U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 01:17 PM

54,850 posts, read 43,229,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
There is this weird thing with Texans where they think Texas is so great anything that Texas does not have must be less desirable. It's weird.

I've not lived in a house with a basement since I was an infant, but I've known plenty of people who have had them and there is plenty of appeal to them.

They stay cool in the summer, (unlike a finished attic) which would be nice here..and they stay warm in the winter. Lots of finished basements are very nice....It's great to add squarefootage without taking up more yard.

I don't understand why people would not see them as anything besides a positive in and of themselves.

Yeah I get that they are not practical here in North Texas...they aren't practical and might be more trouble than they are worth. The house I grew up in didn't have one because of the water table, but just because we couldn't have one didn't mean it wouldn't be awesome to have one if it was practical.

Of course it would be awesome to have one IF IT WAS PRACTICAL. I have lived in many homes in various states that had basements -because it was practical to have a basement. I like them. I also know that the water level and soil types here in NE Texas make building a water tight basement problematic typically and so that's why they're, well, not practical most of the time.

Basements aren't some novel idea that all other Americans know about, except Texans - who are just too stuck in their ways to even entertain the notion of a basement. That's what the irritation comes from - the idea that some people have that the only reasons Texans don't build basements is because Texans are ignorant of their charms and too proud to admit it. And here we are in "Tornado Alley" and just too ignorant to build basements! Imagine that!

Sheeze!

By the way, I also know that there are exceptions to every rule, so please - don't bother pointing those out to me! I'm speaking to everyone, not you specifically, treasurevalley, for the record.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 2,003,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course it would be awesome to have one IF IT WAS PRACTICAL. I have lived in many homes in various states that had basements -because it was practical to have a basement. I like them. I also know that the water level and soil types here in NE Texas make building a water tight basement problematic typically and so that's why they're, well, not practical most of the time.

Basements aren't some novel idea that all other Americans know about, except Texans - who are just too stuck in their ways to even entertain the notion of a basement. That's what the irritation comes from - the idea that some people have that the only reasons Texans don't build basements is because Texans are ignorant of their charms and too proud to admit it. And here we are in "Tornado Alley" and just too ignorant to build basements! Imagine that!

Sheeze!

By the way, I also know that there are exceptions to every rule, so please - don't bother pointing those out to me! I'm speaking to everyone, not you specifically, treasurevalley, for the record.
I mean I wasn't speaking at you....

There are several comments by other people that based on those you would think basements are the the worst thing in the world and it is actually great that they aren't practical in most of Texas because they are just smelly dark places.

So yeah, based on that it seems like they have no notion of what a basement really is or how great they can be.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Basements can be great. Basements can also be terrible.

My advice would be that if you want a basement in Texas, build a house with a basement. Be prepared to address issues that may be unfamiliar to you if you're not from Texas (by "address" I mean, "spend lots of money on"). Good luck and please update us on your costs and benefits in five or so years!

Meanwhile, we are buying a house that has no basement. It also has no hot water heater in the attic. It has no stairs to haul laundry up and down (been there done that with a former basement or three) - it has a spacious laundry room on the main (only) level. The whole beautiful house is on one level in fact. It has a small windowless interior room on the off chance that we get a tornado warning (been through many over the years and never experienced any damage but I may opt to get in there anyway).

Honestly, after seeing so many problematic basements over the years (I sold real estate in NE Texas and while basements are not common, wherever they ARE they are generally problematic, leaky, etc.), even though I've lived in other states in homes WITH basements - nyahhhh, I'll pass. They're just not a selling point to me.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,860,261 times
In Atlanta I loved the fact that you could buy a house with a basement. I would like if more homes in Texas had basements but OH WELL.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
In Atlanta I loved the fact that you could buy a house with a basement. I would like if more homes in Texas had basements but OH WELL.
I lived in a house with a basement near Atlanta once too. It was fine except for in very heavy rains. It always smelled a bit musty but it was not a walk out basement at all - it barely had windows - if it in fact had ANY windows (I don't remember any). It was where our washer and dryer were as well as the kids' playroom. Very narrow stairs going down into it. It was fine in my twenties but I'd hate to navigate those stairs with a basket full of laundry now!

The extra space is nice though. Here in Texas many homes have a bonus room above the attic that serves the same purpose. I like having that extra room no matter where it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or