Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,925,762 times

Advertisements

Those embryonic cells are life, but they do not constitute a person or life that is viable outside the uterus. In point of fact, a large number of potential pregnancies are spontaneously aborted very early in the process of development -- those embryonic cells are expelled from the woman's body so early that no loss of a pregnancy will even be observable to the woman in many cases. She will instead deduce that she was merely late in getting her period. Are we therefore to infer that large numbers of "babies" are dying from undetermined causes before they have the chance to be born? Is this a serious epidemic on which we should be investing millions of dollars in research to seek a cure? Well, I notice that we generally consider "infertility" to be a problem for the woman who has problems conceiving and carrying to term, but we don't seem to take the early loss of embryos as an injustice crying to heaven for redress. And of course in many instances conception takes place but the zygote fails to attach to the uterine wall. That is the occasion for the earliest spontaneous termination of a pregnancy. Were these zygotes biological life? Yes. Were they babies or persons? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,123,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
So you think the murder of thousands of babies in Texas each year is not "meaningful"? I am a gun owner and I carry, but weigh concealed carry on campus with infanticide and it is no contest. The lives of these innocent babies will trump this hand every time for me.
Oh lord.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,724,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What I dont like is late term abortions.
My wife and I struggled through two difficult pregnancies. Every day after the 24th week was a gift. I cannot understand late term abortions either.

The priorities this session will be education funding, roads, ports, water, and then other topics like abortion.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
So the Lege is wasting its brief session (and our tax dollars) on beating this dead horse yet again.

Not surprised, not even disappointed, just...tired of it.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,220,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
Abortion back on Texas Legislature's agenda - SFGate

I will be extremely disappointed if this legislature wastes all of its time on abortion issues and does not do anything meaningful to extend our gun rights such as concealed carry on campus.
Pro-choice and pro-gun. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,754,359 times
I am liberal but abortion for me is a very touchy issue - For me it will be pro-life or pro-choice depending on the case.
For example, If a horny 16 years old got pregnant because she was being irresponsible, I would say that she should not be allowed to abort the baby. But if it is the case in which the mother is in danger, and she has 3 other kids at home, I would heavily suggest the mom to abort the baby.
Like a lot of people said here, it is a gray area.

Speaking of abortion, what do you guys think of this:
Catholic Hospital Argues Fetuses Are Not People In Malpractice Suit

Do you think the church is being a bunch of hypocrites here? or do you think there is some sound reasoning behind their defensive statements?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Pro-choice and pro-gun. Thank you.
That and pro-gay rights.

The government tends to do a poor job handling social issues.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
That and pro-gay rights.

The government tends to do a poor job handling social issues.
And I am of the mind that government should keep its nose OUT of social issues, period. It interferes where it should not have the right to do so, but that's intrusive government for you.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
And I am of the mind that government should keep its nose OUT of social issues, period. It interferes where it should not have the right to do so, but that's intrusive government for you.
Im with you on that. Conservatives want to limit you social freedom and force fundamentalist Christianity on everyone while liberals think its their job to be everyones nanny and limit economic freedoms.

Im starting to warm up to the libertarian mindset. I say let people have their guns, be tactful and respectful with your religion and dont force it on everyone, let gays marry, legalize weed, and keep regulations on business' down.

Abortion is a little more tricky, but I actually would love a moderate position wherein women who have been raped or whos life is in danger by the child, or where incest or birth defects are involved would have access to abortion. I dont like the idea of it being used for convinence.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 01-25-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Exactly! (I can't give you rep until I spread it around some.) If you don't want abortion, don't get one (or let your wife or daughter get one, though I think that's overstepping your bounds, frankly). Do not seek to have the government force your own religious beliefs on others. That's what freedom of religion is all about; you can have yours, but you can't force other people to have yours if they don't agree with you. Something Governor Good Hair and some of our legislators have lost sight of, and that makes them (and their supporters) exactly the kind of people that the Constitution was written to protect us against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: