pay seems to be a little better than where we live now, but housing is much more afordable. We are thinking Flower Mound or Grapevine.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM

60 posts, read 119,898 times
I lived in Tucson for many years.

Lived in Houston. Humid, as humid as N.O. easy.
Austin. Humid, anyone who says differently is deluded.
El Paso. NOT recommended.
etc.

Coming from Tucson, consider LUBBOCK (200K people). It's also a college town. Very similar weather without the extremely long-lasting hot spells of Tucson, and without the monsoons.

Consider MIDLAND or ODESSA if you want a smaller place (100K people) but still with the good weather.

San Angelo if you want a bit of water around.

Colorado City is excellent living, too, and has the "lake".

Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM

7,663 posts, read 17,116,899 times
Here's a climate map - 'humid subtropical' being the light yellow. Of course, there is a range from minimal to extreme, but if you're absolutely looking for low humidity you need to stay in the light-dark orange parts of the state.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 63,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Here's a climate map - 'humid subtropical' being the light yellow. Of course, there is a range from minimal to extreme, but if you're absolutely looking for low humidity you need to stay in the light-dark orange parts of the state.

Neat map

Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,567,966 times
Dry, low humidity, cheap housing....Try any of the West Texas small metro areas. In order of my favorites:

1. Abilene
2. San Angelo
3. Amarillo
4. Midland
5. Lubbock
6. Odessa
7. Wichita Falls

All offer your needs for good weather, low humidity, and inexpensive housing stock. For small towns, I love Alpine.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM

771 posts, read 1,608,860 times
Smile I movied from Phoenix to Houston

I know everybody says that Houston has horrible humidity but it is not that bad. Yesterday was 92 degrees with a 70 degree dew point and I had no problems at all. Believe me it is no where as bad a sTucson or Phoenix in the Summer and the winters are better adn more mild than Tucson. Give it a try. Sorry, I meant to spell Moved in the title.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 AM

14,307 posts, read 25,628,621 times
the hill country is pricey in places like Boerne and Fredericksburg and maybe Kerrville--but there are some smaller towns--it is usually a little cooler during the summer than San Antonio or Austin becuase there is less concrete
higher elevation helps
El Paso does have a great winter climate--but what about the summer--HOT and HOTTER are two weather descriptions--
Alpine in the Bend country might be something to consider if you don't mind a definitely reduced exposure to commercial retail/shopping/big box type stores and facilities--

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM

238 posts, read 438,704 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. Every area of the country has its pluses and minuses.

In my opinion, the Hill Country just west of Austin and San Antonio is lovely and has some of the best weather in Texas. The ranier part of the area gets about thirty inches a year, and the dryer gets about fifteen to twenty. As far as climate, my favorite part of the area would be Kerrville. The nice thing about Kerrville is that it is close enough to San Antonio to drive to for major shopping trips, but the climate is noticeably drier.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 PM

48 posts, read 129,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

I can't read the legend - too small. Tried googling for this map but didn't find it. Can you provide the URL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas